An Explorer review from an "old salt"

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your positive review - we love Explorer too, and we sailed in 1548 on AOS, so reading your comments brought back nice memories. We haven't been to Bermuda in over 20 years - it's time go back there on EOS soon!

Loved the review, thanks!

You're welcome! :)

Great review. I too remember holding onto my skirt climbing up the staircase to the Viking Crown Lounge. When I tell this to people they can't believe it. I'm glad someone else was able to validate my memory.

Do you remember the portholes in the deep end of the pool?

I was walking down the hall on my way to my cabin and I noticed those big portholes on the inside wall...with shimmering blue water. I wondered how the heck the sea could be seen on the INSIDE of the ship, until I saw legs kicking. :confused:

I stood there in amazement, hoping nobody saw me while I was swimming the previous day. :eek:

I'm sure it was amusing to some people. So glad ships don't have THAT feature anymore. ;)

I've tried pasting my review here, but it's a wide format and difficult to read, so here is the link. I hope you enjoy reading it.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=47336

Hello, I was wondering, how did you get the opportunity to dine with the Captain. We are also Diamond members and have not yet had this happen. :o

Great review and right to the point. We agree with your comments (5 star). Real nice group of guests on this cruise. We consider this a well managed ship. We were able to see all the shows including the Ice show and we enjoyed them all.

Hello, I was wondering, how did you get the opportunity to dine with the Captain. We are also Diamond members and have not yet had this happen. :o

If I knew why I would post it, but I really don't know. In the past there were only a handful of repeat cruisers so it was easier to receive invitations. Now, there are thousands of us.

I've cruised many times without an invitation as well, so it's anyone's guess.

I've been invited when I've booked inside cabins as well as being in an OV and a GS, so I don't think that matters (unless you're in a Royal Suite, then maybe it's a guarantee...I wouldn't know about that);)

Best wishes and happy cruising...:)

Mary

Great review and right to the point. We agree with your comments (5 star). Real nice group of guests on this cruise. We consider this a well managed ship. We were able to see all the shows including the Ice show and we enjoyed them all.

Thanks Grandsix! Yes, you are so right....They put on great shows! I wanted to see them again (I really wanted to be in 2 places at once). ;)

You're right about the nice group of passengers. Wasn't it a nice, relaxing cruise! :)

I'll be back later. I'm going to a formal Afternoon Tea at Acorn Hall in Morristown, NJ today. It should be a nice afteroon for all of us bags (hehehe). :D

Love the Explorer. Enjoyed you review. Will be back on her in April for 12 days and hopefully again in August 2009 to Bermuda

Thanks for the read! Always love to go "back"! :)

You're both welcome....and thank you for taking the time to reply. :)

I've tried pasting my review here, but it's a wide format and difficult to read, so here is the link. I hope you enjoy reading it.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=47336

i was on this sailing too (and also cruised the EX last december). i agree, everything was wonderful. had a great time, except the art auction guy, he was a real creep!

i was on this sailing too (and also cruised the EX last december). i agree, everything was wonderful. had a great time, except the art auction guy, he was a real creep!

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't encounter him! How was he creepy? Was he rude or sneaky? I've never been to the art auctions. Will the same guy stay onboard, or do they rotate the auctioneers?

Thanks for the positive review. My sister-in-law cruised on Explorer in July and loved everything except the food, which both her and her husband were disappointed in. We are cruising on Explorer in February and I feel a lot better about the food after reading your review. Thanks again.

Hi sea-cruise,

Great review! It was more interesting because DH and I are sailing the Explorer November 30th for the 12 dayer, and we also have GS 1548! Any secrets regarding the room? We are really looking forward to the GS. Have done a few JS on the Empress OTS, and an OS on the Grandeur, but we are really looking forward to this sail. I am sure you are probably DPlus by this time, so was there an extra lounge for the Diamonds and DPlus? Was the CL really crowded?

We did the NCL Sun in April/May, a 19 day Panama Canal cruise, and were in a suite. We were treated so royally, we are anxious to compare the two.

Thanks for taking the time to post a great review.

Helen

Hi Helen! Glad you'll be in 1548!! :) As for the secret:

We kept hearing faint music coming out of the speakers on the ceiling, that were hooked up to the tv. I called Guest Relations and I was told that the control for that background music is on the TV's remote. She told me what button to push. I kept pushing it and nothing happened.

I called back and spoke with a gentleman. He told me that I would have to turn the knobs on the wall as you enter the stateroom. That didn't work either. :confused:

Finally our steward, Nigel, entered and when I asked him, he went over to the bedside and pushed a knob in until it clicked. I had been turning that knob, plus every other knob in that stateroom like a maniac. :o

Also, the bathtub has a unique way of switching over from shower to faucet, including closing the plug. Ask Nigel about that as well.

He kept the stateroom immaculately clean. When delivering the strawberries, wine, etc, he was never intrusive (nor did he ring the bell)....Just a quiet knock.

1548 is towards the bow so you only have to go towards the stern and one deck down to reach the CL. It was not crowded at all. We were there each night from 6:30 to 8:00 visiting with newfound friends.

There is no seperate D/D+ lounge onboard, but we always found comfortable seating. You will like Ricardo. No, I'm not a D+ because many of my 35 cruises were with other cruiselines, and instead of paying for suites for myself and DH, we have always used the extra money to buy passage for our married children and grandchildren in seperate cabins.

I was spoiled having this GS, but I only had it because of an upgrade.

As I said to the previous poster, I hope that the staff is not on a rotation when you sail, and I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did. :)

Mary

Archived