Service has gone WAY DOWNHILL...

agrip76

I sailed on the Valor 9 months ago with 16 family members, and I must say, we were all treated like kings and queens. The service was impeccable, and we would sail on the Valor in a heartbeat.

As far as the nurse blocking your pass, well, it sucks but she was only doing her job. While you may have believed you were ill from eating the lobster, you could easily have contracted a virus and been contagious. Without a stool sample, you will never know for sure!

So, some of you think that if a close time is 11pm, then it's perfectly acceptable for Carnival to deny you at 10:45pm, because of laziness? People are DEFENDING this?!?! That's gotta be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in defense of Carnival on this board. That and basically calling the OP unreasonable for wanting Carnival to do what they're supposed to. We're supposed to bend over backwards and be understanding of Carnival, but if someone were to come on here wanting the same kind of reciprical consideration from Carnival, they'd get a speech about taking responsibility.

Is there anything else that Carnival is supposed to do, but I shouldn't expect so that I don't inconvenience Carnival? :rolleyes: That is just absolutely ludicrous. I worked in a restuarant for quite awhile, and yeah, it would be a PAIN IN THE REAR when people showed up 5 minutes before we closed, but guess what, you did it anyway...

Still trying to figure out how a lampshade can make someone feel sick.

Anyone want to enlighten me?

I'm sure it didn't make the poster sick, but didn't make the poster feel comfortable to be near. At least that is how I've felt around some lampshades near me in hotels and on cruises. Those things aren't cleaned very often.

On our last cruise, I cleaned the lamp and nightstand because a guest staying in the cabin before us had gotten green food all over the lamp and nightstand. The lampshade appeared dirty, had some red stuff on the inside of it, and there was a hole in the side of it :eek: . How and why would someone do that :confused: .

So, some of you think that if a close time is 11pm, then it's perfectly acceptable for Carnival to deny you at 10:45pm, because of laziness? People are DEFENDING this?!?! That's gotta be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in defense of Carnival on this board. That and basically calling the OP unreasonable for wanting Carnival to do what they're supposed to. We're supposed to bend over backwards and be understanding of Carnival, but if someone were to come on here wanting the same kind of reciprical consideration from Carnival, they'd get a speech about taking responsibility.

Is there anything else that Carnival is supposed to do, but I shouldn't expect so that I don't inconvenience Carnival? :rolleyes: That is just absolutely ludicrous. I worked in a restuarant for quite awhile, and yeah, it would be a PAIN IN THE REAR when people showed up 5 minutes before we closed, but guess what, you did it anyway...

I agree.. Its freaking popcorn.. not a five course meal.. .and they also get tipped for popping the corn :rolleyes: OK maybe the op should have disregarded it but it was a quarter to 11 not 11

and its' freaking popcorn!!!!!!

did I mention that?

She also noted that such "considerate" people should note that "extras" could be in their food. She said that she has witnessed this more than once. Just food for thought. No pun intended.

I have worked in the food industry from a carhop to a server to now a bartender for 10 years and while I do agree that it is annoying for someone to order food fifteen minutes before close, I have NEVER in my life seen someone put "extras" in someone's meal. Some "late night stragglers" are simply ignorant, and don't realize that what they are doing is effecting what time several people get to go home. But, alas, it is the service industry. You don't have a set time of going home. I certainly hope you don't condone the "extras" ! lol that's gross.

PS. agrip seems to complain a lot from what I've noticed in the port forums.

I have worked in the food industry from a carhop to a server to now a bartender for 10 years and while I do agree that it is annoying for someone to order food fifteen minutes before close, I have NEVER in my life seen someone put "extras" in someone's meal. Some "late night stragglers" are simply ignorant, and don't realize that what they are doing is effecting what time several people get to go home. But, alas, it is the service industry. You don't have a set time of going home. I certainly hope you don't condone the "extras" ! lol that's gross.

PS. agrip seems to complain a lot from what I've noticed in the port forums.

Hey, like I said, I've never been a server, I just report what my daughter said. She added that the "extras" have come from the cooks, not the servers that she has ever known. Evidently, and again, this is just reporting from someone who has worked in the industry 3 years, it really pisses the cooks off to have the kitchen cleaned and have someone show up 15 minutes to close.

Agrip, do you remember this post

"I think you are totally wrong. I have been on princess 5 times (not by choice) and carnival 10. There is no way that Princess is better. Unless of course you like to complain. Or have no fun."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13885011#post13885011

Now that's funny!!

