Drink coupons-work for you?

nagster

But they really don't save you money.

They do if you buy the right drink. Like I said, you pay an average of $5.32 for each coupon. That includes tip. The coupon is good for a drink worth up to $5.25. The drink I have is $5.25. Add in tip, and it's $6.05. But I only paid $5.32 for the coupon, which already includes tip. So I save 70 cents using the coupon.

That was the point of all my math. If you buy a drink with a pre-tip cost of $4.61, you break even. Anything up to $5.25, you save money.

They do if you buy the right drink. Like I said, you pay an average of $5.32 for each coupon. That includes tip. The coupon is good for a drink worth up to $5.25. The drink I have is $5.25. Add in tip, and it's $6.05. But I only paid $5.32 for the coupon, which already includes tip. So I save 70 cents using the coupon.

That was the point of all my math. If you buy a drink with a pre-tip cost of $4.61, you break even. Anything up to $5.25, you save money.

7 day cruise for 2 people, lets say 8 drinks (4 per person) a day = 64 drinks X .70 = $44.80 you save if you buy a 5.25 drink.

70 cents per drink adds up quickly on a week long cruise.

But again, it is what works best for each person.

I have never bought the drink tickets but I have bought the gift certificates. Those work great for keeping the cost down at the end of the cruise. We normally book a year in advance. So every other week I put money on the cruise and then the other weeks I buy the gift certificates. I used to mail them in and they would apply them to my S & S card but now I just put my booking number in the address line and they apply it to my S & S card. Last year when we cruised we spent a lot of money but when we got our bill at the end we only owed 194.00.

We have always purchased our cruise a couple months out and paid in full. How does the payment plan work if you book in advance?

7 day cruise for 2 people, lets say 8 drinks (4 per person) a day = 64 drinks X .70 = $44.80 you save if you buy a 5.25 drink.

70 cents per drink adds up quickly on a week long cruise.

But again, it is what works best for each person.

Exactly. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. I got lucky. Just wish I'd figured it out a long time ago!

And my credit card only wishes I only drank 4 drinks per day...:rolleyes::o

I totally get your math. What I'm saying is that they are starting to charge the difference, so in the future, you'll have to pay the $.70.

I totally get your math. What I'm saying is that they are starting to charge the difference, so in the future, you'll have to pay the $.70.

They'll have to change the print on the coupon then. It specifically says gratuity included, good on any drink priced up to $5.25. If they ever tell me to pay the extra 70 cents I will have an issue with that when it clearly says otherwise directly on the ticket.

My sister was unable to cruise (has a 6 month old and no vacation time left), but sent my parents drink coupons in honor of the 40th anniversary. They ordered martinis at dinner every night and had to pay the difference. So, no savings on the price of the drink.

But if their martinis cost significantly more than $5.25, then yes... they would pay the difference. Some of the top-shelf specialty drink ARE 6, 7 8 bucks, and for those, you would have to pay the difference.

What everyone else is saying is, if you order a regular liquor drink, that would normally be $5.25, as stated on the bar menu, you ARE saving approximately 70 cents. Any purchase made that's over that $5.25, and yeah, you're not getting a deal, you're just using a $5.25 gift certificate.

Archived