Pearl: Why is the buffet so popular???

mtwingcpa

Just back from a great 19 day cruise (through the Panama Canal) aboard the Pearl. Here's what I noticed about the restaurant options:

The two "free" main dining rooms were OCCASIONALLY busy, the specialty restaurants were MOSTLY EMPTY (so much so that they began offering an all-hours 2-for-1 deal after the first week), but the buffet was almost always PACKED!!!

So what's the deal? Why do people seem to clearly prefer the buffet???

Is it because of the (even more) relaxed dress code?

Is it because there is no way you can feel guilty about not leaving an additional cash tip?

Is the service in the regular restaurants that bad?

Do people simply prefer the "help yourself" format of the buffet?

Or ???

I don't know whether the particular crowd on this cruise was unique in some way, but it seemed like the cruise line had really guessed wrong in terms structuring its food service.

And, while I'm at it, here are my reviews:

The two "free" dining rooms were both "good" although service was sometimes just a bit slow and lackluster (for lack of a better word). I noticed that I always ordered from the "always available" section of the menu rather than the daily rotating specials.

I also ate at Cagney's, the Lotus Garden and Mambo's. Each were "good" in their own right, but none were really outstanding. I'd rate Cagney's as the best of the three.

Also did room service a few times, especially for dinner on "port days." It was definitely "adequate." One time they lost my order, but other than that I appreciated the service (and not having to get all cleaned up again for dinner).

I ended up eating many meals in the buffet, especially the Great Outdoors section on the aft deck. What can I say? The food was just "basic" but it seemed to fill the bill. And a LOT of other people seemed to feel likewise.

Not speaking from experience with the Pearl, but just Cruising experience in general...

I think most people are driven by their schedule. Because of excursions and scheduled events on board, people feel they can control the amount of time they will take for a given meal, whereas the time for the meal is more extended in the Restaurants.

Most people aren't interested in an extended full course breakfast, most are used to having "coffee and" on-the-run at home.

They may feel they can eat less and lighter at the buffet for Lunch, and Breakfast, saving their calories for Dinner.

Nancy

We've been on a few NCL cruises and we noticed that there are a number of different reasons people make certain choices. One that we noticed was cultural, some people just prefer to serve themselves and not having to deal with a waiter.

Personally, we prefer to go to dinner and be waited upon. But we have gone to the buffet when there were time constraints that didn't allow us to go for the sit down dinner.

In fact, if the dining room is open for lunch, I will always go to see the menu there to decide if I'm going to have a full lunch or a buffet lunch.

My problem with the buffet was always quality. I like to be picky sometimes. I might as well eat less of great food than lots of a lesser quality food. It's not the same choice that other people make and that's fine. And as such, I don't usually eat white pasta (whole wheat). I haven't found a pizza on a cruise ship that was really worth eating. I know my cheap cuts of meat from my expensive cuts and how they should be cooked. So, if I see something nice on the lunch menu, I go there. If I go to the buffet I take a nibble of different things until I find something I like. And there have been a few times where I haven't found anything that I really liked... and skipped lunch. I think the last time I did that was on the Caribbean Princess.

My view... eat what you like. Try new things that you wouldn't at home, because if you don't like it, the fish in the sea will. And don't overdo it, simply by being picky about the quality of what you eat instead of the quantity.

I have read several reviews for the cruise you were and that said there were more kids on that cruise than they had seen on any other cruise. That could be one factor as in genereal, kids like a buffet more than the atmosphere in the main dining rooms. Also, we have friends who have sailed on the Pearl and they told us that out of all the cruises they have been on the Pearl has the best buffet not only as far as food, but as far as the way it is set up, so that could be another factor.

One word: Toddler :) Now that we have one, eating buffet style is faster (she won't last through a 2 hr meal) less stress, (don't have to dress up or worry about babbling/messiness).

In our pre-kid days we still ate in the buffett, just not as much as we do now. My husband prefers the more relaxed atmosphere and flexibility.

You seemed to have answered some of the reasons why buffets are more popular. We have had the same problems in the dining room, slow and sometimes not good service. We don't mind tipping extra if the service is good though.

We were on the Pearl in August and really enjoyed the buffet. The layout and selection of food was great. I liked the idea of having the desserts cut and put on serving plates. When people helped themselves the items were usually left in a mess.

One night we tried Mambos and enjoyed it. Loved those lobster tacos.

I know that on the Princess ships you can usually get almost the same items they serve in the dining room, except lobster. We check the menus and sometimes end up in the dining room.

We've been on a few NCL cruises and we noticed that there are a number of different reasons people make certain choices. One that we noticed was cultural, some people just prefer to serve themselves and not having to deal with a waiter.

Personally, we prefer to go to dinner and be waited upon. But we have gone to the buffet when there were time constraints that didn't allow us to go for the sit down dinner.

In fact, if the dining room is open for lunch, I will always go to see the menu there to decide if I'm going to have a full lunch or a buffet lunch.

