Driving in Grand Cayman

j4farm

This is something I have never heard any one comment on on these boards. What is it like to drive on the left hand side of the road? Isn't is really hard to get used to? We were debating about renting a car while we were in Grand Cayman on Dec. 8, but I am thinking it might be so confusing that is would be easy to have an accident. I have read that it is an easy island to drive around and explore on our own, but it just seems so unnatural to drive on the left side:confused:

Yes, it can be quite disorienting at first. I mean, you get in a car on the left side and expect to find the steering wheel only to find that it is on the "wrong" side of the car.

The real challenge is to remember to turn into the correct lane at intersections.

You can do it! We had a rental for a week and drove all over the island. The island is small and there aren't many roads from one place to another. Just be careful and conscious of the 'wrong-side' driving. Watch out in the round-a-bouts. Traffic can be extremely slow in George Town (like a parking lot).

It gets worse.

First you need to live in the islands for a year and drive on the left.

Next, go back to the States and rent a car.

Here's the test. When you exit the parking lot at the rental agency, which side of the road do you pull out onto? :p

You think driving a car on the wrong side of the road & trying to navigate the roundabouts is hard, try a scooter!! Actually, my husband has done both. I was on the back of the scooter and enjoying every minute of it, but he really had to concentrate. We had the car for a week and really had no problems. You must be a cautious driver, but the roads are easy to navigate. Just watch those roundabouts! Where are you thinking of driving to? There are plenty of taxis.

We thought we would like to drive around the whole island, if possible. Would like to see Rum Point, down by the Blow Holes, Seven Mile Beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, and just stop along the coastline, and enjoy the scenery. I've looked at a few maps online and it does look like it should be pretty easy to drive around, and not get lost. It sounds like George Town gets very congested, so will allow plenty of time to get the car back to the rental place, before getting back on the ship. I've found a rental for approximately $57 for the day. Don't you think it would cost way more than that to have a taxi take you to all the places, and you wouldn't have the freedom of stopping and sightseeing as long as we wanted?

Most certainly, if you want to try to do all those things, you will need a car. But, just my opinion, that's A LOT to try to see in one 6-8 hour day. It took us a week to do all those things.

Also, we took a drive up to Hell. Obviously, you can't have a "bad" adventure on the island, but if I had paid to go on a cruise excursion to Hell, I would have been VERY disappointed! It is a cheesy/huge tourist trap. A sharply rocky plot of ground with cutouts of the devil around it. There are so many other beautiful things to see on the island!

We worried a bit about this the first time we rented a car, but we ended up having no trouble at all. We rented a car that has the steering wheel on the left, so we didn't have to figure out where everything was (on the opposite side).

We also found the residents to be very courteous drivers (I'm sure there are exceptions, but we've never had a problem). Another thing is traffic doesn't move very quickly, so it's not like you're on a highway and have to make decisions while traveling fast.

Take it easy and pay attention to what you're doing and you should be fine. :)

Most certainly, if you want to try to do all those things, you will need a car. But, just my opinion, that's A LOT to try to see in one 6-8 hour day. It took us a week to do all those things.

I agree...especially 'cause some of those things are on opposite sides of the island from each other. For example, taking the "short route" to Rum Point is a 45 minute drive each way from George Town. To see the blow holes, you have to take the longer route or do some backtracking. If you actually want to spend any time at either of those places, expect that part of your day to be 3-4 hours minimum. All the other places you mention are in the opposite direction, so you can't stop at any of them during that time period. You technically could do it all, but you'll be quite rushed.

I'd either rent a car and do Rum Point and the blow holes, maybe Pedro St. James or the Botanical Gardens if there was time, or skip the car rental and take buses or taxis (or a tour) to Hell, Seven Mile Beach and the Turtle Farm. You'll probably enjoy your day a lot more if you've got a little more relaxation built into it... :cool:

• 4 months later...

This is a really last minute question, I am hoping someone can help out with... last minute, because we leave tomorrow on Liberty of the Seas :D

I have read through some great posts here on renting a car in GC. We are there next week, and think this might be a great way to see the island, or part of it at least!

Can anyone please tell me, where would we go, once in GC to rent a car? Are there set-ups at the pier, or do we need to go somewhere in Georgetown? As well, pricing for the day I see is around the $60-$70 - would that include any type of insurance??

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

OOPS, MEANT TO START a new thread...sorry

First did it in St. Thomas. No big deal. Most of the cars are just like at home w/steering wheel on left. Signs remind you to stay to the left. Right turns are a little tricky but you'll catch on quickly. Just follow the other cars.

Archived