Luggage Tags at the Pier?

Psoque

We are sailing out of Barcelona aboard Century in November. I'm not sure when this procedure was put into place, but for the first time for us, the cruise documents were sent to me via e-mail. That's perfectly fine with us, but we were a bit puzzled to find out that we will not be receiving the usual pre-printed adhesive luggage tags in the mail. My understanding is that we have to pick them up at the pier.

I don't mind not having the luggage tags with me when we fly out of Buffalo. We never put the tags on our bags until just before arriving at the pier, because we don't want to a) confuse the airlines people, b) risk the tags being removed/damaged.

However, I'm wondering if the Celebrity people have organized the logistics at the pier to make the luggage tag thing go smoothly. Has anyone been in the similar situlation at Barcelona already? I am a bit concerned that the procedure at the pier might be very disorganized...I just can't imagine the "typical" luggage porter people being able to review our cruise documents and giving us correct luggage tags. Also, it almost sounds like we have to go through two lines, one for getting our documents checked for luggage tags, and another for getting us checked into the ship. This just sounds like a recipe for chaos. Or, maybe I am underestimating the organizational skills of the people from Celebrity Cruises.

We also have sailed out of Barcelona and it was the same as other ports that we arrived at with no luggage tags because of being sent e-docs. The luggage handlers will have blank luggage tags and you simply give them your cabin number. You don't need to bring a marker (sharpie) as they will be the ones who fill in the tag. I always stay long enough to see that the correct cabin number has been written on the tags on all of our bags. For us the procedure has always gone without problems as part of the luggage drop off process which you have to do separately from the cruise cheak in even if you had luggage tags sent to you as part of your documents.

We are also sailing on Century from Barcelona, doing the Dec. 1st TA and also flying out of Buffalo at the end of Nov. to get to this cruise.

If you are concerned about language issues just bring a printed off copy of the sample baggage tag in your cruise e-docs with you to show. This even shows the quadrant/sextant location but in our experience they simply write the cabin number on the tags which has your ship's name preprinted on it.

Archived