My problem with the buffet was always quality. I like to be picky sometimes. I might as well eat less of great food than lots of a lesser quality food. It's not the same choice that other people make and that's fine. And as such, I don't usually eat white pasta (whole wheat). I haven't found a pizza on a cruise ship that was really worth eating. I know my cheap cuts of meat from my expensive cuts and how they should be cooked. So, if I see something nice on the lunch menu, I go there. If I go to the buffet I take a nibble of different things until I find something I like. And there have been a few times where I haven't found anything that I really liked... and skipped lunch. I think the last time I did that was on the Caribbean Princess.

My view... eat what you like. Try new things that you wouldn't at home, because if you don't like it, the fish in the sea will. And don't overdo it, simply by being picky about the quality of what you eat instead of the quantity.

Guess I don't quite understand where culture comes into the picture??? I think people use the buffet on all lines, because it is quick, there is a variety of foods and it often fits in with their schedule better.

Nita

I have read several reviews for the cruise you were and that said there were more kids on that cruise than they had seen on any other cruise. That could be one factor as in genereal, kids like a buffet more than the atmosphere in the main dining rooms. Also, we have friends who have sailed on the Pearl and they told us that out of all the cruises they have been on the Pearl has the best buffet not only as far as food, but as far as the way it is set up, so that could be another factor.

You must be referring to my cruise on the Star last spring. There were, indeed, a LOT of kids on that trip and most of the restaurants were full most of the time. Even more so in the buffet area!

But I was referring to my trip on the Pearl ending last week. There couldn't have been more than a dozen kids of school age or younger on board, so the "kid factor" doesn't explain it. Most of the passengers were in their 50s and 60s, and I would normally think that crowd would prefer "table service" dining.

Meanwhile, I had also heard good reviews about the buffet on the Pearl and some of the other NCL ships that follow a similar approach. So, I suppose they have simply succeeded in "dialing in" that format. Now, if they would just expand the seating! :-)

Guess I don't quite understand where culture comes into the picture???

I had wondered about language issues, such as is people having difficulty reading the menus or communicating with the waitstaff. They might greatly prefer the "what you see is what you get" approach of the buffet. Also the order in which items are served.

I had wondered about language issues, such as is people having difficulty reading the menus or communicating with the waitstaff. They might greatly prefer the "what you see is what you get" approach of the buffet. Also the order in which items are served.

Language issue? Are you referring to the passengers or the crew? We have never had a major problem with the language the crew speaks as their first language. Sure, some are not fluent in English or have heavy accents, but never has this been such a problem that we could not communicate..

Nita

Just back from a great 19 day cruise (through the Panama Canal) aboard the Pearl. Here's what I noticed about the restaurant options:

The two "free" main dining rooms were OCCASIONALLY busy, the specialty restaurants were MOSTLY EMPTY (so much so that they began offering an all-hours 2-for-1 deal after the first week), but the buffet was almost always PACKED!!!

So what's the deal? Why do people seem to clearly prefer the buffet???

Is it because of the (even more) relaxed dress code?

Is it because there is no way you can feel guilty about not leaving an additional cash tip?

Is the service in the regular restaurants that bad?

Do people simply prefer the "help yourself" format of the buffet?

Or ???

I don't know whether the particular crowd on this cruise was unique in some way, but it seemed like the cruise line had really guessed wrong in terms structuring its food service.

And, while I'm at it, here are my reviews:

The two "free" dining rooms were both "good" although service was sometimes just a bit slow and lackluster (for lack of a better word). I noticed that I always ordered from the "always available" section of the menu rather than the daily rotating specials.

I also ate at Cagney's, the Lotus Garden and Mambo's. Each were "good" in their own right, but none were really outstanding. I'd rate Cagney's as the best of the three.

Also did room service a few times, especially for dinner on "port days." It was definitely "adequate." One time they lost my order, but other than that I appreciated the service (and not having to get all cleaned up again for dinner).

I ended up eating many meals in the buffet, especially the Great Outdoors section on the aft deck. What can I say? The food was just "basic" but it seemed to fill the bill. And a LOT of other people seemed to feel likewise.

We were on the same cruise and we thought the food was wonderful. The buffet had so many choices and the vegetable curry was superb along with many other selections that were good on the buffet.

The pay for restaurants were all great. We ate at them all. Cagney's the most but La Cuciana and the Osso Bucco was "to die for". We had a big group and all thought so. It was the best cruise we have ever had with the most wonderful people. Where did we meet all those great people? Right here on CC and the M&G.

The best cruise so far and the best food I have ever had on a cruise ship.

:D :D :D

It has been awhile-- but if I recall the buffet was fairly busy at breakfast and lunch-- but not so much at dinner. "For a buffet" we really thought it was one of the better ones on a ship. The food seemed "fresher"-- and for the most part tasted really good. Personally, I would much rather sit and have someone bring me my food-- then getting up and down all the time:) ! Unless of course, I am pressed for time.... I love desserts! I always feel guilty ordering two.... so since confession is good for the soul-- we would sometimes check out the buffet after/before show for a second (third?) dessert.

Guess I don't quite understand where culture comes into the picture??? I think people use the buffet on all lines, because it is quick, there is a variety of foods and it often fits in with their schedule better.

Nita

Some people prefer to serve themselves rather than be served, this can be something cultural. Not all cultures like to be served and sit for a formal meal.

