Follow-up on Cancelled Sept. 10 Summit

strawhat

Hello everyone.

My wife and I were scheduled to cruise on the September 10th sailing of the Summit. The cruise was cancelled due to propulsion problems and, because of the Florida hurricanes and this problem, it was difficult to get in touch with Celebrity on the phone. When we did get in touch we were told that we would receive a full refund (we did) and a free future cruise.

When the cruise was cancelled we called and called to try to rebook something around the same time. The lines were busy all the time. We live outside the United States and specifically traveled to the US to visit family on the way to Vancouver where we were to cruise from. I explained to Celebrity that our time in the US was limited as was our budget. We had booked a baysitter for the nine days we were to be away on the cruise and we had no plans (hotel, car, itinerary) for what to do in Vancouver. We had no more money to spend on a "non cruise" trip and we would appreciate any help they could give us, but everything was booked and they could not get us on another ship in the timeframe we had.

I am back at home now and have still not received any information from Celebrity regarding a future cruise offer. I did not know my money had been refunded until I called my credit card company and the only notice I have received of the cancellation was an e-mail that I received five days before the cruise was scheduled to embark. I actually found out that the cruise was cancelled on this board and found all the phone numbers and information from the kind posters on this board - thanks.

Have others who were booked on this cruise heard anything from Celebrity? Is there something I should be doing? Who should I write or speak to? I cannot access toll free numbers from where I live without paying long distance charges and, with the amount of hold time I had at the time of the cancellation and paying over US$2/minute for a phone call, I would rather not sit on hold for an hour. We would like to reschedule another Alaska cruise and, if they are offering a free one, we will arrange another trip butthe lack of communication is amazing.

Please help!

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi strawhat,

we are in the same position. We still don't have any informations about our free cruise. After a couple of emails to our TA we now have the certificate number but we don't know what its worth. No replies on our emails to CCL...

Do you have further information on that free cruise?

cu

jjduke

Thank you Ma Bell for this very helpful answer!

As you mentioned thats the way it should work...

My TA is located in Canada, I live in Germany.

My TA always tells me that he still has no information about the free cruise

and that he is in trouble with CCL (I don't know why). He said that I am not entitled to have a totally free cruise in the same category as I had originally booked. I have to book a new cruise for its regular price and CCL subtract the same amount I originally paid for the September 10th sailing. In my eyes that is not a free cruise and I can't believe that.

An other thing is that this "free cruise" is only good for 2005 and some of the cruises we are interrested in are already sold out for the category like to have. Therefore I asked strawhat if they have new informations.

cu

jjduke

Archived