Dress Code Off Ship (Morocco)

MESH

:)Although we have been on many cruises, it has been nearly 40 years since I have been to Europe. We are doing a back to back cruise -- Western Mediterranean followed by a Trans-Atlantic.

Are blue jeans appropriate for shore excursions at places such as Malta, Morocco, Tunis, etc.? Any other advice on appropriate dress would be appreciated.

Celebrity has been a great line to sail on. We have done Alaska, Panama Canal, and Hawaii.

Thanks for your help. We are getting excited to say the least.

We are on the same cruises--Galaxy in Nov/Dec. In Morocco as elsewhere we will wear either Khaki or dark wash jeans and dress somewhat conservatively. Exactly what, depends on the weather that day. We are packing very light and have beige nylon jackets w/ removeable liners/sleeves and a hidden hood option. When we were in Rurope last Spring there were many jeans and comfortable shoes.

...Are blue jeans appropriate for shore excursions at places such as Malta, Morocco, Tunis, etc.? Any other advice on appropriate dress would be appreciated.
I second *conservative* dress in conservative countries - at a minimum covered legs, covered shoulders and upper arms, covered chest. I don't think that blue jeans would cause a problem, other than they can get rather hot on a hot day - I might suggest lighter khakis which are both a little more upscale [can be worn in the ship dining room without potential hassles] and probably cooler - of course they do show more dirt.

Just got back from Morocco and Celebrity insisted on long pants for men and covered arms and knees for ladies - Did not see any jeans.

I don't see how Celebrity could have 'insisted' unless you were maybe on an organised tour.

Morocco is actually an extremely liberal country, whilst I would not condone strappy tops and shorts, you certainly do not need to keep your full arms and legs covered. A normal short sleeve shirt will be fine and even a skirt so long as it is not too short, say nothing above the knee. You will actually find that a lot of Moroccan women, particularly the younger generation, wear quite a lot of Western clothing.

I have spent a great deal of time working in numerous areas of the country over the past couple of years, so I am more than familiar with what is acceptable there.

We were in in Tangiers on Sept 17 in the middle of Ramadan.The Century News the day before requested that no shorts be worn and sleeves and skirts and slacks below the knee for women. Similar to what you should wear inyou visit a church in Europe. Our guide Ali did say that many more Moroccans dress traditionally during this month of fasting. We were on a organized ship tour and all but one of people followed this request. One woman was so inappropiately dressed that I cringed as she boarded the bus.:o Walking through the Caves of Hercules and the Medina, the locals all noticed this woman and I can only guess what they were saying!

I don't see how Celebrity could have 'insisted' unless you were maybe on an organised tour.

Morocco is actually an extremely liberal country,

Like the Netherlands or Scandinavia? :D:D

I don't disagree with your commentary overall, the Mahgreb ain't Arabia in that way, and the present King seems to be doing well on most counts. But characterizing an islamic monarchy as 'extremely liberal' seems a wee bit misplaced (compared to what?).

Just got off the constellation and the city smelled like an open sewer. Would never return there. Also we did not feel safe. Cab driver wanted fifty five american dollars to return us to the ship. He settled for ten dollars. When we return to ship at 10 am the line was long. Most people came back and also did not feel safe. If you do want tour I suggest you use the ships tours. Do not go out on your own. One of our tablemates had his camera taken from him.

Having been to Africa and many of the countries there, I STRONGLY suggest that all women wear skirts and not pants. The skirt must cover the knees, and the longer the better.

Culturally, women who wear pants are seen as "loose women" and I also suggest that as you are visiting a country with many Moslem people, a scarf loosly over your head would be respectful. Shoulders should also be covered.

Men should NEVER wear shorts as again, culturally, only boys wear shorts. Trousers are a must all the time.

The people you meet are usually kind and generous, and by showing respect and tolerance for THEIR traditions will ensure you feel safe and welcome.

Having been to Africa and many of the countries there, I STRONGLY suggest that all women wear skirts and not pants. The skirt must cover the knees, and the longer the better.

