Miami South Beach Restaurants

isotope

Why do people always recommend Bubba Gumps?:confused: It is a chain. They sell heavily fried food that is good, but hardly unique.

I agree with Joe's Stone crabs everyone should eat there at least once if they have the oppurtunity. It is not cheap, but you will leave full. Monty's is, also, good for stone crabs, and is actually a nicer restaurant, but it is not Joe's.

I think the Lincoln area would be great for lunch or breakfast. Dinner on Ocean drive can get really pricey. The Clevelander is a great place for snacks and lots and lots of drinks. It usually gets really going on the weekends until very very late!:D

jc

I believe that someone asked for information. I provided it. I know Bubba Gumps in a chain. Unless you live in a state that has one it is different. I like the the whole idea behind the resturant based on the movie. It is moderately priced. All their food is not fried. If you don't eat fried foods all the time it is a treat. I also suggested Shula's. Wonderful food. But expensive. That is my first choice all the time. I have also been to Joe's Stone Crab, Sole, Bongos Cuban Cafe, Mango's Tropical Cafe all great places to eat.

No matter where you eat it's your choice enjoy it.

Porcao- Excellent Brazillian restauant! You won't leave hungry, that's for sure. I've been there a number of times when in town meeting with clients. Very different from anything we have here in MIlwaukee. Really good meats and a huge selection of salad-bar type items. If you want to try something different, this is your place.

Another vote for Bubba Gumps as well. Always a fun place to go, and for us beer drinkers in the crowd, the 44 oz. football shaped glass filled with your favorite cold beverage is a wonderful experience :p (Forrest Gumps jersey number in the movie was 44).

As for on South Beach, we used to like to have lunch at the Official All-Star Cafe, but I hear it's closed now.:( I think we'll have to give Mango's a try!:D

I forgot to put a vote in for Joe's as well. Just keep in mind if anyone reading this is travewling past mid-May, stone crabs are out of season (I don't remember when the season opens again).

Again on Gumps, the nearest one to where we live is in Chicago - 100 miles away. The other nice thing IMHO about the Gump's that we've been to (Miami, Maui, Kona in particular) is the setting. Tropical wether isn't something we enjoy in Milwaukee, and they all have indoor/outdoor dining to offer.

Porcao - can be pricey but is very good.

I'm another one who thinks Bubba Gumps is an over-rated tourist trap. Nothing special. We ate there with a group I'd met on our Brilliance roll call thread, so we went with the masses. Great company, mediocre food that can be had anywhere. Take that from someone who lives over a thousand miles from the nearest salt water.

My personal favourite has to be the Clevelander ~ love the place. The tables are right on the sidewalk, making it a great people-watching place. Not for the meak, but then not much on Ocean Drive is for the meak. ;) Mangos is easy to find, just follow the noise. :D For fine dining, it's hard to beat Monty's in Coconut Grove. Admitedly not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Beth

I'm another one who thinks Bubba Gumps is an over-rated tourist trap. Nothing special. We ate there with a group I'd met on our Brilliance roll call thread, so we went with the masses. Great company, mediocre food that can be had anywhere. Take that from someone who lives over a thousand miles from the nearest salt water.

My personal favourite has to be the Clevelander ~ love the place. The tables are right on the sidewalk, making it a great people-watching place. Not for the meak, but then not much on Ocean Drive is for the meak. ;) Mangos is easy to find, just follow the noise. :D For fine dining, it's hard to beat Monty's in Coconut Grove. Admitedly not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Beth

Great minds think alike!:D Bubba Gumps, is like going to Bahama Breeze, Joes Crab shack, or Rainforest Cafe, they are popping up everywhere and the food is ok and perfect when you are at a mall shopping, and don't want to eat at Chile's, TGIF, Applebee's, etc. When you are on vacation to a unique place like South Beach in Miami, that seems like a waste of a trip. Since SoBe has so many fascinating restaurants that you truly can't find anywhere else on the planet. To each their own. I ate at a Bubba Gumps in Honolulu, we were at a shopping mall. I think that says it all.

jc

No disrespect intended. I just think people fall too easily into the I am familiar with it and it is a well known chain trap. I really think most of the interesting and best food is prepared by independant restaurants. If you are travelling to SoBe and you want to know what is unique in SoBe, I think the recommendation of another chain to be sad. JMHO. Eat what you like where you like and all, but still sad!;) :D

jc

As said, to each his/her own. That's what is so nice about having so many different ideas and opinions to consider from reading these boards, especially when those opinions are respected:) .

Just because someone disagrees with another doesn't mean any disrespect. It's only a difference of opinion. I have to admit a fondness for one-of-a-kind operations and not cookie-cutter chains. So that's what I posted.

Beth

We only have the day of debarkation to see a little of South Beach until our 4pm flight, and would like to have a Cuban lunch. I looked up Bongos but it's in downtown Miami. Does anyone has recommendations for a Cuban restaurant in South Beach that is good for people watching? Thanks!

