Recently back from Island Panama Canal

J.A.H.

When we took the 10-day Panama Canal voyage last year on the Coral Princess, we took the tour that took us around the island. We saw the aloe vera farm (they were working that day), the Natural and Baby Bridges, the highest point on the island and the last thing was a visit to a beach. Amazingly, only my companion and I got off the bus to enjoy the water. There were other folks from earlier tours at the beach, but only us from our bus. The water was spectacular and a brief respite from the heat.

I wish our tour had stopped at the beach, where I could have at least waded in the Caribbean Sea and taken more pictures. It would have added a lot to this tour. Actually, a tour of the Butterfly Farm, a drive around the island and a short trip to the beach would have been just about perfect:)

I also took sunscreen, bug spray (which I didn't need), hand held fan, and a water bottle (that only stayed cold for a short time in the heat). Your cruise next month should be dryer, since that is the start of the dry season. Don't get me wrong, this was a great cruise on a terrific ship. I just wasn't used to the humidity. I wasn't the only one suffering:eek:

Yes, December is the beginning of dry season, thank goodness. But I'm used to HOT AND HUMID - our July and August often have 95 degress with 95% humidity. Not pleasant, but I'm pretty heat/humidity tolerant. I'm hoping that the Tilley hat and the fan will help. ;)

Yes, December is the beginning of dry season, thank goodness. But I'm used to HOT AND HUMID - our July and August often have 95 degress with 95% humidity. Not pleasant, but I'm pretty heat/humidity tolerant. I'm hoping that the Tilley hat and the fan will help. ;)

What is a Tilley hat? We're on the Island in March and while we also have lots of heat & humidity here in Jersey, anything I can bring with me to make it more bearable works for me!

Can you comment on the cabins on the Island? I have a minisuite on Baja deck on hold for Alaska. It's B416. I notice the lift is very near. Anyone know about this location and type of cabin? Thanks so much!

Try this site .....

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id2.html

from what I can tell, you have a covered mini on a bump out (good thing). Look at the photos on the website, though ..... you are on the corner and that does leave you exposed.

Hi! For me, flying is something I haven't done - since long before all the new rules and regs.....just don't do it - and most of it IS fear since I lost my sister in a commuter airplane crash years ago.

On our partial Canal cruise R/T from LA when we turned around in Lake Gatun to return to the Pacific side locks, we could see many of the ships lined up to go through the Gatun Locks.

That made me feel that we were pretty close to the Caribbean side - but not sure what was up ahead. Perhaps the Gatun Lock area is much narrower, making you closer to the wildlife. Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to find out! :D

We were pretty close to the land while cruising through the Gaillard Cut, between Pedro Miguel Locks and Lake Gatun. All in all, it was spectacular!

I hear you about the flying.........I'm not afraid but hate the hassle, expense and stress. Maybe I should have phrased that differently. Of course any cruise is enjoyable and so is seeing any part of the canal. Our first time was the full transit however, and it was just the excitement and novelty more than anything. It is nice to spend the entire day and see the whole process at both ends, and the transit all the way through Lake Gatun and the canal is beautiful. I think you get to see more of the "jungle" on the full transit as the canal is narrow in spots? We were on a lower deck on the Summit, sitting in comfy loungers with a bottle of champagne and looking at the wildlife and gorgeous scenery that seemed so close. That didn't happen on the partial transits. We did 2 of those on RCCL. I think the novelty is wearing off for us, but I will never forget my first time (sigh) :p

Thank you for all the comments!!!

I'll be on the Island doing the 10 day full canal from Acapulco to FLL. We jumped on that one since it's a full transit but doesn't take 2 weeks to do which is harder for me to do (I have 20 days a year, I just can't use them all at the same time...).

I really look forward to it since my first Princess cruise was on its sistership, the Sun, in Alaska and it was a wonderful ship (dare I say nicer than the Crown and Caribbean I've sailed since then?).

As far as the tours, my folks and I are a bit ambivalent about all of them. None REALLY spark our interest. Since my parents have done the canal 4 times already on other lines, I'll just tag along with them in the ports...

I really look forward to it since my first Princess cruise was on its sistership, the Sun, in Alaska and it was a wonderful ship (dare I say nicer than the Crown and Caribbean I've sailed since then?).

To be precise, the Island is NOT a sister to the Sun. She weighs in about 15,000 tons heavier and is over 100 feet longer, but she only carries 20 more passengers. I think you'll find her to be a worthy successor to the Sun-class ships. IMHO, the Island/Coral sisters are Princess' best ships...

Archived