Does ship's time change in Cozumel

Crewzer33

I've done 4 Caribbean sailings and we always stayed on ship's time. Just be careful...on our last cruise...many of us noticed our cell phones and some watches...automatically switched to Cozumel time. So you might look at your watch/cell phone thinking it is one "ship time" and it is actually an hour behind ship time. The ship will leave without you ;).

If your ship is on Eastern time, it stays on Eastern time the entire trip. I always adjust my watch to ships time the moment I get on. Then I don't have to even think about it.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect information!!! :(

The time change thing is purely a decision of the Captain. So there is no accurate answer. You may have never changed times, but, then you will find the occasional captain who does adjust the ship's clocks

This is correct. It is entirely up to the Captain if the ship will change it's time from Eastern Standard Time (or what ever time your ship started the cruise on). You will need to pay attention to the Cruise Compass, your wait staff, Captain's daily announcements, etc to know for sure if your ship will change times (and when) to coordinate w/ port times.......

Bruce

As some folks have already indicated, it can vary from ship to ship and probably is a decision made by the captain. We have been on many cruises where we changed our clocks to adjust to local times, sometimes several times during a cruise. However, when we were in Cozumel on Freedom of the Seas, two years ago, we did not change our clocks and local time and ship's time were one hour different. If you pay attention to the notices that appear in the Cruise Compass and the information that your wait staff will provide you about time changes, you will be in good shape.

The time change thing is purely a decision of the Captain. So there is no accurate answer. You may have never changed times, but, then you will find the occasional captain who does adjust the ship's clocks

Agree, seen it both ways in different time zones, change for each zone and stay on ships time. Most captains I have sailed with stayed with single ship time...

We were instructed on our first night last week to "turn back our clocks" one hour. We were on the Independence with ports being Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We were instructed at dinner after Cozumel that the clocks now would be moved ahead one hour.

Thanks everybody for your input. I decided to arrange our excursion earlier than later to avoid the time issue. The tour company did claim to look up our ship and she stated that they do change to Cozumel time, but I wanted to ask the cruise critic experts. Thanks again everybody!

I believe it is the Captain's disgression. We have been to Cozumel on cruises six times and only this last time on the Navigator (11/29) were we told to stay on ship's time and not adjust our clocks. So when we arrived in port at 7:00 AM ships time, it was 6:00 Cozumel time.

"MY WORST DAY ON A CRUISE IS STILL

BETTER THAN MY BEST DAY AT THE OFFICE!"

Archived