Service has gone WAY DOWNHILL...

agrip76

My memories of my first cruises were much greater than my most recent cruises. But it was all new and exciting in the beginning. Cruising is still an excellent value, but little things like popcorn can skew how one feels overall about a cruise. Don't skimp on the Popcorn Carnival!

If they serve until 11, they serve until 11, not 10:45. You don't turn a customer away early, you serve until the closing time. It doesn't say 11ish, it says 11. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows this. He should have made more popcorn.

Which explains why I am a nurse/counselor. This doesn't make sense to me but then again, it doesn't have to.

Do you know how much food is wasted on the cruise. On Princess they would have made popcorn if I wanted one piece. That is how it should be. I am a customer and they serve it until 11pm. I was there at 10:45.

I was up sick for 24 hours throwing up and other things. I think I know if food made me sick. I went there after a day and wanted anything to make me feel better and she blocked my pass because she said it was the law and that anyone who comes down to get medicine for that is blocked. But they don't sell it in the store. and they don't tell you that you are blocked until after you fill out an information sheet about what you ate. They trick you.

They blocked you because of noro. You would want others with those symptoms to be "blocked" too. Without blood tests it is impossible to know if it is food poisioning or noro. When you are quaranteed Carnival will let you rent movies for free, soda is free and they have you special bag your room service trays.

I didn't know you could GET popcorn on a Carnival Cruise ship, and I've just booked my 8th cruise for April!

Where do you get it? Is it only available on certain ships?

Sol y mar

(and on topic, I have noticed that staff seems stretched thin as compared to when I began cruising - waiters have more tables to cover, etc)

I am sure if you think you got bad service you did. It is all a matter of perspective and how you view things.

When I was on the Liberty I found that some of the bartenders were not the fastest in the world, but I just thought it was because they were busy, not that it was bad service. In the dining room it did seem to take awhile to get our drinks, but again I just figured they were busy. If the bartenders and wait staff were just standing around doing nothing rather than getting what I wanted I might have viewed it a little differently. Some people on our cruise might have found the craps dealers inexperienced and obnoxious, I found them hysterial and very entertaining. Sometimes, service is in the eye of the beholder.

When I am on a vacation I tend to look through the world with rose colored glasses. I do not want to pick apart everything little thing because it takes away from my enjoyment. Unless something is glaringly awful everything is fine with me.

When we asked for a drink it was like we were bothering the bartenders. The drink guy at dinner NEVER asked us if we wanted drinks. IT took 20 minutes to get coffee after dinner. I asked for popcorn on the LIDO deck at 10:45 they stop at 11 and he said he would not make more because it would be wasted. The dealers were jerks and I got food poisoning from the Lobster. I went to the nurse to get tums cuz they don't sell anything in the store and she blocked my pass from leaving the ship....from something that is THEIR FAULT!

Other than that it is hard to explain. On Princess and RC they bend over backwards for you..on here they just do what they have to.

It's good to know that you count every minute until you got your precious coffee. I guess your mouth would have gone dry if you waited another minute.

I'm not a big popcorn eater and have never noticed that there is popcorn on the ship. I've worked in the fast food industry and if a customer like you came in 15 minutes to closing we would not restart the ice cream machine for one idiot, I mean customer, so why should Carnival make one bag of popcorn for you. I guess you went starving for the rest of the night. Get a grip and a life. Please.:cool:

When we asked for a drink it was like we were bothering the bartenders. The drink guy at dinner NEVER asked us if we wanted drinks. IT took 20 minutes to get coffee after dinner. I asked for popcorn on the LIDO deck at 10:45 they stop at 11 and he said he would not make more because it would be wasted. The dealers were jerks and I got food poisoning from the Lobster. I went to the nurse to get tums cuz they don't sell anything in the store and she blocked my pass from leaving the ship....from something that is THEIR FAULT!

Other than that it is hard to explain. On Princess and RC they bend over backwards for you..on here they just do what they have to.

If you truly had food poisoning you would not have cared about your pass. You would have been to sick to go any where and you would not have dared get to far from the bathroom because you would have had sever bowel problems. I had it once and will not forget it. It lasted about five days before my stomach settled down enough to keep any thing in it. Just feel lucky it was probably an upset stomach from something else and the lobster happen to be the last thing you ate. The onset of food poisoning when I got it was about 45 minutes and I was very sick from the start.

I agree that cruising is subjective - I've had some great cruises, and I've had some very mediocre cruises. I've gotten back on the boards after getting home, and have read completely difference review from other CCer's from what I experienced myself.

It's a big cliché, but it's true - a cruise is what you make of it! I sometimes bring a small selection of snacks (Smartfood Popcorn!), but quickly figure out that I never eat it, or end up throwing out half of it because I'm stuffed half the time.

