*My Shark Experience On Majesty Of The Seas!*

Skyev21

Awesome video!

My DH and I were swimming at Chankanaab Park, Cozumel. I was taking underwater photos when I turned around and my heart stopped.:eek: There about 20 feet away (and under a dock) was what I at first thought to be a small shark. I pointed it out to my DH and looked back at the "shark". It was swimming towards me. :eek: YIKES!!! I turned again toward my husband and he was GONE! He had taken off and left me behind. :mad:

As it turns out, it was a very large resident barracuda. :D Scary enough!

You scared me...lol! One of the main reason I love to go to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel besides the fact that the water is so beautiful is you dont have to worry about sharks.

I've never seen one while on the island but when I was on the Mariner recently I saw a decent sized shark while tendering back. It was at least 6 feet. Someone told me that they have nets to keep out the larger sharks...don't know if that's true or not. Makes me feel better. :o

I've never seen one while on the island but when I was on the Mariner recently I saw a decent sized shark while tendering back. It was at least 6 feet. Someone told me that they have nets to keep out the larger sharks...don't know if that's true or not. Makes me feel better. :o

They just tell u that to make u feel better.:p

You scared me...lol! One of the main reason I love to go to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel besides the fact that the water is so beautiful is you dont have to worry about sharks.

Never been to Mexico but hope so in the future!

Sounds wonderful!:)

We did a reef swim a few years back and I was somewhat nervous when our guide started to throw chum in the water and said, "Ok hop in!"

We got in the water and snorkled around a bit and much to my surprise a 6' nurse shark swam right under my flippers.

Yeah I know they aren't maneaters but I'm a big guy and that damn fish was bigger 'n me and was a bit unnerving.

We did a reef swim a few years back and I was somewhat nervous when our guide started to throw chum in the water and said, "Ok hop in!"

We got in the water and snorkled around a bit and much to my surprise a 6' nurse shark swam right under my flippers.

Yeah I know they aren't maneaters but I'm a big guy and that damn fish was bigger 'n me and was a bit unnerving.

OMG!!! You're crazy! :eek:

There's a HUGE difference between swimming in the water & just walking in shallow water! Ahhhh!

Hope I never book that excursion!:D

They just tell u that to make u feel better.:p

LOL! No, there are no nets. That's a good one. :rolleyes: :D

:eek: NO NETS??!!! LOL, I figured as much but I'm ok with it...really I am. :D I used to snorkel all the time when I lived in St. Thomas for a short stint...I only saw one shark and it was when I wasn't snorkeling and he was pretty small. :) The big one I saw on the tender I would not like to meet up with face to face...just sayin'.

:eek: NO NETS??!!! LOL, I figured as much but I'm ok with it...really I am. :D I used to snorkel all the time when I lived in St. Thomas for a short stint...I only saw one shark and it was when I wasn't snorkeling and he was pretty small. :) The big one I saw on the tender I would not like to meet up with face to face...just sayin'.

St Thomas is such a beautiful island! Was just there a few months ago.

Megans Bay was a bit cloudy so I was concerned what was underneath us the whole time! Ahhhh!

Big or small... Don't wanna get that close ever again! lol!:D

St Thomas is such a beautiful island! Was just there a few months ago.

Megans Bay was a bit cloudy so I was concerned what was underneath us the whole time! Ahhhh!

Big or small... Don't wanna get that close ever again! lol!:D

HA! Understood. ;) I remember the first time I ever snorkeled was in Key Largo on a cloudy/rainy day. I was really panicky because it was cloudy and the water was a little murky but my brother really wanted to snorkel so I went. I made him hold my hand. We couldn't really see much. I remember though that about 10 minutes into it I saw something big and freaked out. I don't think I ever swam so hard in my life to get back to shore! Now I know that it was most likely a tarpon but man was I freaked out back then. When I first moved to St. Thomas and started snorkeling I was paranoid that I would come face to face with a shark or a great barracuda but never did. I'm much more comfortable with it now. :) BUT I still don't do murky.

Thanks for sharing the video though. It's pretty cool.

HA! Understood. ;) I remember the first time I ever snorkeled was in Key Largo on a cloudy/rainy day. I was really panicky because it was cloudy and the water was a little murky but my brother really wanted to snorkel so I went. I made him hold my hand. We couldn't really see much. I remember though that about 10 minutes into it I saw something big and freaked out. I don't think I ever swam so hard in my life to get back to shore! Now I know that it was most likely a tarpon but man was I freaked out back then. When I first moved to St. Thomas and started snorkeling I was paranoid that I would come face to face with a shark or a great barracuda but never did. I'm much more comfortable with it now. :) BUT I still don't do murky.

Thanks for sharing the video though. It's pretty cool.

Lol!

Here's my video of St. Thomas if you'd like to check it out...

Might bring back some memories for u?:D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWK4kOWO3U

Lol!

Here's my video of St. Thomas if you'd like to check it out...

Might bring back some memories for u?:D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWK4kOWO3U

It does! Thanks for sharing! I wish I would've taken so many more pictures when I was there. It was an adventure...I hated driving in town but it became sooo much easier after awhile. I used to have to go in town to get my mail...lol.....not so fun when there were 5+ ships in. I quickly learned to look at the schedules to see how many were in before I would go to get my mail. ;) Drake's Seat overlooking Magen's was my thinking spot. :)

Back to da ship?!

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

I would love to see your pictures/video. Send to LisaDpe@aol.com .

Thanks for the pictures!

OMG:eek: I would've just died, panicked and been killed on the spot!;)

You ARE the MAN! If you haven't seen these pics, ask for them! They will let you know in no uncertain terms what you can and can't do.:cool:

Thanks for the pictures!

OMG:eek: I would've just died, panicked and been killed on the spot!;)

You ARE the MAN! If you haven't seen these pics, ask for them! They will let you know in no uncertain terms what you can and can't do.:cool:

I agree! Now that is NUTS... or u need BIG ones!!! lol!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...
It does! Thanks for sharing! I wish I would've taken so many more pictures when I was there. It was an adventure...I hated driving in town but it became sooo much easier after awhile. I used to have to go in town to get my mail...lol.....not so fun when there were 5+ ships in. I quickly learned to look at the schedules to see how many were in before I would go to get my mail. ;) Drake's Seat overlooking Magen's was my thinking spot. :)

Back to da ship?!

I took almost 2,000 pics on our 7 day cruise but last week my computer crashed & I never backed them up so I lost them all!

Still got all my videos tho!

Good thing DH has a copy on his computer! Ahhhhhh!!!!!

What a beautiful place to live.

Thanks for your story.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the video. Been there many many times and even done the jet ski excursion but yet to see a shark. That'll be on my mind next time I'm there (smile).

Dave

Great Dave!

Just make sure you have your camera handy! lol!

:D

Archived