*My Shark Experience On Majesty Of The Seas!*

Skyev21

Here is the link to the specific part of the web site. It is hard to find on the general site

http://67.199.62.226/DiveBahamasMgmt.aspx?id=2&pageId=65

It says the return to the docks is 5 PM. I don't remember what time the ship departed then, and I don't have the itinerary still on the computer. This was in April, 2007.

Jim

Long story. Not at Coco Key, but off the Majesty. I had pre-bought a scuba dive in the Bahamas. The night before I was notified that the dive was cancelled because I was the only one signed up. I went down to the desk and happened on Ricky, who (last I knew) is now on the Liberty. He was the dive coordinator on board and told me to meet him on the pier in the morning and he would hook me up with a dive. Cool.

Next morning, he was there, but the dive he tried to get for me was full. But, there was one at 12:30. Problem was, I had the Segway excursion booked for then. I ran around, managed to change the Segway trip to the morning one and had Ricky get me on the 12:30 dive.

The Segway was a hoot! In training, we pushed it forwards and backwards in one spot, just finding the limits. Problem is, if you push it too far it thinks it is being dumped, it shuts down and cages the gyros, and you really then dump. I landed hard on my nose, skinning my knuckles, which were around the handle, pretty good. Anyway, I cleaned up and went on the Segway tour, and it was great!

I was there at 12:30 and the mini-bus picked me up for the dive. The bus was pretty full and by the chatter I gathered that this was not to be a normal dive, but a shark dive. That thought pulled me up big time, but I thought that I have seen this and I could stand to be in a cage and watch the critters and take pictures. The bus took us to the Stuart Coves dive shop. I did have the opportunity to skip it and take a regular tourist dive at registration time, but I decided the adventure would be good. I had my shorty wet suit, but the required everyone to have a real, full length suit.

http://www.stuartcove.com/

We got on the boat and set out. Where was the cage? Well, there was not one. This was in the open!

The first dive was a normal tourist dive. We explored the reef, went down about 95 feet and stayed maybe 40 minutes. I saw a few sharks patrolling the bottom, but never got close to one. I had big time problems with my bouyancy since the full wet suit was a lot more bouyant than my own, and I had to put on more weight two times in order to descend. Oh, the salt water stinged my knuckles and they were oozing blood.

For the second dive I was the last tourist off the boat since I added even more weight. After I dropped in and looked down I could not see the bottom (about 30 feet down) through the backs of all the sharks prowling around just above the rest of the group. I started to climb back on board the dive boat exclaiming that they were all nuts, but the young camera girl took my hand and said come down with me. So I did, through the sea of sharks. They had us form a circle on the bottom, holding onto rocks so we would neither float up nor move. The instructions were clear. Don't move; keep your hands crossed on your chest and never, ever stick out a hand even to take a picture. Meantime, my knuckles continued to ooze blood.

I had my underwater camera ready, even if I had to point and shoot blind. Then, they brought the bait box into the middle of the circle, and the divemaster disappeared in the swirl of the feeding frenzy. If anyone wants a couple of pictures, post with an email address.

When the bait ran out, the sharks, and I would guess there were over one hundred of them, started nosing around, checking out the divers in the circle, brushing past them and bumping into them. It seemed like I was of more interest to them than the others. Did I mention that my knuckles were oozing blood?

Anyway, the sharks finally gave up on us and swam away, and we ascended. I not too politely told them that they were all ******* crazy!

Yes, I did buy the video they took.

Now, that is seeing sharks from the Majesty!

Jim

of Jim and Joan

I would love to see some pictures too! Send to dana w hill at yahoo dot com. Can you not post the video or pics? I'm sure most would be interested.

Thanks,

Dana

Glad it was your video rather than your family on the news footage under the heading, SHARK ATTACK.

Great that you got to see it and great that it didn't mistake you for food or get curious about what you are and take a little nibble from yours or your childrens legs.

Well I used to love Coco Cay until seeing that...nay just kidding! That would of been great to see a shark swimming like that so close. Were you filming that on the back side of the island? We were stupid when we visited and didnt walk around to the back until it was almost time to go. The water was alot clearer back there because there wasnt anyone stirring up the water. I would of stayed backed there all day.

