Chocolate melting Cake

cruizinonup

Tried this a few cruises ago and it was simply an awful gooey mess. This past cruise several ladies at our table ordered it just about every night and had mixed results. I relented and gave it another try one evening and found that if is baked properly(?) it is a respectable dessert. It seems that the trick to this is to bake it long enough for a cake like texture to actuallty develop and the kitchen seems to be very inconsistent in doing this.

Tried this a few cruises ago and it was simply an awful gooey mess. This past cruise several ladies at our table ordered it just about every night and had mixed results. I relented and gave it another try one evening and found that if is baked properly(?) it is a respectable dessert. It seems that the trick to this is to bake it long enough for a cake like texture to actuallty develop and the kitchen seems to be very inconsistent in doing this.

Thats the things though, if a cake like texture develops, its overcooked.

It's supposed to appear to be undercooked slightly.....

I just love the choc. melting cake!!!! I had one every night in the dining room until it got to the point they didn't even ask me what i wanted for dessert!! They just brought it!! Can't wait until Feb 7th for my next one!!!!

Same here

I had a standing order every night. melting cake and a cappucino. :)

HOW SWEET IT IS !!!!!!!! *LOL*

I'm glad someone finally posted a picture and description of this cake. Now I see they are probably the same as molten chocolate cake! Absolutely fabulous when I've made these at home. I'm looking forward to these on board!! Hope they are as good as the homemade ones.

Thats the things though, if a cake like texture develops, its overcooked.

It's supposed to appear to be undercooked slightly.....

I get the idea of an undercooked center but shouldn't these have a somewhat baked cake like texture around the sides and top with the center comprising the melting component of this dessert. "Undercooked slightly" is the key, several times the ladies at our table had ones that barely had a top crust and were just filled with a viscous chocolate goo which is the way mine was the only other time I tried one of these. Perhaps my idea of what these should be like is not correct but I think I will just pass on these in the future, to those of you that like these I hope you continue to enjoy them.

I'm glad someone finally posted a picture and description of this cake. Now I see they are probably the same as molten chocolate cake! Absolutely fabulous when I've made these at home. I'm looking forward to these on board!! Hope they are as good as the homemade ones.

Do you have a recipe for it, I would to try to make it?

The quality of the cake seems to be hit or miss. We had a few that were really good/fresh, and a few that were not that impressive. This was on the Inspiration in May 2008. Getting food items right all the time is quite a challenge so we made sure they had plenty of opportunities to get it right.

As a kid I used to love to eat raw cake batter. Whatever was left in the bowl, I would take a spoon and scrape it all up. Yummy. The warm chocolate melting cake kind of reminds of that, but warm. It's gooey and gloppy and oh so yummy with the vanilla ice cream.

Do you have a recipe for it, I would to try to make it?

I do: http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/recipe.aspx?id=1066

Here's the very short video showing how:

http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/videos/softcenter.html

It's all in the mixing of the eggs and that one spoonful of flour!

I used tea cups (because I didn't have ramekins) and a different brand of GOOD chocolate. Because the tea cups were taller and thinner than a ramekin, they were more cooked than should have been and less "molten" center. Still fabulous! I had two left over, which continued to "cook" all the way though....refrigerated and eaten later, they were the best, moistest brownie of all time!

A decadent delight, impressive results that were really easy to make.

Enjoy!

PS I used a hand mixer that worked just as well. Also make sure the melted chocolate is sufficiently cooled before adding it to the eggs mixture, or you'll have scrambled eggs!

I do: http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/recipe.aspx?id=1066

Here's the very short video showing how:

http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/videos/softcenter.html

It's all in the mixing of the eggs and that one spoonful of flour!

I used tea cups (because I didn't have ramekins) and a different brand of GOOD chocolate. Because the tea cups were taller and thinner than a ramekin, they were more cooked than should have been and less "molten" center. Still fabulous! I had two left over, which continued to "cook" all the way though....refrigerated and eaten later, they were the best, moistest brownie of all time!

A decadent delight, impressive results that were really easy to make.

Enjoy!

PS I used a hand mixer that worked just as well. Also make sure the melted chocolate is sufficiently cooled before adding it to the eggs mixture, or you'll have scrambled eggs!

Thank you I will try it.

Archived