Service has gone WAY DOWNHILL...

agrip76

I was up sick for 24 hours throwing up and other things. I think I know if food made me sick..

You wouldn't know unless they did a stool test. You could just have likely had a 24 hour bug/virus. I had the same thing, although not on a cruise, and tests revealed no food poisoning after I thought a hotel food had made me sick. 5PM I was fine. 10PM I was in the E.R. with a fluid I.V. Would have sworn it was food poisoning.

Some of this might be lack of supervision from superiors.

I agree and I also agree with the earlier poster who said that by just rolling with the punches and not complaining you contribute to the general decline in service. If delivering poor service leads to exactly the same results for the crew and the line, why should they even try to give good service?

I sure try not to let the little things interfer with me enjoying my vacation. If I had been refused popcorn at 10:45 it wouldn't have 'ruined' my cruise, but it probably would have been mentioned on my comment card at the end of the cruise, and also the poor assistant room steward with a note that the head steward went out of her way to rectify the problem.

Supervisors can't be everywhere all the time and I feel it is a responsibility to future customers and to the business itself, to commend people who give very good service and to point out where service fell down.

Have been on numerous Carnival Cruises and a couple Princess. Have always had good service, sometimes exceptional, sometimes not. As in any business, there will be employees not doing their job and those who excel. Cruise lines need to know or they can not make changes. After every cruise, I write a letter giving feedback on things that were outstanding or on any negative experiences we had. That seems to make more sense than just complaining to people who are not in control of it.

The service on our Carnival cruise this summer was quite good, with one or two exceptions. However, that doesn't mean that the OP doesn't have valid concerns or that his opinions should be thrown out. He (she?) may truly have experienced bad service, and it may indeed be different from prior cruises...enough already. You can be an incredible Carnival fan and still sometimes have negative experiences.

I was on Valor last Nov, had wonderful dining room service, room steward. In fact, due to breaking my ankle, my room steward moved my bed around so that I could slide from the bed onto the sofa then to the chair to get to the bathroom - all without using the crutches. My dining room servers made sure I had enough of the lemon tea bags so when I ordered room service later (instead of going to the Lido decK) that I would have the tea I like.

Some people just preceive things different.

I have been on 2 Carnival cruises, both on the Conquest, and I can honestly say that the service on that ship far exceeded the quality of service I have ever received in any restaurant, retail store or phone support. Overall quality of customer service in this country has gone down hill in the last 20 years. And based on my experience, Carnival is on the upper end of what customer service should be.

I am really hoping to get the same waiter on my Feb 8 2009 cruise that I had on my Sept 20, 2008 cruise. I did not go to dinner Sunday and Monday. Showed up on Tuesday first time. Had my coke sitting there waiting on me Wednesday and each night after.

I have been on 2 Carnival cruises, both on the Conquest, and I can honestly say that the service on that ship far exceeded the quality of service I have ever received in any restaurant, retail store or phone support. Overall quality of customer service in this country has gone down hill in the last 20 years. And based on my experience, Carnival is on the upper end of what customer service should be.

I am really hoping to get the same waiter on my Feb 8 2009 cruise that I had on my Sept 20, 2008 cruise. I did not go to dinner Sunday and Monday. Showed up on Tuesday first time. Had my coke sitting there waiting on me Wednesday and each night after.

I have been on 10 CCL cruises and I will say that, overall, I would give then a 99% satisfaction rating. Sure thaere have been some employees who where rude or didn't care. I will I good havebeen glad to have gotten that good of grade in school!! I don't care where you go, a restaurant, hotel, theater, grocery store, airline, etc. you are going to run into somone who is either a bad employee or is bad at customer service. You can't say a restaurant chain, airline, or grocery chain is bad because of one or two employees. A cruise is the best vaction, espcecially for the price. Just ENJOY! If you have a problem take it up with the purser or supervisor in a nice way.

