Palma, Majorca

Here is some information from anothere CC member and is what we are planning to do this coming January while ported in Palma:

When we went, there was a half-day trip from the ship to Soller by the (100 year-old) train through the mountains then on the tram to the Port de Soller. It's a lovely trip and very picturesque.

We didn't do the ship's trip and did this on our own - but we did have all day in Palma so time wasn't an issue. We caught a service bus back to Palma and this took us via a coastal route then to Deia and Valledemosa which was really spectacular. It was one of the best trips we've done in the Med.

A bit more detail from someone else:

It is possible to do the Soller trip in a much shorter time frame, especially if you get the direct bus service back to Palma through the tunnel (sadly missing Deia and Valldemossa) but saving a lot of time.

There is a bus service from the cruise terminal (just walk to the end of the berthing area) and you can catch the Linea 1 bus from here to central Palma. The buses run about every 15 minutes and you need to go to Placa Estacions which takes 10 - 15 minutes and costs 1.85E. (On the bus timetable, the stop is called Placa Estacions, but on the city map the bus stop looks to be opposite the Placa Espanya so the bus might call it either of these - whichever - just get off there - you're in the right place!) Here is the link for the timetable.

http://www.emtpalma.es/EMTPalma/Fron...da&cod_linea=1

You get on at the port (opposite end of the line from the airport). When you get off at the Placa Estacions (a map of Palma will help you track where you are - I think they were handing them out at the port) look for the main railway station. The Soller train leaves from a station just to the left hand side of the main rail station as you look at the station.

I think the train is the scenic route? You need to understand that the train from Palma to Soller is an old, narrow-gauge line that's quite slow and rattley. Then from Soller (which is a couple of mile or so inland) there's an even older, slower and rattlier tram-way down to Puerto de Soller. You might well find that buses are quicker overall, but even they will take almost 90 minutes from central Palma to Puerto de Soller.

Here is a link to the Soller train timetable:

http://www.tramuntana.info/transport.html

This also has the tram timetable too. You catch the tram just outside of the train terminus. This takes about 10 minutes down to the Port which is very pretty and lovely to have a coffee/enjoy the picturesque setting.

After the tram times are the bus services which will get you back to Palma. You can check out the times of these

http://tib.caib.es/terrestre/autobusos200.en.htm

The scenic route takes 1hour 30minutes and was service L210.

The direct service was L211 and took 40 minutes. (But please double check these from the timetable as I'm referring to the info I took with me 2 years ago.) L211 is the direct bus from Port de Soller to Palma and goes through the new tunnel. Scheduled travel time is 40 minutes so it's quick enough.

Just checked out and bookmarked the HOHO site. Looks like a great alternative to a ship tour. I like the idea of being able to spend our time where WE want to spend it. Thanks!

We were also in Palma last month and also took the antique train to Soller. It was very inexpensive and a pleasant ride. The Port of Soller is lovely. I only wish we had more time to explore. Instead of taking the train back, we decided to hop on the faster bus.

2P.P1

Here is some information from anothere CC member and is what we are planning to do this coming January while ported in Palma:

I'm confused lambs2, I thought that the Jade is going to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands; not Palma, Majorca?? Am I wrong?:confused:

You are right Diana. I originally researched the wrong Palma for theJade trip and I still get confused between the ports. Should be interesting when Larry and I get there and I have to make sure I bring the correct travel notes or we'll be walking around in a daze. :confused: (We have a transatlantic next April scheduled which goes to a bunch of different ports so I gwt ports mixed up...plus I'm a dizzy blonde!)

Archived