New ship versus older ships

toledo_cruiser

Just wondering if the new ships create a better cruising experience than the older members of the fleet. I'm beginning my planning for next year and I'd like to hear from folks who have sailed on the latest and greatest. I imagine the newest ships are designed with the knowledge picked up from the existing fleet. But what about the crew? Do they get the best and brightest, or it it pretty much the same? Just got off the Triumph (before it went into drydock) and it was probably ready for a good refurbishing. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Your thoughts???

Jim

I have sailed on both older and newer ships. The newer bigger ships are great but for me personally I prefer the older/smaller ships.

As far as the crew goes all have been great with the exception of the crew on the Pride of America.

IMHO best crew I have ever sailed with is on the Holiday-Carnival smallest and oldest ship.

I think its not quite as good on older ships, but they are also much less a day than the newer ships, even if you are comparing a 4/5 day to a 7 day, the 7 day can often be double, so it comes out to more a day. Clearly supply and demand drive prices, so folks are willing to pay more a day to get on a newer ship.

Nothing wrong with older ships. The "new" ships have nothing ship wise that the old one do not have. They just have a lot of unnecessary non-ship junk to keep people entertained. To me being on a ship on the ocean is all the entertainment we need.

Only problem with older ships is short cruises. We like AT LEAST 7 days, so the old ships are out of our picture. If they did longer cruises, we use them.

Dan

You're definitely going to get mixed responses here. For many people, bigger is definitely not better, and all the newer ships are definitely bigger! I had this same debate going on recently trying to decide between the older Fascination and a couple of different newer, bigger ships. In the end, I decided on the Fascination based on great reviews I've read here.

Plus, don't forget that many of Carnival's older ships have just undergone or are in the midst of undergoing refurbishment.

We have sailed different ships from the Holiday to the Conquest and many larger ships of other lines. I enjoyed them all and am glad I got to see all the fancy attributes of the larger ships, but we enjoy the smaller ones like the Holiday. We have sailed it 6 times and their crew is always the best. Also, does anyone remember the old Commodore Enchanted Isle out of New Orleans? We must have sailed her 15- 20 times . It was older and smaller than the Holiday and was our all time favorite.

My favorite ship has been Celebration. The crew was FANTASTIC! I prefer the smaller ships, just seem more intimate. I also enjoy fantasy class----Elation, Inspiration. Glory was nice but just seemed too big, with too many people, which meant too many lines to wait in. But, having said that, I sure wouldn't turn down any cruise, whatever the ship size!!

I'm looking forward to sailing on Fascination next month.

I still love the Fantasy class. Having been on them so many times maybe it's just a comfort thing. I like the newer classes as well, but would never pass up an opportunity to jump on a Fantasy class. We just got back from the Liberty and are heading out in 2 weeks on the Holiday again. Biggest back to smallest!

If new ships mean bigger is better then I will go with the older ships. You don't need all the bells and whistles. Some food, a bed for the night and a place on deck so I can get some sun.

I second that:D

I am surprised by the responses since my theory is "Always sail the newest and the biggest ships". We have sailed 11 cruises (all with Carnival), from the the Tropicale to Miracle and am currently booked on the Freedom for March.

New ships are cleaner. We sailed the Tropicale when Carnival announced it had been soldl and though the crew did all it could, we had problems. The grout in the shower was dirty. The engine broke down and we missed a port. With that design, many of the pipes were exposed at the ceiling where with the new ships, you see no piping. There were also more strange smells that you would not find on a newer ship. Rugs are newer and cleaner.

With new ships, you have better designs. You have food stations where that concept is not used on the old ships. Cabins are certainly nicer and cheerier. The ships stores are bigger and more mall like. The stage is also much bigger and better equipped.

My suggestion is take a cruise on a new ship about a year after they begin cruising. That way, most operating bugs (not the other kind) are cleared out and you will have the best cruising.

We just returned from the Sensation 2 days ago and I am now definitely of the opinion NEWER is better. The new ships, even with more passengers, are better designed and have better flow. The lines for the Lido outdoor grill and indoor restaurant were the longest we have ever dealt with.

Additionally, the Sensation is in great need of its upcoming refurb. There is no way a company should let an asset like this deteriorate as the Sensation has. I am not talking about clean. The ship is clean. But as an example, the furniture in our cabin would not be acceptable in any roadside motel - unless it has rates by the hour. I had a good time on my cruise, but these things matter to me.

The cruise on a newer ship is a different experience than on a 20 year old ship. The condition of the Sensation left me doubting if I will ever take a short cruise again if it means a ship in that state. If I only have a few days to go somewhere I will have to think long and hard about a 3 or 4 day cruise.

I like the older Fantasy class ships as well. Not because they are drastically better in any way, but they are where you find the less than a week cruises. Its much easier for us to do multiple short cruises than it is to take fewer long ones, so the Fantasy class ships are it. Also, my first Carnival cruise was on Sensation, so they have a special place in my heart. I will be sad when they start retiring them in a few years.

That being said, I am looking forward to going on the Spirit next year, I hear so many good things about that class. The space to pax. ratio is the highest of all Carnival ships which is a big plus.

As someone who has cruised old, new, big and small a cruise is what you make it. And like Darth sometime a shortie is all I can get away for. I do not expect everything to be perfect even on a new ship.

Each ship has unique attributes...

But I sort of wish supper clubs could be added to the Fantasy Class ships...

Tom in Long Beach ( I work on that 72 year old ship that does not move)

We don't need the newest but after our last cruise definately a newer one. Just returned from the Fascination and while we had a great time, I found the Fascination to be by far to date my least liked Carnival ship although the crew and Captain were great !

We don't need the newest but after our last cruise definately a newer one. Just returned from the Fascination and while we had a great time, I found the Fascination to be by far to date my least liked Carnival ship although the crew and Captain were great !

I think that's where I'm headed. My experience was the same as yours. I just got off the Triumph, and for the most part, the ship was clean. It is not reasonable to expect a 10-11 year old ship to be pristine, so some wear after all those years of exposure to salt air is inevitable. I wish I could have sailed the Triumph after the September renovation. I suspect the few nits I had would have been resolved. One of the members of my sailing party had the same observation and resolved to only sail on the newer ships. A few cruises and suddenly we're experts!:D

Still, entertainment aboard the Triumph was very good from the comedian to the the Triumph dancers.

Jim

Nothing wrong with older ships. The "new" ships have nothing ship wise that the old one do not have. Dan

Old ships look dated and worn. Not just a issue if the newer ships have bells and whistles or the food and service is the same, they look their age in many cases. The cabins are smaller. Fantasy ships OVs are 185 s.f. and 220 s.f. on Conquest class. I enjoyed my 220 s.f. cabin, even if you call it a bell and whistle.

That being said Ecstasy is a real bargain compared to Conquest so of course because of the lower price per day it will always be filled.

I dont think anyone is saying bigger is better, they are saying older ships look their age, have smaller cabins and yes a few less amenities like the pay restaurant that some enjoy. The suites on newer ships are more private, etc. I also enjoyed the sushi bar on Conquest which Ecstasy lacks.

Raise the per day price of the older ships so they were just as expensive per day as a newer ship and Ill bet many of the supporters would dissapear. I think its all about $$$$.

I did not care for the Holiday after sailing on newer and bigger ships. Some love it because it is smaller. Really liked the Liberty and Glory. Loved the Pride. It just seemed perfect - newer and not too small or too large.

Archived