Cabin upgrade question compliments of RCCL

Voyager

I rec'd my docs a couple of weeks ago and my fiance and I decided to upgrade ourselfs from a PR cabin to a balcony for our honeymoon cruise. I I called RCCL the other day and did so for just a few hundred dollars more. I was given a balcony guarantee and was told to call back today to see if they had a cabin assignment for us. When I asked the rep she said, "wow you got a nice upgrade". When I asked what she meant she said that RCCL took me from a balcony to a Junior Suite. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked her to fax me confirmation which she did. I just dont understand how this could happen. Did they need my balcony for someone else. Any ideas ?

That's great for you! The "guarantee" means that you are guaranteed no worse than the category in which you booked. If enough people want specific cabins, then those in the guarantee get lucky and get an upgrade. We had our first aft cabin, also a JS, on an upgrade from a balcony guarantee. Now we are hooked on those - it's very savvy marketing by RCI.

Have a wonderful trip!

That's great for you! The "guarantee" means that you are guaranteed no worse than the category in which you booked. If enough people want specific cabins, then those in the guarantee get lucky and get an upgrade. We had our first aft cabin, also a JS, on an upgrade from a balcony guarantee. Now we are hooked on those - it's very savvy marketing by RCI.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks !

I think I will start another post asking for information on the JS's.

Lucky you. We have never met any one on our 6 RCI cruises who has been upgraded. I think I will use your plan of guarantee cabin next time and see what happens.

On the cruises I have taken, both balcony (E1, D1 and JS) we found the JS very nice. It is about 100 square feet bigger, nice walkin closet and a large bathroom with tub/shower. We also got upgraded shampoo, soap, lotion etc. I really liked the fact you could walk around the ks bed, store luggage in the closet and the best, lay in bed and look out the patio doors. Your neighbors can not look in. I believe that RCI now gives you two credits when you have a JS so that will move you forward faster up the crown and anchor chain (haha).

Lucky you. We have never met any one on our 6 RCI cruises who has been upgraded. I think I will use your plan of guarantee cabin next time and see what happens.

On the cruises I have taken, both balcony (E1, D1 and JS) we found the JS very nice. It is about 100 square feet bigger, nice walkin closet and a large bathroom with tub/shower. We also got upgraded shampoo, soap, lotion etc. I really liked the fact you could walk around the ks bed, store luggage in the closet and the best, lay in bed and look out the patio doors. Your neighbors can not look in. I believe that RCI now gives you two credits when you have a JS so that will move you forward faster up the crown and anchor chain (haha).

nny,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if the tub (love tubs) in the bathroom has jets or is it a regular tub? Also, does the JS have a VCR?

Thanks!

Marilyn

Marilyn,

What RCI ship are you sailing on? The Junior Suites on Radiance and Voyager class ships are approximately the same in size and layout, about 2-1/2 times the size of a regular balcony cabin. You will just love it...lots of room to chase the new hubby around. The bathtub is just a regular tub, but plenty of room for two! Enjoy your cruise and your Junior Suite.

On the Serenade and the Jewel, the JS had just a regular tub, like what you would have at home in a guest bath. No jets and a little tight for two. But it still a lot nicer than just a shower.

I think the JS rooms were near 300 square feet while the D cabins were near 200. I didn't think the balcony was much bigger, but it was cold and rainy so didn't get to spend any time on it.

I don't remember if there was a VCR or DVD players in the room. If there was, I am not sure where you would even rent or borrow tapes or dvd's.

The owner and royal suites are the ones with whirlpool tubs on the Radiance class ships.

If you go to royalcaribbean.com and look under find a cruise and then ships you can find out the layout of the cabins and what amenities are offered.

Have a great time on your vacation

Marilyn,

What RCI ship are you sailing on? The Junior Suites on Radiance and Voyager class ships are approximately the same in size and layout, about 2-1/2 times the size of a regular balcony cabin. You will just love it...lots of room to chase the new hubby around. The bathtub is just a regular tub, but plenty of room for two! Enjoy your cruise and your Junior Suite.

Hi !

Were on the Explorer. Just a few more days, we both need a nice vacation. Thanks for the info on the tub.

Marilyn

On the Serenade and the Jewel, the JS had just a regular tub, like what you would have at home in a guest bath. No jets and a little tight for two. But it still a lot nicer than just a shower.

I think the JS rooms were near 300 square feet while the D cabins were near 200. I didn't think the balcony was much bigger, but it was cold and rainy so didn't get to spend any time on it.

I don't remember if there was a VCR or DVD players in the room. If there was, I am not sure where you would even rent or borrow tapes or dvd's.

The owner and royal suites are the ones with whirlpool tubs on the Radiance class ships.

If you go to royalcaribbean.com and look under find a cruise and then ships you can find out the layout of the cabins and what amenities are offered.

Have a great time on your vacation

nny,

Thanks again for the info. As far as the VCR/DVD player, I was planning on bringing my own films. I did go to the RCCL web site but I wanted to ask those of you that were/are luckey enough to have been in a JS.

Marilyn

Hi,

We were on the Explorer in September and we had a jr. suite aft. It was a great cabin, large balcony and lots of storage, No dvd player though.

You do get a stereo and a dvd player with a grand suite and you borrow movies from the conceirge serivce.

Archived