Live from the Sapphire: Nov 29-Dec 6th!

gargoyle999

Ok...I'm not live from the Sapphire yet. But I will be in two days. And my trip to get there has started so thought I'll just start my thread early! :D

Currently in Salt Lake City. Flight from Minneapolis to here was without any issue big or small so, so far so good! Flights are with Delta but actually Skywest on a Canadair CRJ-900. Not a very big jet and the overhead space isn't very big. But my carry-on fit in ok and DW's fit under the seat. There was several more inches of leg room than I'm used to since I've normally flown Northwest. The seats are tight on NW and I'm only 5'9"! Several empty seats and the airport in MSP and here is not ver busy at all.

Anyway, got a day pass for the Delta lounge here and a day pass for the T-Mobile Hotspot so I could get online and here I am! :)

We have an almost 5 hour layover then it's on to Long Beach. Staying at the Crowne Plaza. Once we get our car rental I want to stop somewhere for soda and snacks.

Going to just eat in the Crown Plaza Restraunt for dinner tonight since we got up at 3am Central time and our flight doesn't get into Long Beach until 3:45pm Pacific. Could be 6pm local time by the time we get to the hotel and we will be tired. So just want something easy.

I checked to make sure they would be open today and when I asked about it here it sounded like an ok place to eat.

Tomorrow is Disneyland!

We're right behind you...leaving a week from tomorrow and board the Sapphire on the 6th. We booked this cruise about 10 months ago and seeing your post reminds IT'S ALMOST HERE! Enjoy Disneyland and your cruise. Look forward to your posts during the week!

I'm heading out tomorrow for the Nov 29th Sapphire. I'll be driving from Arizona to San Pedro and will be staying at the Doubletree, San Pedro. I hope the rest of your flight out to California went smoothly. Enjoy Disneyland tomorrow and see you on the Sapphire!

The flight from Salt Lake City to Long beach went ok. I was worried when we boarded the plane. There was a screeching lap baby behind DW (also kicking her seat) and some sort of teen girl sports team in about 12 seats. We had to kick one out of our seat who was trying to sit by her friends! :) But everyone settled down after take off so it was ok.

A little bit of a problem once we got off the plane. One of our four checked bags was MIA! I went around following everyone who just got their luggage to make sure no one took it by mistake, no luck. I was sure someone must have taken it cause how would 3 bags make it and one not!

Then go to the Delta Connections desk and no one is there and the lights are off...I was worried. The missing bag had my snorkel, mask, fins and most of the shirts and clothes I'm going to wear on board. Thought I might have to wear my tux every night since we at least had that in our garment bag. :D

Finally after about 15 minutes someone shows up at the desk, luckily it was just misplaced and is coming from Salt Lake City in the morning. We'll be at Dinsneyland all day so I arranged with the front desk to hold the bag once it gets delivered.

Our room at the Crown Plaza is nice, got it via Priceline. Hotel lobby and hallways are clean. Have a king bed, nice room with a chair and foot stool, a desk and a dresser. Bathroom is clean, plus it has one of those shower rods that curves out! Ok that seems like a dumb thing to mention but it's one of those things that I like when I'm in a hotel room.

Check in was easy and the desk clerk was friendly and efficient at getting me checked in. They have a parking ramp with complimentary self parking, or valet for $10 per entry. We chose self parking. :)

One small issue is that the restaurant was closed after 3:30pm! Before our trip DW called to ask if it would be open, and I sent an email and both of us were told it would be open. We were able to get room service though for only an extra 20% service charge, plus $3 fee, plus tip... :rolleyes:

But we were tired and hungry and didn't feel like trying to find someplace open on Thanksgiving night. Now we are tired and full! :D

One other thing about the CP. I thought I had read people post that they signed up for the shuttle to the cruise port. But when I inquired about that they just said it is first come first served.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I plan on being in line for the 10:30 shuttle though! :D But just wanted to explain how it works here.

I also booked the CP through PL - I'll be arriving around 5-6 p.m. tomorrow night -depending on what time I get out of here. I am meeting my friends for dinner - they are staying at a different hotel.

I'll be leaving my car at the Port - a little cheaper than parking at the CP for the 7-days.

See you on board.

Tom

I also booked the CP through PL - I'll be arriving around 5-6 p.m. tomorrow night -depending on what time I get out of here. I am meeting my friends for dinner - they are staying at a different hotel.

I'll be leaving my car at the Port - a little cheaper than parking at the CP for the 7-days.

See you on board.

Tom

I'm really happy with CP. Nice room for a good rate through Priceline. We will return our rental after we are done with Disneyland tomorrow so no parking worries for us. Though we are not lucky enough to be able to drive to our cruise like SOME people! :D

Also saw the the Grinder Restaurant as we arrived. We are going to go there for breakfast sometime Saturday since it's so close, plus they have a coupon on their website, buy one get one free breakfast.. :)

Andrew,

My friend Joe (who I have known since our college and drinking days) & I are going to use the two-for-one coupon on Saturday - leisurely breakfast and catch-up a little. After breakfast, he will wake-up his wife with a fresh cup of coffee (from somewhere) - she is NOT an early riser.