Important varies from one person to the next. It's generally the little things that make or break an experience. Shouldn't flame folks for their concerns. I just got back from my first Carnival cruise on the Glory. Much different experience than on Celebrity. I chose this cruise because of the ports and the child camp for my nephew. We had a good time, in spite of endless rain. The little things for me were, and mind you, these didn't ruin my vacation, but as Carnival has been doing cruises for some time, and these things should be old hat by now. It's usually the little things that keep you coming back, or play in the back of your mind when you consider your next vacation.

Cold syrup and lukewarm food on the buffet. Putting cold syrup on tepid french toast and pancakes, not good. Running out of the main dish, which results in the line stopping and waiting for five minutes while the food is cooked and finally just taking down the sign, um, not good. Chocolate buffet, really good idea. Setting up the giant chocolate fountain so only one person could get at it at a time, not good planning. No orange juice after 12pm, unless you get it from room service, even if you ask, sorry, it's not morning. We had to watch our silverware and cups for food residue and hair. Can't get bread on one side of the buffet and was told they were totally out of bread, then walked over the other side and there was plenty of bread. Never saw popcorn. I also miss the formal midnight buffet.

We only saw the bar person in the dining room on the last night too. Don't know where they were the other nights. Server and assistant were very nice, but didn't remember things like on Celebrity. Food was good and well made in the dining room. Service times varied. Sometimes we were done by 7pm and sometimes as late as 7:45 for the 6pm seating. Don't know why it took so long some nights. Our steward was great. My cabin was fine and loved the towel animals.

Two things really would be a great change when they refurbish. The smoking was really annoying. Smoke everywhere and the smell was soaked into the public rooms. I come from an area where smoking is banned in public places, so I am not used to it at all anymore. Also a quiet room would be great. I had to bring homework with me and ended up staying in my room for hours doing it as there wasn't anyplace else, not even a quiet deck with chairs. The library was smoke filled and used by the bridge players. The books were locked up and not used much, I think.

Again, we had fun and were all ready talking about our next trip before this one was over.

Just off theLegend and just the overall unfriendliness of the staff surprised me. Staff and officers on the Legend were just not friendly. I really noticed it as I had just gotten off an NCL cruise where everyone says hello wherever they see you.

On he Legend if it wasn't your cabin steward in the hallway they don't speak!! I even came back to my cabin and found a whole group inside looking to replace the carpet and they barely explained their presence. There were 6 of them and only 2 even acknowledged us.

Now I thouroughly enjoyed my cruise and had a great dining room staff and bartender that took really good care of us but outside of that - nothing. Did not tip my cabin steward extra as I usually do as he had no personality and barely spoke. Did tip that dining staff extra, extra for the excellent service provided.

My husband says the staff looked a little overworked and that mght have been the reason. Definitely a morale issue on board!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the real motivation to do an outstanding job if one is assured, for the most part, of their service charge (tip) and in many cases as evidenced by the generous posters at cc, an additional ten or twenty is laid across their palm upon initial meetings? I have always felt the service was far superior when we gave the tip instead of it being attached to the S&S card.

I just got off the valor today.I did notice since i drink coke on the coke card i was always waiting till no one else was ordering reguardless of who got there first. The last nite went to bar at 12:30 and at 12: 45 waqs told it is now to late to be served.I was told to go up to cconsino and when i looked down i see same giving drinks to people after me at 12:55. In a week a guess that is my only complant.I enjoyed myself so much.

I have to disagree with that "Princess" comment. We sailed on Carnivale and then on the Dawn Princess. First of all I could not believe how much smaller the rooms were and I feel that Carnivale services were over and above Princess. We won't sail on a Princess again. Just shows, it depends on the person. We sailed with you on the VALOR and had fantastic service and oh so clean room and more coffee then we needed.

Will sail on Carnivale again and again.

MOM

But to everyone, I will have to add the most annoying thing to me on any ship is having bratty kids who dive and jump into the pools and hot tubs.

I had one parent encouraging his about 7 year into jumping. When I said something he told me to go to the adult pool. Adult pool also has jumping kids.

I have 4 kids and taught them to be considerate of other people. I wil say that most parents nowadays have forgotten about consideration. Yes I have complained but seems all ships are so afraid the passengers will get upset they don't like to say to much to the kids. But I don't let it ruin my trip.

