Port Charges, Taxes, Fuel, Etc.

1of5G

I booked my cruise through a TA. I regularly compare prices online with Carnival. I noticed that I have paid a total of $949 in port charges, tax, and fuel for 1 cabin for 4 people. Carnival charges a total of $405 for the same things for 1 cabin for 4 people. Why is there such a difference? Is it the TA commission? Did I pay too much? Should I ask for a credit?

Does the TA's charges include Trip Insurance and/or pre-paid tips? Try to check itemized breakdown from TA against itemized Carnival breakdown - all those fees you mentioned are fixed amounts, same for Carnival or thru TA.

Does the TA's charges include Trip Insurance and/or pre-paid tips? Try to check itemized breakdown from TA against itemized Carnival breakdown - all those fees you mentioned are fixed amounts, same for Carnival or thru TA.

No, I'm responsible for gratuities and I went with Insuremytrip.com because it was less expensive than what the TA offered. I have an itemized breakdown from TA. It shows fuel surcharge of $49 for 2 guests and $14 for 2 guests(7 day cruise). Port charges of $159 per guest and Tax of $46.74 per guest. Carnival said that the grand total on their website included Port charges, taxes, fuel as well. The difference is over $544.

Carnival raised their prices on cabins and nixed the fuel surcharge for 2010 cruises, so I'm not sure if that's when you're cruising or not. I booked just days prior to this annoucement and the cabin price went up $80pp, but since there was not fuel surcharge the overall difference in price was about $20 total.

If you're checking Carnival's site now, it may not actually include fuel surcharges. Even though it may say it on the main screen at the bottom, when you look at the itemized breakdown, it may not be there. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say other than call your TA and ask why.

Is the total the same?? Carnival does include port charges in with their cruise fare that you see on their site as yst mentioned. Many TAs break this out in their invoice, because they do no get paid commission on this part of the fare (its called noncommissionable part of the fare).

All you need to do is add port charges back in and see if the overall price is the same. This is not something you need to worry about and is common on TA invoices.

PS port charges seem to run about $159 on a 7 day, some run much higher. So, take that figure and X it by 4 and then add in the fuel and taxes and yes, it could easily run over $900 for 4 people, sounds about right.

Is the total the same?? Carnival does include port charges in with their cruise fare that you see on their site as yst mentioned. Many TAs break this out in their invoice, because they do no get paid commission on this part of the fare (its called noncommissionable part of the fare).

All you need to do is add port charges back in and see if the overall price is the same. This is not something you need to worry about and is common on TA invoices.

PS port charges seem to run about $159 on a 7 day, some run much higher. So, take that figure and X it by 4 and then add in the fuel and taxes and yes, it could easily run over $900 for 4 people, sounds about right.

The overall total w/TA is still less than the overal total w/Carnival, but the Carnival price for just the cabin is more than w/TA price for just the cabin. So I'm paying much less for the cabin and much more for fees. If I look at the bottom line, I guess I'm still getting a good rate. It's just itemized differently'

The overall total w/TA is still less than the overal total w/Carnival, but the Carnival price for just the cabin is more than w/TA price for just the cabin. So I'm paying much less for the cabin and much more for fees. If I look at the bottom line, I guess I'm still getting a good rate. It's just itemized differently'

As another poster mentioned, the breakout of fees can be different between the TA and the cruiseline....as long as the bottom line is less expensive, that is all that matters.

As another poster mentioned, the breakout of fees can be different between the TA and the cruiseline....as long as the bottom line is less expensive, that is all that matters.

Thanks everyone for the info. I feel better:)

Firefly333 you are so smart and helpful, I like to read what you reply. :rolleyes:

Archived