NCL Sky vs. RCL Majesty

funinthsun

Does anyone have any thoughts on preferences of these two Bahama sailings. Same itineries. I was just wondering if anyone has been on these 2 ships and can help me decide. BTW...booking an ov guarantee.

Please let me know the good and the bad.

Thanks,

Happy Sailing.....

Don't book the aft on the Sky. I recently had an aft cabin and the sewerage smell was eveident. The rest of the ship and the cruise were fine.

Where were you we are in 8266 and I have the opportunity to change rooms. It this one in a smelly area? Thanks

Don't book the aft on the Sky. I recently had an aft cabin and the sewerage smell was eveident. The rest of the ship and the cruise were fine.

Happy to report that we had an aft balcony on the viking deck over the weekend and no sewage smells at all! We were pleasantly suprised after all of the negative reports.

Does anyone have any thoughts on preferences of these two Bahama sailings. Same itineries. I was just wondering if anyone has been on these 2 ships and can help me decide. BTW...booking an ov guarantee.

Please let me know the good and the bad.

Thanks,

Happy Sailing.....

I have cruised both ships and I much prefer the Sky. Infact the only cruise we ever took that was a little of a disappointment was the Majesty of the Sea. It wasn't all the ships fault, several issues were present, but if for no other reason I would choose the Sky for cabins. Ok, we all know the cabins on the Sky are not huge, but on the Majesty they are really small, plus our service was just so so....at best.

Nita

I guess we are not much help-- as we have never been on the Sky.... we have been on the Majesty a couple of times before the remodel. Basically we went on the Majesty at the time- because of the price and timing we had available. THe rooms were definitelyquite small-- but unlike Nita we happened to have great service both times. The ship was "kinda" old-- but have heard they did a good job on the remodel.

I know this isnt much help--because no cruise has ever been bad for us!:) A cruise is a CRUISE!!;) (Always a great vay-cay!)

Just did Majesty in Sept and what can I say... I was on a cruise so I had a great time!

About the ship....well, it's the smallest I've been on but that made it easy to figure out how to get around. It is laid out fairly well. The cabin (ours was a deluxe oceanview) was very small. If you have the bed together as a queen than one side is flush up against the cabin wall so you have to roll over your partner to get out of bed! That's small. bathroom was typical size. It was kept pretty well clean, I don't like the carpet poolside, it is soaking wet all the time. The poolside bathrooms were VEY dirty, avoid them.

The ship overall had a large number of people from Miami that liked to party, latino style! If you like the latin thing, dancing etc, this was the ship to dance and party on. It totally caters to that crowd.

The shows were equivalent to community theater type. The food was VERY good in the dining room, it was average at the small buffet. There was a notable language issue with passengers that did not speak spanish as most of the crew spoke spanish much better than english.

The RCI private island Coco Cay is absolutely WONDERFUL. Honestly, I could not find one thing wrong with this place, other than I had to leave it!

I was able to hike/walk around the entire island as it was low tide most of the day we were there, it is beautiful and you can easily get away form everyone and feel you have the whole island to yourself. I have not been to NCL's island yet, but it will have to be pretty good to outdo Coco Cay. I am totally looking forward to experincing the laid back anytime attidtide of NCL. I don't like having to eat when I am told and rush back from port.

The Bahamas are not my favorite ports, not that they aren't nice, but I like less crowded more remote beach and "islandy" areas. I would rec that you plan a day excursion and not just wing it.

I hope this info helps a bit.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you decide.

Jan

Can't speak for Sky but have done Majesty of the Seas several times, one of which was before the renovation. It has been our favorite short cruise, especially the four-night cruise which includes Key West.

We have always felt the crew was the friendliest we have encountered on any ship. The food isn't bad either. We haven't experienced the difficulty with Spanish speaking crew mentioned above. Yes, some speak Spanish, but just as many speak Tagalog and there were crew from the Caribbean and from Eastern Europe.

We have seen Latino guests and Cuban/Americans on the ship, but on the cruises we took, they were not even close to being a majority. My impression was that most people were from the Mid-West. We prefer to cruise in winter months, so that may be part of the reason why we usually encounter Mid-Western passengers.

I have been on both NCL's island Great Stirrup Cay and Coco Cay. Like the poster above, we do prefer Coco Cay and for the very same reasons that poster mentions. I'll also add that Coco Cay has a little better beach BBQ.

