Self assist debarkation

overthesea

Sort of. There are still those people who should have been off the ship at their assigned time earlier in the morning -- and they are in the way when the groups who are to follow them are leaving.

I haven't heard of to many people who want to stick around any longer than they have to.

The US Customs Officials and Port Security Staff insist that anyone taking their own bags off the ship do so first. This avoids unnecessary congestion later when several thousand additional suitcases are delivered to the terminal.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with this decision - although it does make sense.

Taking your own suitcases off the ship only makes sense if you are in such a rush that you cannot wait for the stevedores to take them off for you.

What is the point of carrying your own suitcases off the ship later in the day?

I agree.

Self-disembarkation is a very nice option, but not always as easy as one might think to carry and maneuer around all of your luggage, carry-ons, handbags, etc. in one trip without any assistance! I have seen folks really struggling with it! Keep in mind that in some ports you must negotiate escalators or s step here and there. I'm sure, in addition to the above comments, Princess want those doing self-disembarkation off early as they do not want the elevators tied up with the luggage.
Exactly. There's overlap and the self-disembarkation people can, and do, tie up elevators which means that people in wheelchairs in the first colors called who actually need the elevators have to wait. This has happened to me a couple of times; we had "red 1" tags and had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator because those who were supposed to be able to handle their own luggage weren't and were using the elevators.

Exactly. Those that wish to self disembark are the first ones off. This stops all the problems that those trying to carry their own luggage can cause for a massive group trying to disembark to claim their luggage in the terminal.

Self Embarkation doesn't give you a choice. You want to carry your own luggage, you are the first group off. If not, put your luggage out the last evening and claim it in the terminal. Self disembarkation is for those that wish to disembark the ship the earliest, not at their convienence.

There are often huge hold-ups by people doing self-disembarkation who can't manage their luggage, their kids, or their stuff and make those equally anxious to disembark wait behind them.

I haven't heard of to many people who want to stick around any longer than they have to.
When we're disembarking in San Pedro, we have someone coming to pick us up and we DO like to stick around longer than we have to. It makes getting our luggage and leaving the pier a lot easier. You see posts all the time by people saying that the worst part of the cruise was having to leave. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, my wife and I departed the Crown in Copenhagen (3,000+ passengers). We were staying over an extra night and so had no reason to rush to the airport or anywhere else. We planned to do a day of sightseeing in Copenhagen. We each had one wheeled bag and a small carry-on that we could easily handle, so we signed up for self-disembarkation (note it is not called early-disembarkation). On the night before we reached Copenhagen, we received a notice that we were to assemble in such and such a place at 5:15 am and would be allowed to disembark from there at some later time - no time specified. Frankly, if I had known they expected you off the ship that early, I would have let the ships crew unload our luggage, as we have in past. We did not meet at 5:15. We got up at a more reasonable time, we had a bite to eat, we left our stateroom by 8:00 am, as requested, and we ambled off the ship. We noticed no real traffic at the gangway - a few people ambling off as we were. We held no one up; no one held us up; no one checked any boarding passes. Leaving the ship was completely uneventful. Once off the ship, we qued up for a taxi, and got one about 20 minutes later. As an aside, Princess tells you to take their transfers because there are few taxis available. That is probably good advice for most people, but should not discourage anyone from making their own plans. The taxis do come, but you do wait a bit. By taxi it cost us half of what it would have cost by Princess transfer to reach the Radhausplaz (City Hall Square).

Bottomline - Princess neglects to mention that self-disembarkation really means early-disembarkation, sometimes early, early, disembarkation. Unless you really need to get off that early, don't bother. That said - don't be afraid to bend the rules a little. If many of us had decided to do what we did, there would still have been no more of a delay at the gangway than we routinely witnessed (with minimal delay) when disembarking for shore excursions.

Mike

.....Bottomline - Princess neglects to mention that self-disembarkation really means early-disembarkation, sometimes early, early, disembarkation.

Bottomline... it is clear to me:

and I quote from the Princess site:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na932

In addition to the enhanced disembarkation program, in many ports departing passengers can also take advantage of an express disembarkation option in which those who choose to carry their own luggage off the ship can elect to be part of the first group exiting the ship, allowing them to get an early start on their post-cruise travel plans.

