Anyone had to use Insurance

sbnuggie

Good question - though I don't have an answer for you..

Anyone?

Tom

Could be those that could not pay or have enough credit are still their trying to figure out how to pay. I don’t think I would travel overseas without about 20K of credit.

Could be those that could not pay or have enough credit are still their trying to figure out how to pay. I don’t think I would travel overseas without about 20K of credit.

I have been on enough Carnival cruises to know that there are PLENTY of people who manage to put down a couple of hundred (cash) on their S&S account - some because they don't have any credit to speak of. On debarkation mornings there are (almost) always a few people being called because they maxed out whatever means they backed their S&S cards with.

Imagine someone - let's take the cast example in St. Maarten - who finds themselves faced with a $5,000 bill that they have NO WAY to pay. WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM ?? It's not like they can work it off washing out bedpans!

You would think, with all these tales of people who DID have the $ (and insurance) to take care of things ---- someone here must have a story of somebody they know which can address this question.

For the record, I would say that the first twenty something cruises we sailed on were WITHOUT insurance. I have read enough horror stories over the years here on CC that I would not feel comfortable sailing without it. You can typically get coverage for anywhere from $50 to $200 (depending on a few factors) which is indeed a small price to pay when you look at what you MIGHT be faced with!

Tom

Note to self- take an extra credit card.

Excellent note to self. I don't know what we would have done if I didn't have an extra emergency only CC with a $10,000 limit on hand. If you saw my earlier post about my hubby's heart attack, we did have to pay upfront over $4000 to Carnival, over $5000 to Cayman Islands hospital, $600 flights for the kids from Grand Cayman to Miami, then all the costs while in Miami when he was in the hospital there (spent a week with hotel, meals, transportation, RX's, etc.) All of this was fully reimbursed later, between our regular health ins and the travel ins., but I did wonder what would happen if people did not have that (funds to pay up front costs). I never thought to ask at the time though.

Archived