I'd recommend Larios. It's owned by Gloria Estefan and has a large outdoor area right in the heart of So Beach. Great people-watching spot with Cuban cuisine. The first time I went there, I thought I'd give Cuban coffee a try. Espresso has nothing on this stuff! Liquid battery starter. It will keep you awake for days. :D

Beth

Bankofdad - Interested in hearing about Porcao.

Is it a very noisy restaurant - someone mentioned not being able to carry on a conversation there. Also, what type of items do they have on the buffet?

I think the cost of dinner is $39.90 - is it worth the price?

We are from Canada so when we convert is is about $49 CAD.

Our family is thinkingof going there December 25th or 26th for dinner as we depart on the Summit December 27th.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any other suggestions for December 25/26th dinner would be greatly appreciated. We are staying at Doubletree Grand Biscayne

I'd recommend Larios. It's owned by Gloria Estefan and has a large outdoor area right in the heart of So Beach. Great people-watching spot with Cuban cuisine. The first time I went there, I thought I'd give Cuban coffee a try. Espresso has nothing on this stuff! Liquid battery starter. It will keep you awake for days. :D

Beth

Thanks Beth! Larios sounds just like what I had iin mind. I'll see if I can find their website.

Hi Wongri

I've really enjoyed Porcao very much the times I've gone there. I've been there 4-5 times, and I've always gone there with clients (from Brazil), and never had a problem with being able to carry on a conversation due to the noise level (and I would have noticed because my Portugese is not that good, so I always have to listen very closely).

It has been a little while since I've been there, but it has always been for lunch. There is a very large circular salad bar that is set up with all kinds of vegtable and fruit salads and sides (I don't recall if there were any pasta salad offerings).

The main course(s) are provided by servers that walk from table to bable with various cuts of beef and chicken pieces on swords/skewers. There is a card that is placed on the table, with a picture of a cow showing all of the different cuts of beef and where they come from on the cow. The server will show you which cut he/she is currently offering.

Another card on the table is what you would use if you were ready to try another serving of meat. One side when facing upwards tells your server(s) to stop at your table, the other that you're not ready for another serving yet. I can only speak for what my Brazillian friends have told me, but they say this restauant is about as authentic of a Brazillian steakhouse as you can find in the Miami area.

Also - the restaurant offers a very nice view of the bay from the dining area. I've always had fun there, and hope you do as well if you try it.

Almost forgot - I felt the price was very much worth it for what we were served. They certainly don't skimp on the variety or quantity of food, all of which was very good in quality and preperation.

Hope this helps!

Bankofdad,

Thanks so much for the details of your visit to Porcao.

It sounds like a real dining experience. I will make reservations for one of the three nights we are in Miami - maybe Christmas day as they are open. Should be fun with the family.

You have been a great help in our planning on where to dine!

Cheers,

We have a home in South Beach,was there last week. Some thoughts:

1. Hosteria Romana- on Espanola Way,about 3 blocks from Lincoln Rd. Authentic Italian food,delicious and very reasonable. Casual. Very friendly Italian staff. One of our favs. A fun place.

2. Monty's- Stone crabs and seafood at the marina. Upstairs is more formal,downstairs more casual. Great happy hour and wonderful food. Excellent waitstaff. More reasonable than Joes Stonecrabs and you don't have to wait 3 hours to get in. I like monty's so much I chose it for my birthday.

3. Opa- Greek food, Ocean and First. Delicious food and very reasonable.

4. Cuban- Yucca on Lincoln rd is highly rated,but I have not eaten there. It looks quite nice.

5. Lincoln Rd - lots of choices,may of which are similar. We have enjoyed Tiramesu and Rosinella, bothe reasonable. Have heard Pizza Rustica is very good. My favorite is Touch,but it's on the pricier side.

6. Ocean Drive- lots of options here too, from Johnny Rockets and Fridays to

more elegant choices. We enjoyed Diva at the Betsy Ross hotel.

7. Tululah- Collins and 23rd,northern end of S.B,short walk from Lincoln. Excellent,gourmet food. Chef-owners are highly rated, in fact it's mentioned in this moths Travel and Leisure as one of the 40 hottest new urban restaurants.

Good luck and enjoy!

www.mangostropicalcafe.com

Tell Prescilla I said hi ;)

That place is incredible - Food and drinks are good as well as service. The price isnt that bad either. We had this huge nacho thing I think it was like 12 bucks.

3 of us were there for 3 hours and my c.c. came this month and it was 131 bucks and my friend had another 40 on his - but we all ate and we all drank alot of mixed drinks.

For those going to Mangoes, it has a dress code, I cant remember what it was, I think they didn't allow shorts on guys or something like that. See what the website says or call them direct

Awatt - Our family of five adults will be in Miami December 24 - 27th. We will be staying at the Doubletree Grand Biscayne Hotel.

Do you have any suggestions for dining on those dates?

It looks like most places are closed on the 24th so we will have to find a nice hotel for Christmas eve dinner and lunch.

Thanks for your assistance.

Archived