A few questions re prices/charges

corycruiser

We are cruising on the Golden Princess (Hawaii RT), in a couple days. Seems that things have changed (dramatically) since our last cruise, about 10 years ago, so have a few questions:

Do they charge for coffee and tea now? (read a post refering to a coffee card) I'm not talking about fancy latte's etc, just regular ol' coffee and tea. You used to be able to get both anytime, anywhere, and free.

Same for the ice cream bar? (Is there is a charge now?) If so, does anyone know how much?

The brochure says you cannot bring liquor aboard. Do they search your luggage? Or are they just trying to discourage you from bringing anything aboard? (At $7-$10/drink, we could go broke before the cruise ends).

What is the scoop on the "wine card"?

Any problem getting a lot of additional clothes hangers? I want to hang everything once we get on board (to avoid wrinkles). Do they charge extra for those too?

Any other services/ammenities that used to be included that are now being charged for?

Don't mean to sound like such a cheap-skate but with the economy they way it is, our finances are not what they were 10 months ago, when we signed up for this trip, and we need to budget.

Coffee and tea are free, specialty coffees are a charge. The ice cream bar is a charge but they set up a free one in the buffet area.

Liquor cannot be brought aboard with the exception of wine which they will charge a corkage fee at dinner. People on here will tell you how to sneak it aboard but I will not since I work for a TA. I was on Golden Princess and our cabin had plenty of hangers, I'm sure you could request more if needed.

Wine card..no clue since I don't drink alcohol.

You can only bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine, its not unlimited what you can bring on per the rules on their site.

On the port side of the buffet there was free ice cream you can have about 3 or 4 pm?? Not sure the time, it wasnt in the daily planner thingee, but there it was. Secret? Its wasnt much. bulk vanilla or chocolate and maybe some syrup in a bowl.

Yes, your luggage is xrayed and they are looking for illegal things. No irons etc. If you havent cruised since they started to xray the carry ons and luggage .... it has been a while. If found they will hold it until you get off the ship and give it back unless you put it into another container, if found they dispose of it.

We are cruising on the Golden Princess (Hawaii RT), in a couple days. Seems that things have changed (dramatically) since our last cruise, about 10 years ago, so have a few questions:

Do they charge for coffee and tea now? (read a post refering to a coffee card) I'm not talking about fancy latte's etc, just regular ol' coffee and tea. You used to be able to get both anytime, anywhere, and free.

Same for the ice cream bar? (Is there is a charge now?) If so, does anyone know how much?

The brochure says you cannot bring liquor aboard. Do they search your luggage? Or are they just trying to discourage you from bringing anything aboard? (At $7-$10/drink, we could go broke before the cruise ends).

What is the scoop on the "wine card"?

Any problem getting a lot of additional clothes hangers? I want to hang everything once we get on board (to avoid wrinkles). Do they charge extra for those too?

Any other services/ammenities that used to be included that are now being charged for?

Don't mean to sound like such a cheap-skate but with the economy they way it is, our finances are not what they were 10 months ago, when we signed up for this trip, and we need to budget.

If you do bring on your own wine, bring a wine opener and open the wine in your cabin. You can definitely get wine glasses from any bar and they have refrigerators in the cabins (going on the same ship over Xmas/NY). That way, you won't be charged that outrageous corkage fee for a bottle of wine that will more than likely cost less than their fee! We do it and so do others; nothing wrong with that! Also, I also bring along extra wire hangers - just put them in a plastic bag in your suitcase. They hardly take up any room at all. I usually take along a dozen or so.

We just got off the Emerald Princess. Coffee and tea are available for free but for me, the coffee is not drinkable. Upon embarkation, I purchased the coffee card and Princess mug for $30. DH and I were able to get wonderful unlimited brewed coffee in addition to the 15 specialty coffees that are included with the card. I have punches left on my card and will use it on my next Princess cruise. To me it was worth the extra cost.

The ice cream bar is extra and they offer an ice cream card but I don't know what the cost is. I heard they offered free ice cream 3:30-4:30 in the Horizon Court but I didn't indulge.

I didn't hear of anyone's bags being searched or liquor confiscated upon embarkation. Ours weren't. We each carried on a bottle of wine in our carryons. The rest of our alcohol (beer, wine, and liquers, etc.) went into checked luggage. We also purchased wine, beer and some rum in ports and were able to carry it on in a backpack with no problem. For a couple of ports there was a table set up to check liquor, probably for those who wanted to check it or who openly carried it on, e.g., in liquor boxes, etc.

I saw many people carry glasses of wine and drinks into dinner. We only did that on the last night because we had some left in the cabin. You can ask your cabin steward for wine glasses or get them from a bar. Recommend you bring your own cork screw.

I didn't hear anything about a wine card and don't think there is such a thing.

We did the R/T Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess in April 07. It was fabulous. Most everything I mentioned above applied then, except I didn't purchase the coffee card which I now know was a mistake.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

corycruiser

You can purchase a Coffee Card.

You get 15 Specialty coffee (they punch the card each time you use it) You also get unlimited BREWED coffee.

Ice Cream is free during 3:30-4:30 on Lido deck.

IC is also available every night on the menu.

If you choose to, you can spend extra for things like ice cream at the ice cream stand.

You may bring wine on board just not heavy liquor.

There are plenty of hangers in your stateroom. If you need extra just ask your CS.

The good thing about the extra charge items is that you can take them or leave them.

It's totally up to you what extra you spend onboard.

Archived