I plan on driving over to the cruise terminal around Noon.

Tom

Well, today started out a bit cool and cloudy. So it was a bit chilly this morning when we got to Disneyland. I was just wearing a tee shirt and shorts, and just kept telling myself I'm from Minnesota and it's not really THAT cold! But eventually the sun came out and it was really nice. Not too hot, humid, etc. Very nice day.

I was surprised that it never really got very busy. I expected it to be jam packed since it was the day after Thanksgiving, not that I would really have any idea, never having been there before. But it never got really busy. Though maybe crowds build later in the afternoon and evening?

The longest wait for us was an hour for the Tower of Terror. DW hated that ride. I thought it was fun, but not worth an hour wait. Otherwise we used the fastpass a few times and other rides just had a wait of 5-10 minutes. I had planned to be there until about 8pm. But there was so little waiting we were done by 3pm.

I think I liked Indiana Jones the best. Next was the Maliboomer. DW wouldn't go on it so I went through the single rider line 4 times in a row with only a minute or two wait each time!

Returned the rental car at the Long Beach Airport. Took a cab back to the CP. Fare was $52.50 which was more than the two day car rental I got via Priceline! But it was easy enough. The cab stand is right by the car rental return.

Delta brought my missing luggage today and left it at the front desk! So we are all set for tomorrow morning!

Tonight we walked to the Green Onion which is a 30 second walk from the CP. Wasn't too busy. Food was good and the close location was nice. One thing I thought was odd was that they were playing 50's music! That certainly did not impact how my food tasted, it's just an observation.

So tonight we will just relax in the hotel room. Tomorrow is the big day!

Well, today started out a bit cool and cloudy. So it was a bit chilly this morning when we got to Disneyland. I was just wearing a tee shirt and shorts, and just kept telling myself I'm from Minnesota and it's not really THAT cold! But eventually the sun came out and it was really nice. Not too hot, humid, etc. Very nice day.

I was surprised that it never really got very busy. I expected it to be jam packed since it was the day after Thanksgiving, not that I would really have any idea, never having been there before. But it never got really busy. Though maybe crowds build later in the afternoon and evening?

The longest wait for us was an hour for the Tower of Terror. DW hated that ride. I thought it was fun, but not worth an hour wait. Otherwise we used the fastpass a few times and other rides just had a wait of 5-10 minutes. I had planned to be there until about 8pm. But there was so little waiting we were done by 3pm.

I think I liked Indiana Jones the best. Next was the Maliboomer. DW wouldn't go on it so I went through the single rider line 4 times in a row with only a minute or two wait each time!

Returned the rental car at the Long Beach Airport. Took a cab back to the CP. Fare was $52.50 which was more than the two day car rental I got via Priceline! But it was easy enough. The cab stand is right by the car rental return.

Delta brought my missing luggage today and left it at the front desk! So we are all set for tomorrow morning!

Tonight we walked to the Green Onion which is a 30 second walk from the CP. Wasn't too busy. Food was good and the close location was nice. One thing I thought was odd was that they were playing 50's music! That certainly did not impact how my food tasted, it's just an observation.

So tonight we will just relax in the hotel room. Tomorrow is the big day!

Thanks for the update. Have a fantastic cruise and keep posting if you can. It is fun to live vicariously through your report....until our turn in January!

I'm enjoying reading every detail in your reports. :) Looking forward to more reports as you go along. Know you are having a wonderful time. It is hard to believe that Disneyland wasn't crowded the day after Thanksgiving. Wonder if the park is feeling the economy pinch.:confused:

About ready to leave for breakfast at Grinder. Then we will head to the lobby around 10am to get in line for the shuttle!

Only a few more hours and I'll be on board!

BTW...I slept from about 8:30pm until 7am today. I LOVE being on vacation. That's almost more sleep then I get in 3 nights at home! :) Our bed at the CP is very comfortable! :D

The web cam shows her not there yet, but it hasn't been updated in a while, so it's probably behind. Glad she's there. Have a good cruise.

The webcam picture is correct and shows the Sapphire berthed at the Port of Los Angeles but the wording on top is incorrect. Same thing happened with the Ruby this past week. DS and his girlfriend were on her. A couple of days the picture was correct but wording wasn't. :confused:

The webcam picture is correct and shows the Sapphire berthed at the Port of Los Angeles but the wording on top is incorrect. Same thing happened with the Ruby this past week. DS and his girlfriend were on her. A couple of days the picture was correct but wording wasn't. :confused:

Strange!

Archived