.....Unless you really need to get off that early, don't bother. That said - don't be afraid to bend the rules a little. If many of us had decided to do what we did, there would still have been no more of a delay at the gangway than we routinely witnessed (with minimal delay) when disembarking for shore excursions. Mike

And you can all tell us how you did not inconvenience anyone ... but you do not get it. If you choose to carry off your luggage you are expected by Princess and the rest of your fellow cruisers to be the first off. We do not want to trip over your bags because you have some fear of putting them out the night before.

It is not a minor bending of the rules. To some of us this can be up there with chair hogs or some of the other "rules" people rationalize they can ignore. It is a flatly ignoring of a process all lines have honed over years of experience for your own self centered reasons.

Bottomline... it is clear to me:

and I quote from the Princess site:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na932

In addition to the enhanced disembarkation program, in many ports departing passengers can also take advantage of an express disembarkation option in which those who choose to carry their own luggage off the ship can elect to be part of the first group exiting the ship, allowing them to get an early start on their post-cruise travel plans.

And you can all tell us how you did not inconvenience anyone ... but you do not get it. If you choose to carry off your luggage you are expected by Princess and the rest of your fellow cruisers to be the first off. We do not want to trip over your bags because you have some fear of putting them out the night before.

It is not a minor bending of the rules. To some of us this can be up there with chair hogs or some of the other "rules" people rationalize they can ignore. It is a flatly ignoring of a process all lines have honed over years of experience for your own self centered reasons.

I can fully appreciate the reasoning behind wanting to get the self disembarkation off first but if that were totally a true objective then they shouldn't allow ANY packages to be carried off the ship at any time other that the first group. I carry all my luggage & depart at 10 AM, even though I was assigned to be among the first, there are loads of folks carrying & rolling all sorts of things. Are they any different because they have 2 or 3 large suitcases waiting for them in the terminal? What make is any worse if I carry or roll along my only small 23 inch suitcase. :confused: As long as I'm capable & not slowing down anyone by doing so, I intend to continue until they ban everyone from carrying all packages off the ship. (and no I don't take them to breakfast) .

Bottomline - Princess neglects to mention that self-disembarkation really means early-disembarkation, sometimes early, early, disembarkation. Unless you really need to get off that early, don't bother. That said - don't be afraid to bend the rules a little. If many of us had decided to do what we did, there would still have been no more of a delay at the gangway than we routinely witnessed (with minimal delay) when disembarking for shore excursions.

Mike

Mike- I'm really beginning to believe that there are those in this group who feel that they must be the rule keepers for Princess & quote them at every opportunity. They seem to be sitting there picking apart each & every post waiting to pounce on any infraction no matter how trivial. I found the same thing to be true about self disembarkation being very early but since I hold up no one & it suits my needs I will continue to do so.

These self appointed rule keepers will continue to be annoyed at anything & everything that doesn't conform & I an only imagine what they must do in everyday life when something doesn't seem perfectly correct to them. :eek:

You seem to.

When my ride arrives I'm gone. That's what makes self disembarkation so nice. I've all my luggage & leave when I need to, not when Princess decides to dump me on the dock with the truck & bus fumes & no seating.

Thr reentl chaotic mess of disembarkation in Sydney from Sun Princess has made me intend to do self demarkation next year from New Zealand. The bags were beigng brough through customs xray from the boat in no apparent order and everyone was waiting around long long after their alloted times still waiting for white 1 when white 6 had already been unloaded or the same with the other colours. The thought that the fork lift truck driver could be asked to comply with th colour arrangements did not go well as no one could ask him as he worked for a different union than anyone else.

Many people on flights had to leave for the airport and leave their bags behind as they had not yet appeared.

Due to this chaos we missed the third train we could have caught by 2 minutes and then had a two hour wait for the next one not something I intend to let happen again.

Regretfully things do not always work out well or as intended but I shall not waste another full day journying on what should have b een 1 2 hour trip Dont worry we wont use the likt we always use the stair up and down unlike a lot of capable travellers.

Mike- I'm really beginning to believe that there are those in this group who feel that they must be the rule keepers for Princess & quote them at every opportunity. They seem to be sitting there picking apart each & every post waiting to pounce on any infraction no matter how trivial. I found the same thing to be true about self disembarkation being very early but since I hold up no one & it suits my needs I will continue to do so.

These self appointed rule keepers will continue to be annoyed at anything & everything that doesn't conform & I an only imagine what they must do in everyday life when something doesn't seem perfectly correct to them. :eek:

I find it interesting that some people find a need to break every guideline that's put in front of them. I'm sure Princess and the port authorities make the guidlines just to inconvenience people. I often find myself in a disembarkation color that isn't convenient for me - and a trip to the Purser's desk to ask for a color that is takes care of the issue instantly. I can get off the ship when I want and still stay within the guidelines.

