How did you surprise your partner with a cruise?

KazinSD

On another thread in 1st time cruisers, there is someone trying to get their husband to cruise. The last couple of posts were from husbands/wives that won that battle and now have a cruise 'under the tree' for their DW/DH.

Ths got me to thinking, what are some of the unique ways you have sprung a cruise on your wife/husband/partner/friends?

I have a couple.

The first one was for our anniversary about 12 years ago. We own a RadioShack and it was the holiday shopping season so we were very busy, as usual. My wife had me record her favorite show (at that time anyways, who knows today what that was) and we settled in one evening to watch it. What she didn't know was that I had recorded a commercial on the camcorder and edited it into the show. When the commercial breaks came, the first on was a sound byte of Dennis Rodman appearing on some show, the second commercial was mine edited over whatever was supposed to be there. I said she probably had no idea why I was interrupting her show, but I had to anniunce she had won an all-expenses-paid cruise. My wife asked 'what's going on' about 6 times before she realized it was edited over what was really supposed to be advertised.

The second was for her 40th birthday, which was on JANUARY 21st of last year. But on JUNE 21st of 2006, we threw her a surprise birthday barbecue, complete with presents all wrapped up. Again with the 'what's going on', and we just kept saying it's your birthday and we wanted to show some love. Of course she adamantly said it wasn't her birthday and what was up? 'Your birthday! June 21st' She said, no, JANUARY 21st. Then my daughter and I acted ashamed that we got the date wrong... June, January... easy mistake. We told her she may as well open her gifts since they were bought for her and when she did... she found sunglasses, tanning lotion, a good book, and a custom crafted gift certificate for a free cruise which departed... JANUARY 21st, 2007.

Might as well have some fun while planning some fun, right?

You have to be a little careful pulling a surprise like this. Back about 14 years ago I thought it woul dbe nice to surprise my wife with a cruise for our anniversary. I wasn't going to tell her until the day of the cruise. I swore my travel agent to secrecy. I called her boss and cleared the time off. I did the same with all her family members and a couple clubs she belonged to. What could go wrong? Well, a couple nights before the cruise I came home from a function and my wife told me our travel agent called with a couple last minute updates for our cruise. Darn, the cat was out of the bag and my surprise was ruined. Now I was mad at my TA so I called her. She explained she had just forgot about the cruise being a secret etc.. She then said "You are taking your wife aren't you?". To which I answered "I am now.".

Lovely stories :D Thanks for sharing them..... on a grey day it's good to smile.

SO currently thinks he's going to base camp Mount Everest for his birthday in March. He knows that's not really the location but that's all he's getting from me. I'm going to try and leave it to the very last minute just before touchdown Miami before I tell him it's a cruise..... Just have to figure out how to get him to pack appropriately.....

I surprised him for his 40th; he only knew the location when we got to the airport and surprise surprise his DS and BIL were there to travel with us! This wasn't a cruise however.

Archived