what is an obstructed view?

we just booked our second cruise ( to Hawaii ) & paid for an inside cabin to save money. TA called & told her that Princess was doing a Promotion & that we could get an "obstructed view" for the same price. I told her go ahead, but now I.m wondering, whats obstructing the view?

usually the obstruction is a tender / lifeboat.....sometime all or part of it.

Lol that's a pretty big obstruction LOL thanks :)

Your TA should be able to find out "How Obstructed" the view is... many times it can be a "Partial Obstruction" and that is not bad at all..... Either way, you will have some "natural light" coming into your stateroom and I think you will be happy !

Whether the view is only slightly or significantly obstructed, the advantage of having natural light makes the change to obstructed from inside a very positive one for most folks. An inside is pitch black 24 hours a day. This can really mess with folk's biorhythms.

we just booked our second cruise ( to Hawaii ) & paid for an inside cabin to save money. TA called & told her that Princess was doing a Promotion & that we could get an "obstructed view" for the same price. I told her go ahead, but now I.m wondering, whats obstructing the view?

I would take the obstructed view cabin for sure! It's too bad they still put cabins near those lifeboats! They should just leave that deck for the purpose of the lifeboats so no cabins have obstructed views! Who knows why they keep building some ships that way - probably to have more people on board! PS - When is your cruise? Are you going on the Golden Princess? That's the one we're going on over Xmas for 14 days.

I've only been on 2 cruises and both times we had one with a view. However, we've passed inside cabins with the doors open. The room stewards working and on both ships I'd say that these rooms look small and dark. But, then there might be some ships where the inside rooms are bigger. If and when I cruise again (which will happen at some point), I will take an outside cabin without a doubt.

I would take the obstructed view cabin for sure! It's too bad they still put cabins near those lifeboats! They should just leave that deck for the purpose of the lifeboats so no cabins have obstructed views! Who knows why they keep building some ships that way - probably to have more people on board!

I think you are exactly right. But these cabins are a welcome alternative to the insides. As modern ships are designed to maximize the number verandah cabins now, there are consequently fewer alternatives for budget-conscious travelers. The Obsturcted help to meet these demands.

I would take the obstructed view cabin for sure! It's too bad they still put cabins near those lifeboats! They should just leave that deck for the purpose of the lifeboats so no cabins have obstructed views! Who knows why they keep building some ships that way - probably to have more people on board!

Are you saying they should put no cabins on an entire deck just so the view isn't obstructed??? What a waste of space! I really don't think they'd fill a whole deck at that level with public spaces.

What I think they should do is put obstructed oceanviews into their own pricing category, and price them between an inside and an unobstructed oceanview.

yes it is on the Golden Princess & we sail next March. TA sent me a deck plan & our room number, we are smack in the middle of a lifeboat, so it will be a very obstructed view, but that's OK, I like being near to the lifts, first cruise we were about 3 cabins down from the bow of the ship, & the walk from the lifts to the room wore me out. Thanks for all the input :) oh & the price was cheaper than the inside cabin, so that made up for the fuel surcharge ( & I thought gas prices had dropped ) $126pp fuel surcharge. :eek:

Archived