I sure do, and that was before this cruise. I had such great experiences on CArnival that I thought nothing could top it. But things have changed. I have talked to other people saying the same thing. I am not saying it's awful or that no one should go on Carnival. All I am saying is that things are not like they used to be. I feel that many companies have let things go service wise. Some people are used to the "Old Carnival" and I think a lot of people are becoming disappointed when they sail with them now. I hope it was just one ship and one experience, but I have the right to state it here. :cool:

does anyone else agree with me? We were on Valor last week, my 10th Carnival Cruise and the service was awful. Nothing like it used to be.

First of all, I cannot believe someone would take the time to complain abot popcorn. Second, Princess is owned by CARNIVAL CORP. I cruised for the first time 18 years ago again last year and am leaving again in 4 weeks and the service has always been wonderful. As for being "tricked" by Carnival, if you were as sick as you say you were why would you want to get off the ship? And if it were really food poisoning, don't you think you wouldn't have been the only one with it? The ship would have been crawling with sick people. I am positive you weren't the only one that ate the lobster that night. Your experience is what you make of it, obviously you wanted it to be bad.

Yeppers... things have changed... INCLUDING LOWER CRUISE RATES which I am sure you have seen since you have sailed CCL sooooooo many times....

Something has to give and unfortunately it seems to be happeneing regarding food and service in general slipping... so maybe you need to go to a more higher end cruiseline that may meet YOUR expectations on a cruise experience, just like in the good ole' days, but I am willing to bet you are not willing to pay those higher fares when you see the difference and the FuN you are missing compared to all your past CCL cruises you seem to have loved !

I sure do, and that was before this cruise. I had such great experiences on CArnival that I thought nothing could top it. But things have changed. I have talked to other people saying the same thing. I am not saying it's awful or that no one should go on Carnival. All I am saying is that things are not like they used to be. I feel that many companies have let things go service wise. Some people are used to the "Old Carnival" and I think a lot of people are becoming disappointed when they sail with them now. I hope it was just one ship and one experience, but I have the right to state it here. :cool:

Yes you do and that is what these boards are supposed to be about. What pisses you off may not necessarily piss me off and so on and so forth..

I have cruised Celebrity, NCL and Carnival... Celebrity service is unbelievable.. as was Carnivals on our last cruise last May but in 2007 We were on the Victory and it was the worst cruise WE have experienced.. while others loved it..

If you cant come here to moan about your bad experiences on a cruise, instead of being a cheerleader, than this board serves no purpose. If everyone thought everything was grand 100% of the time there would be no need to shop around or read reviews..

You didnt feel service was up to par.. its your dime and you are entitled to feel that way.

I also dont agree with some of the comments that you get what you pay for yada yada yada.. Carnival is a brand that sells a product..It would not be wise to lessen the quality of the product because the price is good.. and btw.. I have paid more for my last two Carnival cruises and my upcoming one in May than I ever paid for a Celebrity cruise.

The money argument does not wash..

You are entitled to your view.. no matter if none or all of us agree with it.;)

The service we had on the Sensation this past April was the best we have had, and its always been very good! However, when we were on the Fantasy last November, our waiter wasnt top notch like the others who have spoiled us previously, the rest of the service was excellent.

So, I dont think service is getting bad, I think yours was an off week. Sorry that it didnt meet your expectations, thats a real bummer. But if Carnival was soo bad and continued to decline you wouldnt see all the repeat cruisers continuing to book cruises with them.

Whenever someone complains (and they have the right to), I always look beyond it. Was there something else that initiated not having a good vacation? In this case, there was. I believe it was raining a bit while in Grand Cayman. Then, as you mentioned in a previous post, Belize was cancelled due to a storm and Roatan was cancelled due to the unrest situations. Triple Whammy. Maybe this initiated the whole negativity on your experience? As a customer, you have the right to complain. But we have the right to reply. Hope you can enjoy your next cruise more than this one and I hope this incident will not stop you from cruising again. Please do not take this personal, just voicing my opinion on here.

This happened to us on the Valor also, in 2006. The drink waiter was no where to be found ever. You would think Carnival would want to make some $$$$ selling drinks. We even spoke with the Maitre D and it was never resolved. No drinks had to stop at the bar before dinner and bring the drink.

When we went on the Triumph Maitre D came by 1st night asked us if we needed any thing. My husband explained what happened on the Valor and

said drinks every night and we will be happy. The Triumph Maitre d had it going. No missed drinks and he even called us half way through the cruise to check on us. I agree it is the ship. Valor did need service improvement.

I wonder if it's not service overall that's lacking, just certain people in particular. I can tell you about the outstanding service I had on each of my last couple of cruises, but I also wasn't thrilled with other people.

It wasn't enough for me to say the service has gone WAY DOWNHILL but I did come away from each cruise a little disappointed in some individuals.

I still cruise, I still love Carnival, and I still had a great time.

