Shuttle buses

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me whether Thomson provide shuttle buses from the port to the town centres? I am on the Tropical Transatlantic next Sunday, departing Lisbon, for Madeira, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua, Tortola and Dom Rep.:)

I presume that most of the Caribbean islands will be walkable, as they can't be that far a distance from the ship's berth, but was wondering about Lisbon, Madeira and Barbados in particular, as we will be doing our "own thing there", and not on an organised trip.

Thank you,

Regards,

Bella36.

There are 3 ships scheduled for Funchal on the 9th, Costa Marina, Balmoral and Destiny. As the Destiny arrives last (9.00 am) it might end up in the end birth on the jetty, in which case you will have at least a 1 1/2 mile walk to the town centre.:(

When we were in Madeira in February the taxis were plentiful and charged a set fare of 5 euros to the town.. Dominica and Antigua we just walked into the local shopping area....Barbados looked a bit further (we just flew home from there so didn't go anywhere!) but taxis were within a walkable distance.

From the deck you can see the sweep of the waterfront/bay. You can't get it wrong here. It's a lovely setting and especially the late sail-away is magical. (If you're lucky enugh to be there in the run up to Christmas apparently the lights are a famous attraction too.)

Once exiting the port, turn right and just walk along the waterfront to the centre - but as previously described, it is a fair walk (but level) - perhaps 40 minutes to the cable car for example. The HoHo stop is perhaps only two thirds of the way to the cable car - but buy your ticket from the kiosk before queuing to get on the bus.

It's a lovely port of call. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Kruz. Although we've been there before we never bothered going ashore but I think we ought to this time seeing as we'll be onboard for 6 days.

Have got this image in my mind of a thousand or so passengers walking wibbly wobbly down the gangway onto solid ground at Barbados, I'll blame the rum punches :D

Thank you very much for the info everyone.:)

Swerve - only six days to go now! I was looking at the Caribbean webcams yesterday and it was between 27-30 degrees, depending on which island.:D

Hope the Destiny's mini refit is going well and she will be ready for us all next Sunday!

I've had "orders" to stop counting down to Sunday, summat about I've been doing it since I booked in November 2007 :D. Aye it's been a long long wait and we're going to enjoy it all the more !

I've promised to be a good boy and not say anything for the next few days, tonight I began sorting out what to take. Next best thing :D

Had to phone Thomsons this morning as the tickets hadn't arrived, I was aware they'd had technical problems. No problemo though, tickets will be waiting at the Thomsons desk.

I've been following the weather as well and from what I understand there may be slight swells between Lisbon and Madeira but the crossing to Barbados should be calm and getting hotter by the day. I ain't Derek the Weatherman but that's my interpretation :o

Have a good 'un !

I did a transatlantic last year on another line and the only bad weather we got was the day after Madeira. It was a month earlier than you guys and the weather was fantastic when we arrived in the Caribbean. When we went to the Caribbean for a Christmas break a couple of years ago it was amazing, not a storm in sight.

Have a great time, I expect a review when you get back :D

The packing is laid out on the bed in the guest room. Still huge decisions on which shoes to take! I only have about 50 pairs to choose from! I must take some that I can walk in after a few Rum Punches though!:D

Have you noticed that SwissLe, Swerve and myself are all living in Cardiff?

Didn't "the boys" do well last Saturday?:D Rugby - for the non - Welsh reading this!

I will do a review after we return. May be after Christmas though! That's a thought - will they have Christmas decorations onboard?

Have you noticed that SwissLe, Swerve and myself are all living in Cardiff?

Shhhhhhhh, they'll all want to live here ;)

Didn't "the boys" do well last Saturday?:D Rugby - for the non - Welsh reading this!

Oh yesssssssssssssssssssssssss :D

Archived