Self assist debarkation

overthesea

bdjam, You know this is a loosing battle. And I am sure you have seen other messages by this poster. No matter how logical you are, they are going to take the opposite stand on EVERY rule, if it benefits them, and they have done it time and time again here on CC.

Have a great day, and save your fingers from wearing out, you have much more important info to share, and most of us know that. ;) ;)

Well thanks for the nice complement, Toto - I appreciate the thought. I know that my posts aren't going to convince this poster - and hopefully anyone actually reading these boards for information will realize that the opinions stated are somewhat...extreme? But I believe in that old saying about giving someone enough rope - I think the noose is pretty close to being tied.

I do know that this type of passenger causes crew members to roll their eyes... :rolleyes:

I get myself & my luggage off the ship very efficiently thank you. As a matter fact if more people carried their own luggage on & off the ship themselves it would save Princess even more money.

I don't think you have enough knowledge about the costs of disembarking a ship to know what kind of money would be saved if everyone hauled their own luggage off - just the fact that people like you might submit complaints, damage claims and lawsuits because they have to take their own off would probably offset any meager savings. And I'm quite aware that your personal efficiency is your total concern.

I state how I do things & realize it's not for everyone but at least they know that it's an option for them. No one says that they must follow any advice.

Perhaps you should say "an option for them if they choose to ignore the guidelines."

Perhaps you should say "an option for them if they choose to ignore the guidelines."

An option for anyone if they're in a hurry or want to meet someone picking them up at a certain time. It sure makes for an easy disembark.

An option for anyone if they're in a hurry or want to meet someone picking them up at a certain time. It sure makes for an easy disembark.

You can do either within the guidelines - you don't have to break them to get what you want.

And all along I was trying to be nice. :rolleyes: I guess if we ever cruise together I'll just have to continue with my old ways. :p

You wouldn't know how. :rolleyes:

Again, I think you just come on here to stir the pot and enjoy being a troublemaker.

You can do either within the guidelines - you don't have to break them to get what you want.

One way I ask for a self disembarkation & I specifically said approximately 10 AM since I don't know the departure time I need. They assign me a early 8 AM departure. Great. So now if I follow the schedule they give me I have no idea of how quickly they'll get the passengers off & then I stand on the dock waiting for my ride (Not knowing when they'll arrive). If I give them my luggage I have to worry about any breakables. btw- There are NO seats on the pier which causes me to have to stand there for an undetermined amount of time.

My way, I ask for self disembarkation, I let almost everyone off the ship & wait for my ride to arrive in the comfort of the ship & leave just as they arrive. If my ride get there earlier, fine, I'm ready to go. What so bad about that? I didn't inconvenience anyone, I carry my own luggage, I don't get in anyone's way, nothing gets broken & everybody's happy. :D Except you & a few others in this group. :(

If you could explain a better way to accomplish the same thing please do so.

You wouldn't know how. :rolleyes:

Again, I think you just come on here to stir the pot and enjoy being a troublemaker.

That's not always true but sometimes I can't help myself after reading some of the far-fetched comments posted.

One way I ask for a self disembarkation & I specifically said approximately 10 AM since I don't know the departure time I need. They assign me a early 8 AM departure. Great. So now if I follow the schedule they give me I have no idea of how quickly they'll get the passengers off & then I stand on the dock waiting for my ride (Not knowing when they'll arrive). If I give them my luggage I have to worry about any breakables. btw- There are NO seats on the pier which causes me to have to stand there for an undetermined amount of time.

My way, I ask for self disembarkation, I let almost everyone off the ship & wait for my ride to arrive in the comfort of the ship & leave just as they arrive. If my ride get there earlier, fine, I'm ready to go. What so bad about that? I didn't inconvenience anyone, I carry my own luggage, I don't get in anyone's way, nothing gets broken & everybody's happy. :D Except you & a few others in this group. :(

If you could explain a better way to accomplish the same thing please do so.

i dont' think it's a problem if you wait until the end especially if you don't have a lot of luggage and it's not blocking any public areas...but you should wait until the end as to not hold up groups leaving at their assigned times...you say you basically have carry on really since your luggage is so small so you probably don't have to even go out of your way to request self debarkation from the pursor's desk...

i actually agree with you on this post, not sure why you try to flame people with other ones though...

One way I ask for a self disembarkation & I specifically said approximately 10 AM since I don't know the departure time I need. They assign me a early 8 AM departure. Great.

If you want to self disembark, you are supposed to get off the ship early - there's a reason for this and it's so that you don't disrupt the people who are getting off when called. One person - you - may not upset the process, but the guuidelines are in place so that people follow them and don't all just get off whenever the hell they feel like it - upsetting the process. But apparently you're above the guidelines the rest are asked to follow.

If you're doing carrying your luggage, you could get a 10:00 color call and leave then. But face it, you enjoy upsetting the apple cart and that's what it's really about.