MOM

Just off theLegend and just the overall unfriendliness of the staff surprised me. Staff and officers on the Legend were just not friendly. I really noticed it as I had just gotten off an NCL cruise where everyone says hello wherever they see you.

On he Legend if it wasn't your cabin steward in the hallway they don't speak!! I even came back to my cabin and found a whole group inside looking to replace the carpet and they barely explained their presence. There were 6 of them and only 2 even acknowledged us.

Now I thouroughly enjoyed my cruise and had a great dining room staff and bartender that took really good care of us but outside of that - nothing. Did not tip my cabin steward extra as I usually do as he had no personality and barely spoke. Did tip that dining staff extra, extra for the excellent service provided.

My husband says the staff looked a little overworked and that mght have been the reason. Definitely a morale issue on board!!!!!!!!!!

that sucks to hear :( I'll be on the Legend in a matter of weeks & there seems to be a lack of Legend reviews lately (or am I just overly excited?) Do you mind posting a full review? It would be greatly appreciated :D

Ive notice that the customer has become quite a pain in the rear. Alot, if not most of the people that complain about service have NEVER been in the service business. The guy that said the customer is always right, was full of it.

We tell people here at the hotel I work at, do not put your room key cards near a cell phone, magnet, or other magnetic strip type cards. We tell them this befor ethey leave the desk. As soon as they walk away they put them right next to their cell phone. Well guess what, it wiped out the magnetic stripe. We make the keys again, then they do it again, and claim its our fault.

Give the service industry a break folks, we are VERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYY underpaid to put up with jerks that expect us to blow sunshine up their bootay.

Give a little respect to us, and we more than return the favor.

FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

Ive notice that the customer has become quite a pain in the rear. Alot, if not most of the people that complain about service have NEVER been in the service business. The guy that said the customer is always right, was full of it.

We tell people here at the hotel I work at, do not put your room key cards near a cell phone, magnet, or other magnetic strip type cards. We tell them this befor ethey leave the desk. As soon as they walk away they put them right next to their cell phone. Well guess what, it wiped out the magnetic stripe. We make the keys again, then they do it again, and claim its our fault.

Give the service industry a break folks, we are VERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYY underpaid to put up with jerks that expect us to blow sunshine up their bootay.

Give a little respect to us, and we more than return the favor.

FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

Hey, Tim,,,,,I hear you :) As one hotel front desk worker to another,,,I hear you!!! I really love my job,,,and I love doing things to make people's stays more pleasant,,,,I'm VERY friendly, and I ALWAYS have a smile and a "welcome to XX hotel!" for them,,,,

but every once in a blue moon,,,,there's that customer that makes you shake your head,,,

There was the guy who was so drunk, he couldn't figure out how to use his room key, even though I wrote directions for him after the 3rd time he returned to the front desk,,,so I called security to come up and help him get to his room,,,and also because he started screaming obsenities at me at the top of his lungs and was starting to scare me,,,

and then he hauls off and hits me,,,yes,,,he hit me,,,thank God he was drunk and bearly got me (don't think he was seeing well enough to get me full in the face,,,it glanced off my shoulder),,,fortunately security saw it, and called the police,,,the security tape was quite convincing to a jury,,,

Then there was the guy who swore up and down (again, screaming obsenities at me) that there was a rat 4 inches long in the room,,,,of course, I apologized all over the place (even though we don't HAVE rats) and said the manager would be down to see it in 3 minutes,,,,,,,,and he claimed he flushed it down the toilet,,,like how do you flush a 4 inch rat? And even if I had HAD a 4 inch rat in my room, I certainly would have wanted the manager to SEE the dang thing!!!

Anyway, my point IS that 99% of customers are wonderful,,,,and can be calmed even when angry with a sympathetic ear and an offer to fix the problem,,,I've turned guests from screaming red faced brutes, to smiles in a few minutes,,,that's part of what I love about my job,,,the customer service,,,

But I hear you on some of them,,,you never know what will happen next in our industry, do you??:D Holly

Archived