Some people don't speak English well and don't want to go through the hassle or having to try to understand the menu. Not everyone on a cruise is a native English speaker.

Language issue? Are you referring to the passengers or the crew? We have never had a major problem with the language the crew speaks as their first language. Sure, some are not fluent in English or have heavy accents, but never has this been such a problem that we could not communicate.

There was a large number of German passengers on this trip and I know for fact that some of them spoke little English. Meanwhile, I doubt that many of the waitstaff spoke German (although the executive chef, coincidentally, was German).

I also ran into a few passengers who spoke only Spanish, but I'd guess they would have an easier time of finding like-speaking crew members.

Many announcements on the ship were repeated in both German and Spanish. And they had a separate disembarkation briefing that was conducted entirely in German.

There was a large number of German passengers on this trip and I know for fact that some of them spoke little English. Meanwhile, I doubt that many of the waitstaff spoke German (although the executive chef, coincidentally, was German).

I also ran into a few passengers who spoke only Spanish, but I'd guess they would have an easier time of finding like-speaking crew members.

Many announcements on the ship were repeated in both German and Spanish. And they had a separate disembarkation briefing that was conducted entirely in German.

Did you get to meet the executive chef, Andre? He is so funny and so nice. I bet he is a blast to work for...

Did you get to meet the executive chef, Andre?

Didn't meet him personally but I attended a "slide show" he gave regarding food services aboard. Interestingly, he said the buffet was his favorite restaurant because of all the choices and that much of the food was cooked "on the spot" at the service line.

We were on the same cruise and we had dinner with a number of the German guests and had conversations with some of the Frence guests. They spoke very good english and liked the food on board. Seems they all have to learn mulitiple languages in Europe. They were all delightful and fun to be with. I don't know about the spanish speakers but everyone I saw was having a great time.:D :D

Nick

Some people prefer to serve themselves rather than be served, this can be something cultural. Not all cultures like to be served and sit for a formal meal.

Some people don't speak English well and don't want to go through the hassle or having to try to understand the menu. Not everyone on a cruise is a native English speaker.

you are right, but I think this accounts for a very few of those who choose the buffet. I think many other issues enter into the picture. We were on a Princess cruise earlier this year. There was a very large group from Japan and many did not speak English. (surprise in a way) they mostly ate in the dining room, certainly for dinner they did.

We have done several cruises both Europe, and transatlantic where there have been German tourists as well as those from other countries. They still choose the dining room as much as the buffets.

I am not argueing some would prefer the buffet for this reason, but I really don't think it is a major reason. I would guess on most cruises the language barrior for passengers would account for maybe 5% of those who choose the buffet.

I didn't think the OP was referring to just the cruise he was on, but cruises overall. If he was, maybe there the language barrior made a difference.

Nita

I didn't think the OP was referring to just the cruise he was on, but cruises overall. If he was, maybe there the language barrior made a difference.

Your first sentence is on target. I was referring more to the (obviously successful) format of the Pearl buffet than to specific situations on this particular trip.

But, that said, there were a lot of foreign language people on this trip. I would guess that to be a contributing factor to the popularity of the buffet, but would agree that it is probably a minor one.

In any event, the overall situation was interesting. It seemed to me that NCL should convert one of the "main" dining rooms into an additional buffet! :-)

Your first sentence is on target. I was referring more to the (obviously successful) format of the Pearl buffet than to specific situations on this particular trip.

But, that said, there were a lot of foreign language people on this trip. I would guess that to be a contributing factor to the popularity of the buffet, but would agree that it is probably a minor one.

In any event, the overall situation was interesting. It seemed to me that NCL should convert one of the "main" dining rooms into an additional buffet! :-)

ok, now I understand, but I am afraid, if they change one dining room into a buffet would this leave a total overcrowding in the main dining room? I wonder?

Nita

ok, now I understand, but I am afraid, if they change one dining room into a buffet would this leave a total overcrowding in the main dining room? I wonder?

Yeah, converting an ENTIRE dining room might be overkill. But, if this cruise was typical of most, they could definitely reapportion the seating space in the various (often virtually empty) restaurants to provide more buffet seating.

I was on the Pearl, 19 day Seattle to Miami. The reason why most people had their meals in the Garden Cafe was due to slow service in the restaurant and the bad food. Otherwise it was a great cruise with perfect weather. We loved eating dinner in the open air of the Garden Cafe watching thunder storms in the distance. :)

I was on the Pearl, 19 day Seattle to Miami. The reason why most people had their meals in the Garden Cafe was due to slow service in the restaurant and the bad food. Otherwise it was a great cruise with perfect weather. We loved eating dinner in the open air of the Garden Cafe watching thunder storms in the distance. :)
you mean the food was better in the buffet than the main dining rooms?

Bad Food? We ate in the buffet and thought the food was very good.

We also ate in La Cucina and Cagney's and the other pay restaurants.

We were often with a group of 12. Even with a big group the service was great or maybe we didn't care how long it took because we were having fun. I didn't hear any complaints about the food. I agree about the back of the ship....we ate there every morning after our walk.

Nick

Archived