, a scarf loosly over your head would be respectful. Shoulders should also be covered.

Sorry can't agree with this - Morocco is not Saudi Arabia and lots of Moroccans (especially young people) wear western dress. I was there last month and I believe it is quite safe - yes, of course be respectful of other cultures but as long as women wear appropriate dress i.e. skirt or trousers and sleeved top and men wear trousers and sleeved top there is no need to go over the top.

That is fine, don't agree. I was making a suggestion. Anyway, I was not referring to the full Moslem garb head dress here. I said a scarf loosly over the head.... respect is respect. Whether you agree or not, it is making yourself blend in and not offend anyone. This is always the rule when travelling to foreign places, whether you agree or not. ;) I don't know about you, but I would not want to stick out too much in some places in Africa. More about survival and having a good time, rather than making MY point known to the locals!

Here is an excellent artical about Dubai concerning two British citizens - we think of it as a liberal place? Think again! No matter what others look like - do your own research. :)

Anyway, in Africa women and men have distinct roles - you can't simply look from a western world view there. If you do Deeliteful, that is fine, but don't give advice to others that dressing like Australia, UK and USA is fine because it is misleading as from my real experience it is not true - especially during Ramidan.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24023147-5014090,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24285545-1702,00.html

Not trying to get into a debate here - I accept your opinion even if I don't agree with it - I was there during Ramadan and only speak as I find.

What I am trying to say here is to try and stop some of the paranoia I sometimes see on these boards about places like Morocco and Europe (full of pickpockets and thieves) - it isn't like that.

I would still say (and I have travelled many times to places such as Morocco and Egypt) be respectful and don't wear revealing clothing and my other point would probably be to stay with the tours and not travel alone to out of the way places. (Having said that I travelled alone in Egypt with no issues whatsoever).

Pat

I have now had chance to read your articles and I don't think you have to be in a Muslim country to find that behaviour offensive.

I don't think it adds credence to your dress code points at all (in fact I think it detracts from sensible debate).

That is fine, don't agree. I was making a suggestion. Anyway, I was not referring to the full Moslem garb head dress here. I said a scarf loosly over the head.... respect is respect. Whether you agree or not, it is making yourself blend in and not offend anyone. This is always the rule when travelling to foreign places, whether you agree or not. ;) I don't know about you, but I would not want to stick out too much in some places in Africa. More about survival and having a good time, rather than making MY point known to the locals!

Here is an excellent artical about Dubai concerning two British citizens - we think of it as a liberal place? Think again! No matter what others look like - do your own research. :)

Anyway, in Africa women and men have distinct roles - you can't simply look from a western world view there. If you do Deeliteful, that is fine, but don't give advice to others that dressing like Australia, UK and USA is fine because it is misleading as from my real experience it is not true - especially during Ramidan.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24023147-5014090,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24285545-1702,00.html

Just one point Dubai, is not Morocco.

Like the Netherlands or Scandinavia? :D:D

I don't disagree with your commentary overall, the Mahgreb ain't Arabia in that way, and the present King seems to be doing well on most counts. But characterizing an islamic monarchy as 'extremely liberal' seems a wee bit misplaced (compared to what?).

I meant that Morrocco is extremely liberal when compared to many other Muslim countries. I have never had an instance where I did not feel safe, although common sense must be applied, the same as anywhere.

I have spent many many months working there, in Tangier, along both coasts and in Marrakech (which is beautiful by the way). During Ramadan everywhere will be noticeably quieter, until the evening when everywhere comes to life.

I repeat wearing western clothing is absolutely fine, so long as it isn't too short or revealing. I wouldn't feel it necessary to cover my head as quite frankly many young Morroccan women don't. We were at a Moroccan wedding recently and the clothing worn by the ladies was extremely beautiful, however whilst they wore full length gowns, they were very sensual outfits and not at all what you might expect.

It is nonsence to suggest that you should not wear trousers, it is common place amongst Moroccan women, particularly in the workplace.

Archived