I can't watch the video right now (I'm at work) but we did see a few small sharks along the "quiet" side of the island--I believe it is the north side. They seemed to be minding their own business and not bothering anyone. There was a dad and kids sort of following them around though: "Hey everyone, come look at the sharks!!!" :eek:

I've only read 19 replies so far, and I did enjoy the video, but I'm surprised I might be the first to criticize. Observing is great, but intenionally trying to interfere with its path seems less than a good idea to me. I'm no shark expert, but I watch Discovery Channel and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The Segway was a hoot! In training, we pushed it forwards and backwards in one spot, just finding the limits. Problem is, if you push it too far it thinks it is being dumped, it shuts down and cages the gyros, and you really then dump. I landed hard on my nose, skinning my knuckles, which were around the handle, pretty good. Anyway, I cleaned up and went on the Segway tour, and it was great!Jim

of Jim and Joan

Not to hijack the thread ,I wanted to add that I loved the Segway tour. Our only incident involved what happens when the open wheels of two different segway's touch each other. The guide called it "Segway Sex". He also complimented me on my dismount.

Not to scare anyone, but for every shark that you do see, there are about 10 that you do not see within 100 yards of you. Most of them mean no harm to you. There are a few that frighten me, but they are rarely seen around shallow beaches.

Has anyone ever seen reef sharks at Cococay, Bahamas?:eek:

Well, I did!... :p

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HNjYlddhWYM

This was my 2nd time on RCCL's Majesty. It's a beautiful island.

This was our 1st port stop on our cruise onboard Royal Caribbean's Majesty Of The Seas. It was taken completely by chance!

I left DH at the beach bar & headed towards the water to capture the surrounding beauty. Little did I know, I wasn't ALONE in the water! This was the 2nd shark that came right up to me that day but this was much bigger! I only followed it because I was very brave after a couple Pina Coladas! I am TERRIFIED of sharks so this was a moment I'll NEVER forget! Other beach goers (& their small kids) got in on the chase too! It was the best footage I've ever shot! Hope u enjoy it too! P.S. Thank God he wasn't hungry!

It was an experience I'll NEVER forget!:)

Just wanted to share my story & ask if anyone ever had any shark or other encounters while on vacation too?

Last December we saw a shark at Cococay. It was in very shallow water (3-4 ft.). We were told it wasn't dangerous but I wasn't going to stay in the water to find out. Also saw a barracuda and a Stingray the same day. Keep your eyes wide open when swimming at Cococay.

Glad it was your video rather than your family on the news footage under the heading, SHARK ATTACK.

Great that you got to see it and great that it didn't mistake you for food or get curious about what you are and take a little nibble from yours or your childrens legs.

OK.............?:confused:

P.S. Those were not my kids. Some other passengers behind me. I would never allow my kids to get that close!:eek:

I've only read 19 replies so far, and I did enjoy the video, but I'm surprised I might be the first to criticize. Observing is great, but intenionally trying to interfere with its path seems less than a good idea to me. I'm no shark expert, but I watch Discovery Channel and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In making this video, No animals were harmed! :D :D :D

Ask anyone who has SCUBA dived the Caribbean and they will tell you that nurse and reef sharks are plentiful and that they are seldom a threat. They can be inquisitive but generally do not view humans as dinner. Southern sting rays and barracuda are also non-threatening. A popular shore trip in the Caymans is to snorkel at sting ray city where the southern sting rays will allow you to touch them. Barracuda while fierce looking - they swim with their mouth open - are just curious. I have dived with all four of these sea creatures and not had a problem. I have a lot of underwater pictures of them in their native habitat.

Chasing a wild animal whether it be on land or in the sea is generally not the brightest thing you could do. Wild animals are just that - wild.

Ask anyone who has SCUBA dived the Caribbean and they will tell you that nurse and reef sharks are plentiful and that they are seldom a threat. They can be inquisitive but generally do not view humans as dinner. Southern sting rays and barracuda are also non-threatening. A popular shore trip in the Caymans is to snorkel at sting ray city where the southern sting rays will allow you to touch them. Barracuda while fierce looking - they swim with their mouth open - are just curious. I have dived with all four of these sea creatures and not had a problem. I have a lot of underwater pictures of them in their native habitat.