My dining room staff have always been spectacular, the cabin stewards good, but not outstanding.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe, that's hard to say. I like to think I'm pretty easy to please. I guess one of the problems is the boards - I hear such amazing stories about the crew going above and beyond and when every single crew member I meet doesn't do that then I suppose I could say service is lacking. It isn't, though. I'm perfectly happy and frankly, I'd make my own bed each day and still be happy. I just want someone to make my towel animals. :D ;)

come go with me this Saturday! ..j

The whole country is like this. Nothing unusual. Just enjoy life and accept the trash thrown at you now and then. ;)

Not really. Disney has excellent service. I haven't cruised with them and probably won't as I don't have children. But in the parks and resorts we've had excellent service. I've seen people drop a tray from a buffet and someone comes over and tells them they'll replace it. I've seen kids drop an ice cream cone and a CastMember will see it and get them another one.

I've arrived at a breakfast bar at 10:55 (after waiting in line for 15 mins) and they where out of eggs and they got some more to make just for me, One last person in line; I didn't have to ask, they just did it.

I've had my SO brush his dress pants against a weight machine while checking out the facilities. I inquired to front desk, about how fast they could clean. I explained what happened..I did NOT ask for anything other how much time it would take. They came up in 10 mins and pants arrived at 5:00 no charge. I didn't ask for that, they just did it.

Not really. Disney has excellent service. I haven't cruised with them and probably won't as I don't have children. But in the parks and resorts we've had excellent service. I've seen people drop a tray from a buffet and someone comes over and tells them they'll replace it. I've seen kids drop an ice cream cone and a CastMember will see it and get them another one.

I've arrived at a breakfast bar at 10:55 (after waiting in line for 15 mins) and they where out of eggs and they got some more to make just for me, One last person in line; I didn't have to ask, they just did it.

I've had my SO brush his dress pants against a weight machine while checking out the facilities. I inquired to front desk, about how fast they could clean. I explained what happened..I did NOT ask for anything other how much time it would take. They came up in 10 mins and pants arrived at 5:00 no charge. I didn't ask for that, they just did it.

I've read and heard quite a few people say that what Disney does in their parks, they have not been able to reproduce in their ships,,,who knows? You might try them, though,,,,I'd read some reviews before I did that, however, it's probably like anything else,,,some will love them, and some will hate them,,,,,,,Holly

I concur. But again, this is the level of service one expects on Crystal, Regent, Silversea, etc. One does not expect Ruths Chris service at McDonalds is all I'm saying. If you pay Carnival's prices you get less service (though still wonderful in my opinion) than you do on Crystal, et al. This is sorta common sense stuff. I mean, if you could get Crystal service for $500pp how long would Crystal stay in business at $2000pp?? This is not rocket science.

Well I'll be honest...It really isnt the cruiseline/ship it's just what happens while your there! Sometime you get unlucky(As most are excellent) and had a bad server or bad cruise! But thanks for the info, as I will now pack Imodium, and not ask for help from the ships MD/RN! It could be too many DOD, or bad buffet, or food poisning, but if they make you stay on the ship that ruins your vacation:mad: I 'm sure I'll get flammed for this, but I know we all want to have our vacation. I am sorry this was a "crappy" cruise, but do know it's not CCL, it could have been PCL or RCCL, and it all could have happened. Hope next time is better!

Better Seas:)

Yes you do and that is what these boards are supposed to be about. What pisses you off may not necessarily piss me off and so on and so forth..

I have cruised Celebrity, NCL and Carnival... Celebrity service is unbelievable.. as was Carnivals on our last cruise last May but in 2007 We were on the Victory and it was the worst cruise WE have experienced.. while others loved it..

If you cant come here to moan about your bad experiences on a cruise, instead of being a cheerleader, than this board serves no purpose. If everyone thought everything was grand 100% of the time there would be no need to shop around or read reviews..

You didnt feel service was up to par.. its your dime and you are entitled to feel that way.

I also dont agree with some of the comments that you get what you pay for yada yada yada.. Carnival is a brand that sells a product..It would not be wise to lessen the quality of the product because the price is good.. and btw.. I have paid more for my last two Carnival cruises and my upcoming one in May than I ever paid for a Celebrity cruise.

The money argument does not wash..

You are entitled to your view.. no matter if none or all of us agree with it.;)

Someone needs to make this a permanent "sticky" on this forum!

4.gif4.gif4.gif

Someone needs to make this a permanent "sticky" on this forum!

4.gif4.gif4.gif

Thanks Terri.. Now you should go read the other Very Disappointed thread...

Recently it seems that many(? some) are making some of the same complaints.. but it can not be St Carnivals fault.. must be the cruiser...

I dont get it!:)

Archived