Your recommended restaurants to eat local fresh fish and seafood?

Breezey

Well now that our excursions are pretty well sorted out, next priority search -LOCAL RESTAURANTS. Unfortunately the CC search engine seems not to be working much lately so decided to start a thread.

We are not looking for the big ship excursion salmon bake recommendations or anywhere fancy but places we can try catch of the day in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Stitka.

Since so many of you seem to have been to Alaska plenty of times, suspect you have some local favorites. Your recommendations are always appreciated.

Hey Breezy - thanks so much for starting this thread. I've been wondering the same thing.

I am not a fish or seafood person but really wish I were. Periodically I try fish again but never seem to like it. I'm all prepared to try it again in Alaska and figure it may be my best chance yet at finding some I like.

So all of you experts, where are the best places for fresh, awesomely prepared fish and seafood???

Probably my top choice is Thane Ore House out of Juneau. You do need to make reservations for a shuttle. Twisted Fish on the dock is also very good. Ketchikan's little "shack" on the dock has very good halibut, the only thing I have ordered a few times. :)

in ktn, take the funicular or hike up to the cape fox lodge. it's going to be raining so this will be a good break. have the seafood chowder and enjoy the view. their chowder is almost as good as mine.

We can stop by your house???? :) :) :)

Annebelle's...Good seafood, great atmosphere, lots of locals and independent travelers. The town was deserted after the cruise ships left town...wandered around and found just about everyone was at Annebelle's. http://www.gilmorehotel.com/annabelles.htm

Burger Queen...very casual...great halibut and chips. Popular with locals...take note of their sign explaining name choice.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=burger+queen+ketchikan&fb=1&view=text&latlng=15585412895971350466

Agree that a visit to the Cape Fox Lodge is worthwhile. Wander around the lobby...take a look at the totem poles in front of the entrance. A round trip funicular/Married Man's Trail taking in the creek area is a nice way to experience Ketchikan.

Yes...expect rain. If you're "lucky" you'll be treated to a real downpour. Take note of the "tres chic" Extratufs...the local shoe of choice.

In Juneau there's a little outdoor stand called Tracy's King Crab Shack. It right next the parking structure, down a little lane in downtown. The best crab bisque and crab cakes. They do have outdoor seating and some under an awning. Not fancy, but very fresh and excellent.

In Icy Strait Point, you HAVE to go to "The Office" bar if you like crab!!!! Caught fresh and cooked right after you order. Not a fancy restaurant, just a local bar.:D

So right...I love the Office Bar! We were there when the ships weren't in port and no steamed crab. They did have it on ice and was it ever good!

I also want to add: If you go to the Office and some in your party don't like crab, just go down the street (not far; just 1 or 2 blocks); and look for the red two story bldg on the left. It's called The Galley. They have wonderful subs (made with homemade bread) and absolutely wonderful Halibut Pizza! You can buy it by the slice and one slice is a meal for sure! I'm sure you can take it to go and then go back to the Office for the crab lovers in the group!

Gosh, could I ever go for some good Hoonah food right now!!!!!

When in Skagway, be sure to swing by the Skagway Fish Company. Their halibut fish and chips along with their clam chowder was among the best we had on our cruise.

Thanks Hawaiian. Interestingly enough our last cruise sailed out of Honolulu and through the Hawaiian islands. What a wonderful experience and looking forward to going back one day.

On BQ's recommendation we ordered a halibut bowl at Thorn's Showcase Lounge in Seward. It was fantastic, and I usually don't like halibut! A "small" will feed 2 reasonable adults. Thorn's even got a mention in the LA Times a few months ago. I realize the OP isn't visiting Seward but others might.

Archived