Ipods in the Cabin

kelligirl

We bought a cheap pair of ipod mini speakers that worked out great, I think we paid $10 at Target for them. They come in a little travel tote and took up no room at all. I didn't see any hookups on the TV on the Glory but I really wasn't looking either :) After listening to the same songs played over and over again I needed my ipod.

And it produces a concert where ever it is!!!
Two cruises ago, we brought it out on the balcony & cranked up the music. Had a bit of a sing along with the cabins around us while waiting to leave San Juan (there was an emergency & had to go back). We normally kep the volume low, but we were all out there & it was a party atmosphere.

DW has about 1600 songs on her ipod and she has a special list for cruise music. She has a docking station that can plug in or run on batteries. We take it to the beach, camping where ever. We also plan on using it on the balcony to start a party with our balcony mates. It can play very loud and clear if we want it to ! Party time:cool:

I saw nothing like that on the TV's in the cabins--even the suites...

I suggest ditching the Ipod and getting a Creative Zen Stone Plus with Speakers instead. It is cheap (I paid $60) and it has a built in speaker so you do not need to bring a portable speaker system for the silly ipod...Sorry, me not a fan of Ipods for their obvious faults I discovered while researching which MP3 player to buy. Ipods had too many flaws, problems, lawsuites, and proprietary software sucks!!!!!

MY Zen Stone has close to 300 songs on it....more than a 2 GB Ipod can hope, and I have room for at least 200 more.....My 8GB Zen Microphoto has 875 songs and room for another 700+ it has dropped twice on 8" solid concrete floor and works like a charm still--try that with an Ipod. It also has a replaceable battery--no loss of HD data when battery is replaced, alas, with an Ipod you lose the HD data when the battery is replaced)....

This is MY opinion, do whatever floats your boat!!!!

I suggest ditching the Ipod and getting a Creative Zen Stone Plus with Speakers instead. It is cheap (I paid $60) and it has a built in speaker so you do not need to bring a portable speaker system for the silly ipod...Sorry, me not a fan of Ipods for their obvious faults I discovered while researching which MP3 player to buy. Ipods had too many flaws, problems, lawsuites, and proprietary software sucks!!!!!

MY Zen Stone has close to 300 songs on it....more than a 2 GB Ipod can hope, and I have room for at least 200 more.....My 8GB Zen Microphoto has 875 songs and room for another 700+ it has dropped twice on 8" solid concrete floor and works like a charm still--try that with an Ipod. It also has a replaceable battery--no loss of HD data when battery is replaced, alas, with an Ipod you lose the HD data when the battery is replaced)....

We have 4200 songs on our IPOD, and have never had any problems: We bring our docking/speaker system (has its own back-pack). We love the IPOD, but you do need to make sure your bring an electrical strip; to plug in the cell phones, lap top, camera battery charger, CPAP, etc.

A 2 GB iPod will hold up to 500 songs, the same as what you've just said yours will hold. I don't know what you've read & can only speak from personal experience. DH's iPod is 5+ years old & mine is 4. Neither of us have had any problems with them. DH uses his almost daily, on his walk to & from work & at his desk. Mine gets most of it's use in the Bose dock & on the mower.

I'm not an iPod person either...or anything Apple for that matter. I have a Sony mp3 player that I LOVE. :)

To answer the OP, I have a Jensen set of speakers I travel with. They were like $30 at Target. Pretty good sound for the price and they're compatible with ANY type of player.

I'm not an iPod person either...or anything Apple for that matter. I have a Sony mp3 player that I LOVE. :)

To answer the OP, I have a Jensen set of speakers I travel with. They were like $30 at Target. Pretty good sound for the price and they're compatible with ANY type of player.

What kind of Jensen speakers do you have? Do they run on a battery or does an ipod or mp3 player dock to it?

What kind of Jensen speakers do you have? Do they run on a battery or does an ipod or mp3 player dock to it?

These are the ones I have.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-1661282-2380665?ASIN=B000OR51I0&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000OR51I0|Jensen_Portable_Speakers_for_MP3_Players&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000OR51I0&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

They are battery operated, but you can plug a DC (5V) plug into them. I had a spare one in the house I use for longer periods of use. The speakers don't come with the DC plug. No dock. There is a plug on the speaker itself you plug into the headset jack on the mp3 player.

I'm not sure why you think a 2G ipod will hold less than your 2G Mp3 player. My 8G ipod nano video has 700 songs on it and has almost 5G left, even with pictures on it. The OP didn't ask which Mp3 player to buy after all...

Does anyone know if you can hook up an IPod or Ipod Shuffle into the tv on the Carnival Freedom (or any of the Carnival ships) to come through the tv as audio? I need my music!!!

My mom got me a small fold up travel speaker set for Christmas last year. I'm not sure what brand it is, but any travel speakers should work just fine for your purpose. I completely understand needing your music! I just need to remember to bring extra batteries!

I just got off the Legend, and the suites with the VCR's have external hookups. TV's may but I haven't managed to crank it around.

Obviously, you haven't caught on that there is a reason Creative has yet to hit the million units sold mark on any of their lines. Apple has only hit 15 million on their iTouch to date. ;)

The other thing: Creative isn't even using a Creative decoder on their own product.... Does that say something to you? :D

Anyhow, built-in speakers won't help you out much if you want to get sound out at an appreciable volume... well, maybe but you'll have a lot of distortion. Pick your poison.

MY Zen Stone has close to 300 songs on it....more than a 2 GB Ipod can hope, and I have room for at least 200 more.....My 8GB Zen Microphoto has 875 songs and room for another 700+ it has dropped twice on 8" solid concrete floor and works like a charm still--try that with an ipod.
Obviously you don't understand much about bitrate, right?

I have a 512 iPod Shuffle (ie 4 times less than a 2gb ipod) and I can stuff in over 1000 songs if I use the right bitrate. Anyhow, iTunes uses Lossless AAC for ripped songs, and if you have mp3's you're just saving space. 2Gb is 2Gb is 2Gb, a bit is a bit, and that's no... foolin'. iPod's Firmware is a little bit bigger than Zen's, but then again, you're getting the ability to search, create playlists, view art and movies... and output to video on most newer models made in the last 2 years.

Last time I messed with a Zen it didn't support Variable Bit Rate. Since VBR has been the standard for the best MP3 encoding utilities since about 1999, that's not acceptable. I've seen Zen's die when they got dropped on the floor as well... it's a problem with Hard-drive based players: it's why most use spin-down after they buffer a bunch of music (which btw: Zen just upgraded to 32mb of buffer space, iPods have had that since the 4th Generation, 4 years ago).

It also has a replaceable battery--no loss of HD data when battery is replaced, alas, with an Ipod you lose the HD data when the battery is replaced)....
Not true in the least, but what would I know? I only service them. Given that Zen's sometimes have a replaceable battery (ie, the ones that don't have the same kind of Lithium Polymer ones in iPods, for SHAME!!! :D ), you're getting more hours out of most Li-po batteries than you do out of alkalines.

BTW: you can replace any iPod's battery, yes... any iPod's battery. If you don't believe me, go to ebay, look up iPod battery. There's one listed for every model. You need a set of non-marring pry-tools and a bit of know how... or Google. :D

You know what they say about opinions, right?

Anyhow, OP: I'd shell-out for a decent set of external travel speakers. If you get one that has an iPod dock on it, you'll be able to charge the pod. Happy cruisin'!

Archived