New ship versus older ships

toledo_cruiser

Noticed where you work...we were married there by Captain Gregory in April 1986. What a wonderful place..maybe that's why I love cruising so much!

To answer the OP, I too prefer the "older" ships. I guess it's all relative. When I started cruising back in the 80s most of the ships sailing then were well over 20 years old, some 40+. Then Carnival introduced the Holiday and Celebration and I thought they were the biggest thing in the world, size-wise. The ships I used to sail back in the 80s were around 16-20K tons. VERY small by today's standards. Further, we go on a cruise to relax so rock climbing, surfing, ice skating, anything that requires me to get out of the chaise by the pool (except to eat or go to the bar, of course) is right out. For example, on our last cruise on the Imagination we had an aft OV room. That window, because of the slope of the aft of the ship, had a window seat that I could fit in very comfortably. I would sit back there and read or just watch the wake of the ship, sometimes for hours on a sea day. However, I know that some people love all the activities and thank goodness it's available for those who enjoy it!! I think if you take inventory of what you are looking for as far as a cruise goes, you will know which to take.

To wareaglefan, just wanted to say WAR EAGLE! Class of 86 here! Also, not sure where you are from, but my hometown is Dothan. Don't see too many listed from "LA" here :D

Old ships look dated and worn. Not just a issue if the newer ships have bells and whistles or the food and service is the same, they look their age in many cases. The cabins are smaller. Fantasy ships OVs are 185 s.f. and 220 s.f. on Conquest class. I enjoyed my 220 s.f. cabin, even if you call it a bell and whistle.

That being said Ecstasy is a real bargain compared to Conquest so of course because of the lower price per day it will always be filled.

I dont think anyone is saying bigger is better, they are saying older ships look their age, have smaller cabins and yes a few less amenities like the pay restaurant that some enjoy. The suites on newer ships are more private, etc. I also enjoyed the sushi bar on Conquest which Ecstasy lacks.

Raise the per day price of the older ships so they were just as expensive per day as a newer ship and Ill bet many of the supporters would dissapear. I think its all about $$$$.

Show their age? To me that is the same as complaining about Carnival's wild decor. As long as the hull doesn't take on water where it shouldn't, the DECOR is fine by me. As long as its clean, its fine by me. Decor just is what it is. Yes Fantasy class cabins are 185sf, JUST like balcony cabins on the "NEW" ships are 185sf. As I already posted, the issue is short cruises, otherwise, I'd use older ships. Possibly the last long cruise on a Fantasy class ship was the Paradise 15 day repo from Miami to Los Angeles. We were on it.

If a Fantasy class and a Conquest class were doing the same 7 day or longer itinerary I'd take the cheaper one no matter which class was the cheaper. Proper marketing would ask more money for the newer ship. But having cruised for more than 40 years, I know that the Fantasy class ships are HUGE too. New ships are even larger, but a Fantasy class is 3 or more TIMES larger than ships used to be. So its big and bigger, small is not part of the equation.

I'm not saying I'd prefer the older ships, the new ones blow me away just like they're supposed to. But their main draw to me is cruise length, not bells & whistles.

Dan

My first cruise was on the Holiday. I knew it was Carnival's smallest ship but it seemed big enough to me. I never felt bored.

I'll be on the Fantasy on Nov. 1. I'm sure I'll be in "awe" - especially with the new refurbishment. The pics I've seen on here look great.

Perhaps the definition of "new" and "old" should have been given. Even the Holiday is not really "old" as it relates to ages of ships.

My concern about the "big" ships is how long the lines might be during the meal rush hours on Lido. That can probably be mitigated by having breakfast/lunch early or late. I would have found out on Conquest but my trip got tanked by Ike.

Kind of like Goldilocks, I guess, I find the Spirit-Classed ships not too big and not too small, JUST RIGHT. But, alas, we're losing our lovely PRIDE next year :( . . . oh well, guess I'll just have to get used to the SPLENDOR . . . :D

Kind of like Goldilocks, I guess, I find the Spirit-Classed ships not too big and not too small, JUST RIGHT. But, alas, we're losing our lovely PRIDE next year :( . . . oh well, guess I'll just have to get used to the SPLENDOR . . . :D

I can't wait until the Splendor hits the LBC. Just got off the Paradise a couple weeks ago and it's now my favorite Fantasy Class ship..

But a 3-day cruise was just too quick... :)

Just wondering if the new ships create a better cruising experience than the older members of the fleet. I'm beginning my planning for next year and I'd like to hear from folks who have sailed on the latest and greatest. I imagine the newest ships are designed with the knowledge picked up from the existing fleet. But what about the crew? Do they get the best and brightest, or it it pretty much the same? Just got off the Triumph (before it went into drydock) and it was probably ready for a good refurbishing. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Your thoughts???

Jim

I have cruised both small and large new and old.

I prefer the older smaller ships. The crew is more personable. They know you after the first day or two. The service always seemed to me better. You also see more of the same passangers all the time so you make friends.

That being said the newer larger ships have more things to do. The one thing I like on the newer ships is the specialty (pay for ) restaurants.

But I still have a weak spot for a 45 to 50,000 ton ship.....;)

In the spirit of my very humble and minimal cruising experience-I LOVED all three!:D And I'm sure I'll love the Destiny in 2 weeks!:D

Liberty and Valor were indeed bigger and prettier, but I loved the Sensation, too. It's lobby was very pretty, but some other areas were a bit dated. She has since undergone a BIG overhaul! I have to say the dining room food on the Sensation seemed better. Don't know if it was because they didn't have to make it so much of it, being a smaller ship, a better chef, or if Carnival has since cut back on quality.

Archived