Scuba diving - Ship excursion vs. local

tommy2tone_1999

Which is the better choice, to book my dives through Carnival, or go to a local dive shop? By better, I guess I mean what are the pros and cons? (better experience, cheaper, better reefs, more bottom time, gets you back to the boat on time, etc.)

Also, if local is better, which shops do you recommend. I'm an experienced diver, but I'm diving with my 16 year old who was certified last May. Which is best for him?

Carnival uses a local company, but your more than likley going to be in a group. I would google dive paradise and check thier rates. You would get more personalized service.

Which is the better choice, to book my dives through Carnival, or go to a local dive shop? By better, I guess I mean what are the pros and cons? (better experience, cheaper, better reefs, more bottom time, gets you back to the boat on time, etc.)

We get this asked from time to time, so I thought I'd just give my opinion as to what I think are some reasons a person might want to use the ship's dive excursion or make their own arrangement, so here goes

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions the sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:

• usually cost less
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:

• more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion

Pros:

• easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:

• Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

I hope this will help others decide which to choose, as there is no one right answer for everyone, every time.

Also, if local is better, which shops do you recommend. I'm an experienced diver, but I'm diving with my 16 year old who was certified last May. Which is best for him?
For my money, I think local is better, especially in Cozumel.

My personal favorite is Christi's http://www.bluextseadiving.com

I'd also consider http://www.scubawithalison.com who Christi recommends when she's fully booked.

Maybe also look at http://www.scubatony.com and http://www.living-underwater.com

• 1 year later...

We just returned from Cozumel a week ago after cruising on the Conquest. Six of us chartered scubatony for the afternoon. We had 3 certified divers, 2 snorklers and 1 beginner diver. We had an excellent time. Diving was fabulous. Snorklers were able to snorkle above the divers. We all came away with a souvenier water bottle! We highly recommend Tony!

• 5 months later...
We just returned from Cozumel a week ago after cruising on the Conquest. Six of us chartered scubatony for the afternoon. We had 3 certified divers, 2 snorklers and 1 beginner diver. We had an excellent time. Diving was fabulous. Snorklers were able to snorkle above the divers. We all came away with a souvenier water bottle! We highly recommend Tony!

who is Tony?

Archived