Dress Length

islandchicklet

I need some opinions. I have two black formals for my cruise in a week and a half:eek:. I am having a hard time deciding if I need to take them back. They are both long and too long and me and the way they are made, not easy to alter. How long is too long?? I keep seeing pics with really long dresses but is that how "real" people are wearing them.

2356380446 731523516190969791753697466

Why not just hem them? It's really not hard to do--just takes a bit of time. As far as the "look"--they don't look bad, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to walk in! It's hard enough traversing those long hallways (in heels) while the ship is moving...and still looking good! Either hem the dresses or take them back and get something shorter (the hem should rest on the top of your foot) so that you can walk properly!!!

OOh those are beautiful! You can wear them, but you need to remember to lift the dress while you're walking and who wants to deal with that?

And if you take them to a tailor they can alter anything. Oh or a bridal shop. They do great alterations too.

Thanks guys, I figured it would be a pain to alter so I kept putting it off and now I am about out of time and I definitely don't have the time to find anything else. I just don't have a place to go that I felt comfortable with. The last lady I took some pants to from White House/Black Market said she couldn't alter them because of the material. So I am gun shy.

Thanks for the replies.

The gowns in the photos don't look too difficult to shorten. What I do is have the front hemmed just a fraction of an inch above the floor, then leave the back long so I have a small train. I do think it is a lot easier to walk if there is a front slit, though. Any place that does alterations (like a dry cleaner) should be able to do this.

not really hair, or from a horse. It is a bias woven polyester fiber, in a continuous length (can splice when needed for longer).see video Denverfabrics.com. you can do this by hand. hope this works for you..lucky

The gowns in the photos don't look too difficult to shorten. What I do is have the front hemmed just a fraction of an inch above the floor, then leave the back long so I have a small train. I do think it is a lot easier to walk if there is a front slit, though. Any place that does alterations (like a dry cleaner) should be able to do this.

I guess that did seem like my dresses. Those were just examples of how long they were. I don't have a pic of my dress but I do like the idea of hemming the front only.

not really hair, or from a horse. It is a bias woven polyester fiber, in a continuous length (can splice when needed for longer).see video Denverfabrics.com. you can do this by hand. hope this works for you..lucky

Thanks. I'll check into some of that. It might work for one dress but the other has some sheer fabric every so often and that is why I felt it would be difficult to hem because I had a pair of pants in sort of the same material (but not sheer:D) and the lady I took it to said she couldn't do it. It would probably help if I knew anything about this subject but I can't sew on a button so......:o

get it serged (the over loop stitching that prevents fraying) the knife cuts it close to the edge, it can be adjusted tight, some cheeper scarves have the marrowed edge. if it looks good..ok..if not, a "hankerchief (rolled) hem can be done by hand, using a looses spiral motion stitch. The look is dainty and not very noticable, better scarf edges have this method also! you'll figger it out sweety. lucky

The true answer is the dress is too long if you are not comfortable in it, no matter the length, style or material. I'd not risk breaking a leg or an arm or worse just for the sake of wearing a dress for formal night.

Trust your own instincts, you say the dresses are too long for you. Rushing an alteration can have disasterous results. It's really not too late to shop for another dress, one that is shorter and would work better for you. I've taken to wearing cocktail length dresses now, instead of long gowns...so much easier to pack.

Archived