Posters on internet boards don't have the authority to provide exemptions from rules. I'll speculate most companies will allow for reasonable exceptions/accommodation if a customer asks nicely. However saying something like a poster on the internet said I could do it probably carries very little weight.

There is some evidence that Carnival is enforcing policy regarding self-assist debarkation. I'd be careful making plans that will only work if you can work around cruise line rules regarding debarkation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854492

Posters on internet boards don't have the authority to provide exemptions from rules. I'll speculate most companies will allow for reasonable exceptions/accommodation if a customer asks nicely. However saying something like a poster on the internet said I could do it probably carries very little weight.

I did ask Princess nicely & they completely disregarded my request so what you say is true but at the same time what can the cruise ship possibly do about it? A person who is supposed to leave at 8 AM with the first group then shows up at 9:45 or 10 AM, are they going to say "you can't get off the ship because you missed you time slot" - hardly ;) . At that point in time they want everybody off & will never tell you otherwise.

Take a look at the link I previously posted. I understand Carnival isn't the same as Princess but FWIW at least two posters were not allowed to debark at a time of their choosing. I don't know if they would have been physically restrained if they insisted on walking off the ship but many (most?) passengers won't disregard a direct request/order. I'd be concerned that security/customs might decide to give me "special attention" if I walked off after being told not to.

Previous posters have indicated it's a customs requirement that self assist debarkers get off the ship first. It sounds like the amount of luggage you carry is close to what others would consider "carry on" so the normal policies may not be relevant to your situation.

The only risk I see is if Princess insists that passengers that miss their scheduled debarkation time wait until the last group leaves. Not an issue if your driver has to wait a few extra minutes. I'd assume you'd leave first if you had an early flight to catch.

Incidentally my comment about a "reasonable" request might not apply to this situation. Assuming it's a customs requirement that self-debarkers leave first then it's not reasonable to ask Princess to disregard government rules.

To answer the OPs question. You can request self assist debarkation and you'll leave first. You can leave with your assigned group. I'm sure you can be the last group to leave the boat. I doubt anyone is going to force you off the ship early. BUT based on reports of a couple of posters you may have an issue if you pick an intermediate time.

So far rcacace hasn't had an issue leaving at a time of his choice but there isn't any guarantee that will continue, particularly if you have a reasonable amount of luggage.

OK, since this had become a bigger topic that it worth talking about, lets say for the sake of a little peace I choose to get off the ship with the 9:30 AM crowd just as I used to before any of this early disembarkation came about. I'll get my assigned color, sit on the outside of the ship watching all the incoming deliveries & when they call my color I casually take my time until my ride arrives. Isn't that a better way for all my fellow passengers? Is everybody satisfied now. btw- I'll have luggage with me as many other passengers also do. :cool:

OK, since this had become a bigger topic that it worth talking about, lets say for the sake of a little peace I choose to get off the ship with the 9:30 AM crowd just as I used to before any of this early disembarkation came about. I'll get my assigned color, sit on the outside of the ship watching all the incoming deliveries & when they call my color I casually take my time until my ride arrives. Isn't that a better way for all my fellow passengers? Is everybody satisfied now. btw- I'll have luggage with me as many other passengers also do. :cool:

Only problem with that is they don't make announcments anymore. :eek:

Only problem with that is they don't make announcments anymore. :eek:

I'm really not waiting for any announcement but biding my time waiting for a cell call that my ride has arrived & then I can proceed to the gangway & be gone. I suppose I should at least select a color that would be called before my ride arrives. I haven't paid attention but do they still assign colors?

I haven't paid attention but do they still assign colors?

Yes but the color groups are assigned a staging area bar/lounge/etc where they will be taken by ships personel to the gangway when that color is due to get off.

They call it a silent disembarkation. ;)

Yes but the color groups are assigned a staging area bar/lounge/etc where they will be taken by ships personel to the gangway when that color is due to get off.

They call it a silent disembarkation. ;)

Colo, I think there are many that have not been onboard a princess ship since they have changed the disembarkation procedure (many ships it changed just over a year ago). The silent procedure is so much nicer. And it keeps people from hanging around in the public areas and blocking the exits.

All you have are those going to or coming out of the lounge they are assigned to wait in.

I have to admit, this has made disembarking the ship so much nicer and less chaotic than it used to be, totally organized compared to in the past. :) (and it totally eliminated the stair sitters.) LOL

Colo, I think there are many that have not been onboard a princess ship since they have changed the disembarkation procedure (many ships it changed just over a year ago). The silent procedure is so much nicer. And it keeps people from hanging around in the public areas and blocking the exits.

All you have are those going to or coming out of the lounge they are assigned to wait in.

I have to admit, this has made disembarking the ship so much nicer and less chaotic than it used to be, totally organized compared to in the past. :) (and it totally eliminated the stair sitters.) LOL

I think your right.

It does seem to work much better. :)

Archived