It would be upsetting to be told that you couldn't have something when they are obviously open til 11pm (or else what's the point of being open til 11pm?), but I probably would have gotten another foo foo drink instead. :)

As for the nurse blocking your exit, she probably did it as a prevention - cruises are often plagued by Norwalk, and she probably didn't want it spread to other people in port. I'm not sure how long Norwalk lasts, so it truly could have been food poisoning, but I'm sure it's not worth her job to overlook the possibility.

I am sure if you think you got bad service you did. It is all a matter of perspective and how you view things.

When I was on the Liberty I found that some of the bartenders were not the fastest in the world' date=' but I just thought it was because they were busy, not that it was bad service. In the dining room it did seem to take awhile to get our drinks, but again I just figured they were busy. If the bartenders and wait staff were just standing around doing nothing rather than getting what I wanted I might have viewed it a little differently. Some people on our cruise might have found the craps dealers inexperienced and obnoxious, I found them hysterial and very entertaining. Sometimes, service is in the eye of the beholder.

When I am on a vacation I tend to look through the world with rose colored glasses. I do not want to pick apart everything little thing because it takes away from my enjoyment. Unless something is glaringly awful everything is fine with me.[/quote']

I'd take credit for this awesome post, but your name is on it!! Bravo!!!

In case you haven't noticed the WHOLE WORLD has gone to hell in a handbasket, not just the personal service on a cruise ship.

Besides, even on the worst of cruising days it still beats sitting at my desk like I'm doing right now or a sharp stick in the eye.

By the way, I hate popcorn

I can't wait to cruise again also. It is the best way to travel. It just won't be Carnival. The lampshades in our room were so filthy that it made me feel sick. The previous poster is right. In the dining room before they would just remember what you liked and do those things, now they ask and it takes 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee.

Still trying to figure out how a lampshade can make someone feel sick.

Anyone want to enlighten me?

Guess I need a large popcorn, we are over 20 cruises and never had a problem with Carnival , but we don't look for problems sometimes something may take longer no big deal. My personnel opinion some people want the world to stop. Sit back relax your on a cruise you will be much happier.:D

I wonder if it's not service overall that's lacking, just certain people in particular. I can tell you about the outstanding service I had on each of my last couple of cruises, but I also wasn't thrilled with other people.

It wasn't enough for me to say the service has gone WAY DOWNHILL but I did come away from each cruise a little disappointed in some individuals.

I still cruise, I still love Carnival, and I still had a great time.

My dining room staff have always been spectacular, the cabin stewards good, but not outstanding.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe, that's hard to say. I like to think I'm pretty easy to please. I guess one of the problems is the boards - I hear such amazing stories about the crew going above and beyond and when every single crew member I meet doesn't do that then I suppose I could say service is lacking. It isn't, though. I'm perfectly happy and frankly, I'd make my own bed each day and still be happy. I just want someone to make my towel animals. :D ;)

My husband has been on two crusies, Princess and Carnival. He said to me that he can't believe how much better service on Princess was. He said on Carnival he felt like he was bothering people to get service.

On the first post you said this was your 10th Carnival cruise. Now you are saying you have been on two cruises. Do you mean two cruise lines? How was the service on the other Carnival cruises, if there were other Carnival cruises? I am a restaurant manager and I find that Carnivals food service has been fabulous. Sometimes, those of us in the service industry can be a little picky and try to prove a point that we do a better job than the one serving us. There is a saying in our industry that perception is reality. So if you and your husband feel you received poor service then you did! I just hope you gave a little slack to those hard workers that were very busy as you would want others to give you a little slack when you are very busy. I can't believe you are getting this upset over popcorn either so it has to be much more than that and like I said earlier, if you had food poison Tums would not help. If you did get food poison you wouldn't want to leave the ship anyhow so you wouldn't even realize they blocked you. There is another saying, you can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time. I just hope this was the one time that no matter what they did, it just wasn't good enough. I hope you have better luck on Royal Caribbean or Princess. Please take this in the proper context. I am not saying you were wrong or trying to stick up for Carnival. I am just a little confused because of my own experiences.

I was on the Valor last week. We had excellent service as always. My room steward, was the best out of 19 cruises. Dinner staff excellant, but she was off for 2 days with the noro virus, I was a little worried. But it all worked out.

My motto is you get what you give, I am always polite and friendly, always receive the same if not better service back.

I love getting attacked for expecting outstanding service for my money.

Just part of the CC service that comes at no charge when you post here. Any complaints the attack dogs come out saying you should not complain, roll with the punches, just move on. I heard it all too. Take those comments with a grain of salt. Write to Carnival, they may give you a 45 day letter or some such. At worst they dont write back.

Archived