Good post. I swim with these creatures regularly. Just last weekend, a 4-foot Great Barracuda approached me. Yes, they look like the devil. But they are harmless if you don't taunt them with flashy jewelry or bait.

As for stingrays, if they swim toward you, they will not attack you. they are very docile. Stingrays attack as a defense mechanism when you step on them or chase them from behind.

I'm either having deja vu or I've seen this posted before. I don't get it? Would you mind explaining it to me?:)

I wish the forum allowed private messages. I assume you are referring to the Holiday Inn remark. Its from their commercials. They imply that by staying at a Holiday Inn Express you must be very smart.

Good post. I swim with these creatures regularly. Just last weekend, a 4-foot Great Barracuda approached me. Yes, they look like the devil..

Thats the truth, I was snorkeling in Hananuma (sp) bay in Oahu and came face to face with one. Fortunately it knew maritime courtesy rules and we past each other to the right. Impressive looking teeth. I'm sure I looked pretty ugly to it as well.

That's just it... I don't scuba dive, not to get too close to 'em.

I'll leave that to u guys.:D

Would love to see your pics too.

Not to scare anyone, but for every shark that you do see, there are about 10 that you do not see within 100 yards of you. Most of them mean no harm to you. There are a few that frighten me, but they are rarely seen around shallow beaches.

Great!... That makes me feel much better! lol!:D

I'll remember that for next time!

I swim with nurse sharks all the time. There's a reef right off of Pompano Beach where a large family of nurse sharks live. They're really tame around humans. Most of the time, they're even afraid of us. The other day we did come across a baby hammerhead which was really cool. We started following it real closely but it got scared and swam away. Barracudas are also really tame. I've had large schools of barracudas swim right by me. Their teeth are actually sharper than shark teeth, but they rarely ever bother humans.

Which beach at Cococay are most of the shark sightings at? I'll be there in just over a week and would love to go looking for some sharks.

Awesome video!

My DH and I were swimming at Chankanaab Park, Cozumel. I was taking underwater photos when I turned around and my heart stopped.:eek: There about 20 feet away (and under a dock) was what I at first thought to be a small shark. I pointed it out to my DH and looked back at the "shark". It was swimming towards me. :eek: YIKES!!! I turned again toward my husband and he was GONE! He had taken off and left me behind. :mad:

As it turns out, it was a very large resident barracuda. :D Scary enough!

I swim with nurse sharks all the time. There's a reef right off of Pompano Beach where a large family of nurse sharks live. They're really tame around humans. Most of the time, they're even afraid of us. The other day we did come across a baby hammerhead which was really cool. We started following it real closely but it got scared and swam away. Barracudas are also really tame. I've had large schools of barracudas swim right by me. Their teeth are actually sharper than shark teeth, but they rarely ever bother humans.

Which beach at Cococay are most of the shark sightings at? I'll be there in just over a week and would love to go looking for some sharks.

That's why I live down here! lol!:D Keep 'em up there off Pompano Beach for u guys to enjoy! lol!:p

I'm surprised to see how many dare-devils are out there!:eek:

The beach is on the opposite side of where the boat tender is.

Walk past the giant slide, right next to the colored kayaks stacked up against the palm tree.

Most important... not too far from the bar! lol!:D

Have a great time & make sure to keep your video camera handy at all times.

This video was the 2nd one I saw that day. The 1st came inches away from my left leg, in about 3' deep waters!

I even tanned in about 2' deep water with the beach lounge chair. Imagine how long it was swimming around me! Pretty cool tho!:D

Awesome video!

My DH and I were swimming at Chankanaab Park, Cozumel. I was taking underwater photos when I turned around and my heart stopped.:eek: There about 20 feet away (and under a dock) was what I at first thought to be a small shark. I pointed it out to my DH and looked back at the "shark". It was swimming towards me. :eek: YIKES!!! I turned again toward my husband and he was GONE! He had taken off and left me behind. :mad:

As it turns out, it was a very large resident barracuda. :D Scary enough!

OMG!!! U had me holding my breath!:eek:

LMAO @ your DH leaving u behind!

Still, a barracuda! They're soooo scary looking!

Great story! Thanks for posting it.:)

Archived