Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

There are very, very good in every line of work and there are very, very bad.

Good doctors, bad ones; good lawyers, bad ones; good TA's and some really bad ones.

very true. As for TAs going under, you do bring up a point. The ones though that are having it the hardest are the mom and dad companies and the super discount online companies:: the trend that seems to be working the best is home based companies..

Eventually tech will take over, the personal touch will disappear and there won't be anymore travel agents. That isn't going to happen in the next couple of years, but I will admit, I wouldn't want to just be getting started in the business today and expect to make it my life's career.

Nita

Thank all of you so far for the info. about this travel company. We and another couple are booked on the Eurodam for 1/3/09 thru this company. I found out there was a problem yesterday when I received a letter from the insurance that no payment was received and the policy has been canceled. I tried to get the agent but to no avail. I called HAL and also talked to Angie, she was very accommodating and contacted the consilidator who is to call me back.

I have already notified my credit card company about the situation. Two charges were made by the TA to themselves, I never realized the problem till today. I hope to book the balance directly thru HAL. I am confident that all will be worked out. First time for this type of problem after 25 cruises booked all thru TA's. My booking number is still good along with all the reservations and etc.

I remember that and also remember you were not happy about it. I totally agreed. I would not permit a TA to charge my trip in any fashion except directly to the provider.

Your Antartica trip seems an exception. You had little choice.

Sail, I know its confusing but the Antarctic trip WAS charged directly to Abercrombie & Kent (a travel company which the moderator did tell me months ago was OK to post since they were not the travel agent).

Its confusing but on this trip half the ship is reserved for Swan Hellenic passengers (mostly European) but US citizens have to book through A&K. They have half a charter. Swan also charters the ship to Regent on some expeditions (which it appears is ending). But the staff is the same.

I phoned A&K and they were wonderful. They have my booking, are notating the conversation and I will send them my paperwork from the TA electronically tomorrow. Further communications will be direct with them. They already notated that we will be using the hotel in BA a day early, the size parkas we want and other stuff.

Eventually tech will take over, the personal touch will disappear and there won't be anymore travel agents. That isn't going to happen in the next couple of years, but I will admit, I wouldn't want to just be getting started in the business today and expect to make it my life's career.

This will not happen in the cruise industry. There are simply too many questions and situations with booking for the average person for "tech" to wipe it out.

I was in the same situation as GEBO. My cruise was paid in full for 7 weeks and I could not register online with HAL. I finally called Hal and explained my problem. They called the online booking agency and worked it out. Am I grateful to HAL and the timing of my cruise. Good luck to everyone who is in limbo right now. Not good!!

very true. As for TAs going under, you do bring up a point. The ones though that are having it the hardest are the mom and dad companies and the super discount online companies:: the trend that seems to be working the best is home based companies..

Nita

A point I want to make is that you can just not tell (well the change to charging to themselves was a clue they were having financial problems. I asked directly and they told me they were bought by another company this year - so that may have been their demise).

But, remember, they advertised on CC (I know perhaps anyone who pays can do that), but I still have an e-mail from HAL, over a year ago stating they were very reputable and one of their biggest agents. Even the one page up on their web shows them with Carnival executives! One customer service person I dealt with was extremely professional.

I suspect, as far as booking cruises, in the near future, most of us will book directly on cruise line web sites and will never have a conversation with a person in regard to the vast majority of bookings. I think all cruise lines will ultimately set a fare for a certain cabin on a certain ship/itinerary and there will be no more of this discounting game. As soon as they think they can get enough bookings on their own without need for TA referrals and recommendations, I think they will happily take the booking electronically and direct cruise line to customer.

My projection includes 'in house reps', as well. I suspect there will be fewer and fewer of them selling. It will all be by cruise line web site.

Just got off the phone with Carnival to make sure all is OK with my res. It is fine, but my brother - who booked later, still shows a balance due!!! We are sailing Dec. 14.

The agent I spoke with said they hadn't received any info on this agency closing the door. I read him the blog info. He said he would check up on it....he seemed very surprised as they are one of Carnival's largest booking agencies. Usually, they are notified when something like this happens and they prepare for large volume calls.....

Brother is on the phone with his CC company now.....

What a shame. I've booked 8 cruises with them over the past 3/4 years and have found them to be delightful to work with....

I'm currently on hold with the agency....the phone was electronically answered and I'm getting "ON HOLD" message and Muzak.....will update if/when I get anyone on the line.

I was suspicious after someone on this bb posted about this agency charging to themselves and then paying the cruise line......

My eyebrows raised when I read this, too.

The only time I have experienced a TA holding funds, the TA went out of business, too. That particular agency was operating a pyramid scheme with a focus on Celebrity Cruise line and it eventually caught up to them. We were among the fortunate few who were able to cruise in our inside cabin because subsequent deposits made by other passengers in more costly acommodations were used, by the TA, to pay for it.

Some trip insurance covers the financial default of the travel supplier, airline, cruise line, hotel or tour operator, only if the supplier completely shuts down. I am not aware of any trip insurance that covers the default of a travel agency. ( This does not mean that there are no such policies- just that I have not found one).

Cruise line contracts make it clear that the travel agency is the passenger's agent, not that of the cruise line and they are not responsible for travel agent error/ommission or failure.