Believe it or not, Princess knows how to move passengers - fighting their process only makes it worse - and perhaps not for those who fight it, but for everyone else.

I find it interesting that some people find a need to break every guideline that's put in front of them. I'm sure Princess and the port authorities make the guidlines just to inconvenience people. I often find myself in a disembarkation color that isn't convenient for me - and a trip to the Purser's desk to ask for a color that is takes care of the issue instantly. I can get off the ship when I want and still stay within the guidelines.

Believe it or not, Princess knows how to move passengers - fighting their process only makes it worse - and perhaps not for those who fight it, but for everyone else.

And I'll bet you never carry any packages or hand luggage with you, because you're so considerate and follow every rule to the letter.

And I'll bet you never carry any packages or hand luggage with you, because you're so considerate and follow every rule to the letter.

Well, you're right - I am considerate and I do follow the rules - I figure they are in place for a reason. At the very least, the guidelines are in place based on the ships mode of operation and ignoring or challenging them doesn't help the ship run properly. The rules about getting luggage off are there for efficiency - so people don't get stuck waiting on the pier because someone has fouled the process - and for safety...mine and yours.

As for hand luggage, I don't think there is any guideline that says one cannot carry it off themselves. In fact I think Princess encourages people to carry medication and breakable items off the ship in their hand luggage.

bdjam, You know this is a loosing battle. And I am sure you have seen other messages by this poster. No matter how logical you are, they are going to take the opposite stand on EVERY rule, if it benefits them, and they have done it time and time again here on CC.

We all know that following simple rules onboard ship make it better for everyone, and it is only a few that seem to complicate that process. It is THEIR VACATION and they are going to do it the way THEY WANT whether it's right or wrong and since they will probably never see the other passengers again, they just don't care who they inconvience.

Your just wasting your breathe with someone like this that is only hear to start an arguement or keep a hot topic going, like the energizer bunny.

Have a great day, and save your fingers from wearing out, you have much more important info to share, and most of us know that. ;) ;)

Well, you're right - I am considerate and I do follow the rules - I figure they are in place for a reason. At the very least, the guidelines are in place based on the ships mode of operation and ignoring or challenging them doesn't help the ship run properly. The rules about getting luggage off are there for efficiency - so people don't get stuck waiting on the pier because someone has fouled the process - and for safety...mine and yours.

As for hand luggage, I don't think there is any guideline that says one cannot carry it off themselves. In fact I think Princess encourages people to carry medication and breakable items off the ship in their hand luggage.

I get myself & my luggage off the ship very efficiently thank you. As a matter fact if more people carried their own luggage on & off the ship themselves it would save Princess even more money.

bdjam, You know this is a loosing battle. And I am sure you have seen other messages by this poster. No matter how logical you are, they are going to take the opposite stand on EVERY rule, if it benefits them, and they have done it time and time again here on CC.

We all know that following simple rules onboard ship make it better for everyone, and it is only a few that seem to complicate that process. It is THEIR VACATION and they are going to do it the way THEY WANT whether it's right or wrong and since they will probably never see the other passengers again, they just don't care who they inconvience.

Your just wasting your breathe with someone like this that is only hear to start an arguement or keep a hot topic going, like the energizer bunny.

Have a great day, and save your fingers from wearing out, you have much more important info to share, and most of us know that. ;) ;)

I state how I do things & realize it's not for everyone but at least they know that it's an option for them. No one says that they must follow any advice.

I get myself & my luggage off the ship very efficiently thank you. As a matter fact if more people carried their own luggage on & off the ship themselves it would save Princess even more money.

easy to do when you never take a change of clothes.....and take a backpack to carry off those blue and white towels.

easy to do when you never take a change of clothes.....and take a backpack to carry off those blue and white towels.

Don't worry about that, I've got my change of clothes & have them dry cleaned every few days. (jeans included) My suit jacket probably has been dry cleaned more times that it's been worn. :p

Don't worry about that, I've got my change of clothes & have them dry cleaned every few days. (jeans included) My suit jacket probably has been dry cleaned more times that it's been worn. :p

Me worry?.....I never worry about GOFs

Toto-I'll buy you a drink when we sail together.:)

Archived