Winter sailings 2009?

It looks as though Celebration is in the Red Sea over the winter season 2009/10 but where are the other Thomson ships and which ones are in service over the winter?

From the 'Where can I sail?' on the Thomson site, the Island Escape is going from the summer base in Palma to the Canaries on 27/10/09. Does this mean it will stay in the Canaries for the winter - or is it a preliminary to going over to the Caribbean as Destiny is doing this year? And where is the Destiny?

I would have thought that at the least they'll have three ships in service, one each in the Red Sea, Canaries and Caribbean and perhaps even more - unless sales this year make them review which ships/itineraries to retain over the winter.

What do you guys think - or do you know anything for sure?

Only thing I know at the moment is that the Destiny is in Gibraltar drydock and her next port of call is listed as Lisbon.

There's no date of arrival at Lisbon for her so I'm hoping she'll be on time ready for departure on the 7 Dec.

I read an announcement from Thomson somewhere that the rest of the winter 2009/10 cruises will go on sale some date (can't remember exactly) in December. Island Escape will be in the Canaries and Destiny back in the Caribbean as this winter. Celebration in the Red Sea and already on sale. Don't know why it went on sale before the others.

Hi

According to the letter that we received from Thomson with our voucher for the cancelled Celebration Cruise, the winter 2009-2010 will be released on 18th December.

They say that Celebration will be in the Red Sea, Destiny in the Caribbean and Island Escape in the Canaries - have misgivings about that. Still hoping for a positive review of Destiny when it does its first Caribbean next month - does anyone know if there is any interior sprucing up going on as well as her bottom scrape?

Sandie

Still hoping for a positive review of Destiny when it does its first Caribbean next month - does anyone know if there is any interior sprucing up going on as well as her bottom scrape?

Sandie

Hi Sandie,

The forthcoming Tropical Transatlantic cruise will be our second time on the Destiny and I can assure you that had our first time been a waste we would not have booked to go on her again. She was originally built for cruising the caribbean so that should tell you something.

The trouble with forums is the amount of information from many many contributors, which, dependant on how you read them can biase a way of thinking and put doubt into one's mind. I think a good rule of thumb would be to read between the lines, convince yourself you will have a good time and sod 'em all ;)

There is one Thomson ship we'll not sail on again as we did not like certain aspects of it, however she does have a following who prefer her as their favourite. "Each unto his own" I think the quote is ?

I personally think you'll enjoy the Destiny.

Sandie,

I found this link to the Destiny when she was the Song of America way back when :)

The video is someone's memory of their time on her. The layout of the ship is pretty much the same today as it was then except for furnishings etc.

Strange to think that at one time she was the 3rd largest cruise ship !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Mh_3JreOY

Hope this helps you ;)

Archived