Just got off the phone with Carnival to make sure all is OK with my res. It is fine' date=' but my brother - who booked later, still shows a balance due!!! We are sailing Dec. 14.

The agent I spoke with said they hadn't received any info on this agency closing the door. I read him the blog info. He said he would check up on it....he seemed very surprised as they are one of Carnival's largest booking agencies. Usually, they are notified when something like this happens and they prepare for large volume calls.....

What a shame. I've booked 8 cruises with them over the past 3/4 years and have found them to be delightful to work with....

I'm currently on hold with the agency....the phone was electronically answered and I'm getting "ON HOLD" message and Muzak.....will update if/when I get anyone on the line.[/quote']

I let it sit on the speaker phone for an HOUR. Nothing. There is no one home.

For those people who used the TA in question and have some concerns at this point, I'm sorry to hear that.

I am the blogger who posted about the TA's demise. I'm not entirely sure about the status of bookings made through the company. I would most definitely advise anyone who has made final payment recently to check their credit card statements to see where the charge went. In many, if not most cases, those charges were made directly to the TA and not the travel provider. If this is the case, you may have some work ahead of you. If you haven't made final payment yet, expect to pay the full undiscounted fare if the booking is returned to the cruise line directly. The TA discounted from commission to get you the lower rate.

As a travel agent myself, I understand why some people are reticent to deal with anyone but a direct travel provider. Travel agents can be valuable sources of knowledge and can also be a source for some great pricing. But it pays to do research, it pays to ask questions, and it pays to understand the type of travel agent you are using. All travel agents are not created equal.

I've been calling all day and no one ever answers. I know the music-on-hold by heart now. (I love the song "Besame Mucho" they play on there, though.)

I called HAL as well and asked about getting documents issued, since I never received mine. The agent took my phone number and said someone will call me back within one to two days. :( I did fax my info to the world cruise reservations center as NetwrkEng did.

Well, I can only wait to see what happens.

Originally Posted by NetwrkEng viewpost.gif

Hal told me to fax a note explaining the situation to the world cruise reservations center (206-281-0627) and HAL will move the booking.

Just got off the phone with Carnival to make sure all is OK with my res. It is fine' date=' but my brother - who booked later, still shows a balance due!!! We are sailing Dec. 14.

I'm currently on hold with the agency....the phone was electronically answered and I'm getting "ON HOLD" message and Muzak.....will update if/when I get anyone on the line.[/quote']

Jade....... A & K is a highly reputable company. They run a good trip. Hope you have a great gtime.

I know. Have you used them? We placed a deposit in 2007 for 2009. I had been looking at the trip, the dates we wanted came out and suddenly A&K and this trip were mentioned on the Today show. I was concerned it would sell out and booked asap.

It's ironic that final payment was just last Monday. I was totally concerned months ago and adamant that this agency pay A&K directly to the point that I phoned my credit card company twice to tell them to whom this payment was authorized and to whom it was not.

If you haven't made final payment yet, expect to pay the full undiscounted fare if the booking is returned to the cruise line directly. The TA discounted from commission to get you the lower rate.

That is not what Angie from HAL told me. I asked if HAL would honor the fare I received from the TA and she said they would. :confused: Now I have something else to worry about.

Jade: We have not used A&K but several of our 'very particular' friends did and were well satisfied. They went on rather pricey trips and they said everything was as they expected it to be.

You should have a great time.

How many days is the trip?

I just spoke to the very large and popular online agency I use all the time and they told me specifically that they always charge directly to the cruise line not to them, which I knew was true. They have always been so good and helpful to me. They are in Florida, which is rumored to be another place where one is going down, and they assured me it wasn't them, but still, one has to be cautious.

But, remember, they advertised on CC (I know perhaps anyone who pays can do that), but I still have an e-mail from HAL, over a year ago stating they were very reputable and one of their biggest agents. Even the one page up on their web shows them with Carnival executives! One customer service person I dealt with was extremely professional.

They were also on the CLIA Executive Board and now that web page seems to have been pulled.

CLIA insures the cruise line/tour operator against TA default for a maximum of $15K for a single TA office and $20K for a multi-office operation. That sum might cover a few suites.

A year ago, it might have been almost unimaginable that AIG, FNMA/FHLMC, Bear, Lehman, Merrill, Countrywide, heck even Iceland would be where they are today. These are extraordinary times.

my friend discovered that her husband assumed the AmEx charge was for HAL--it actually was paid to "the agency". They also processed the charge almost three weeks before our agent did for the same cruise--sounds fishy.

They're working with AmEx right now to dispute the charges--they've also placed two calls to HAL's Seattle office to find out if payment was received but got the "we'll call you back in a day or two" answer....

Update: she just went online to their boarding pass--got the "cannot print until paid in full" message, so "the agency" clearly scammed them......final payment was due 10/31, "the agency" charged their card on 10/10

Sad news, my thanks to the OP especially for the link. I used that company last spring and they were professional and did exactly what they promised in a timely manner. The one time I contacted their customer service (fare reduction) they handled it well. It sounds like their integrity started to unravel as their ship started taking on water.

Their website is still up but the links and search feature are dead.

Archived