That said, we loved our cruise on Pearl and thought the food was better than RCI has had in the last couple years. So you might prefer Sky if it has the same quality food as Pearl and you might like that Sky offers Anytime Dining while Majesty of the Seas does not. Also Majesty of the Seas does have a formal night even on the three-night cruise. Sky does not designate a shipwide formal night.

My guess is that you will have a great time no matter which ship you choose.

I have not been on the Sky BUT I love the RCCL Majesty!

To the OP, I have not been on either ship but on the Sky you can book a balcony-I know the Majesty has suites but do the suites have balconies? Either way, a suite is much more expensive than a balcony. Plus the Sky has larger rooms. the only advantage to the Majesty to me is- if you live in GA, SC, NC, or northen FL-it would be an easy drive to Charlestson, SC.

I live in Atlanta, and although, the Majesty would be less than half the time driving (5 hours verus 11 hours) I believe I would drive further for the SKY.

NOW I WOULD pick the Majesty for Bermuda from Charleston,SC.

This is what we booked, although we looked at NCL Majesty, NCL Sky and RCI Majesty of the Seas- we went with the NCL Pearl, their 7 day cruise on a 2 year old ship that was just as cheap as the NCL Majesty and we go to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Great Stirrup Cay. That is WORTH driving 11 hours!

To the OP, I have not been on either ship but on the Sky you can book a balcony-I know the Majesty has suites but do the suites have balconies? Either way, a suite is much more expensive than a balcony. Plus the Sky has larger rooms. the only advantage to the Majesty to me is- if you live in GA, SC, NC, or northen FL-it would be an easy drive to Charlestson, SC.

I live in Atlanta, and although, the Majesty would be less than half the time driving (5 hours verus 11 hours) I believe I would drive further for the SKY.

NOW I WOULD pick the Majesty for Bermuda from Charleston,SC.

This is what we booked, although we looked at NCL Majesty, NCL Sky and RCI Majesty of the Seas- we went with the NCL Pearl, their 7 day cruise on a 2 year old ship that was just as cheap as the NCL Majesty and we go to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Great Stirrup Cay. That is WORTH driving 11 hours!

Thanks for all of your help. I have decided on RCCL Majesty of the Seas. I could not pass up the great price for a quick week end get away...

Happy sailing all.....

Thanks for all of your help. I have decided on RCCL Majesty of the Seas. I could not pass up the great price for a quick week end get away...

Happy sailing all.....

RCCL Just put $35,000,000 into a complete refurb of Majesty in 2007. :D New Bedding, Flat screen tv's in staterooms and so on.. She will be very nice... You can go to Youtube.com and type in Majesty of the Seas and look for a video from "THE CRUISE GUY" about Majesty. Very informative and some good video of the ship. Enjoy her..:)

Happy sailing all.....

I have a bazzillion photos of my trip in Sept if you want to see anything in particular, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Zukeeper4 at aol.com (you know what to do with the "at")

Jan

We have seen Latino guests and Cuban/Americans on the ship, but on the cruises we took, they were not even close to being a majority. My impression was that most people were from the Mid-West. We prefer to cruise in winter months, so that may be part of the reason why we usually encounter Mid-Western passengers.

I would agree, my Mom sails Majesty in the winter months and has had the same blend of midwestern/Canadian passengers. I think in Sept leaving from Miami there is a larger number of Floridians cruising. On my cruise in September I felt the cruise line was catering to the weekend party customer and it was a blast as I love latin music/dancing and had many opportunities to dance the night (and day and afternoon for that matter) away!

Have a great cruise!

Jan

Happy sailing all.....

Did you know the NCL Pearl is $199 for an inside Nov. 2? Now that is only 3 days away, but talk about a DEAL for a 7 day cruise! and this ship is only 2 years old!

BTW,( DUH to me) I finially realized you meant RCI Majesty of the Seas not NCL Majesty-but most of what I posted EXCEPT the Chareston, SC departure still applies.

RCCL Just put $35,000,000 into a complete refurb of Majesty in 2007. :D New Bedding, Flat screen tv's in staterooms and so on.. She will be very nice... You can go to Youtube.com and type in Majesty of the Seas and look for a video from "THE CRUISE GUY" about Majesty. Very informative and some good video of the ship. Enjoy her..:)

HAL has flat screen TVs on their newer ships. They also have DVD players in the TVs. I imagine soon, all the lines will do this, as they replace the TVs on ships.

Archived