Possible 2 days in Alexandria 3/29/09 & Egyptian history resources

Journeyer

Hi All,

I am awed by all the knowledge, fun, adventure and experiences shared here!

I am researching possible cruise trips for my parents (in their 80s) & me next year. One candidate is on the Norwegian Jewel starting 3/29/09 which includes 2 days in Alexandria. However in looking up average temps it seems on the cold side (in the 50's--we're from CA!). Has anyone experienced Egypt in March?

We'd love to go into Cairo to see the pyramids and perhaps a camel ride (at least I would). My folks are adventurous, we urban backpacked it in Europe in their 60's and my mom tried out the rock climbing wall on a cruise in her late 70's (and made it 2/3 the way up!). However they have slowed down recently and want to get in another cruise while they're still mobile. They can walk on their own (though slowly on less good days). When traveling their cane seats have been great, if we have to wait for anything they just pop the seat down and sit.

It works well if they can go at their own pace, able to rest along the way, so I'm looking into a private tour where we can have an informative guide who can pull right up to an area so it's not so far for my folks to walk. (My dad does sometimes give tours of the Veterans Home of CA where they live so he has the ability to walk some distances, but I'd like to arrange things so he has the choice to conserve his energy if he needs to. A lot of stairs tend to be challenging for him.) Also we can limit what we see so the day isn't too long. And since I love time to take in the sights and learn things in depth, the slower pace is great for us all.

They're fine with sitting and resting in a comfortable spot while I go up anything with lots of steps or walking, esp. if my mom has a great people-watching vantage point. My dad loves to take videos to record our visits. Often when I rejoin them they've made lots of friends and my dad's learned of a good place to eat (he really enjoys food--one of the reasons we plan to cruise!).

I'd appreciate hearing experiences/feedback that could help us decide if this is a reasonable possibility for us given the time of year and short visit time. Actually I think it would be ideal for us to visit the pyramids & return to the ship for the night. That way my dad could rest the next day at his leisure if he wanted without having to travel back. Also if anyone has experience with Quest Travel or Seven Wonders Travel (or other companies that really honor and share the Egyptian culture), I'd love to hear about it.

While starting to look into this I've already come across some great resources I'd like to share for anyone else researching the area. I'm very interested in the history and spiritual aspects of Egypt so look for good, in-depth, informative sites.

"Experience Egypt" is a collaboration of the Egyptian government and IBM with an interactive, multimedia experience of Egyptian cultural artifacts, places and history. Because of the long download times I haven't taken advantage of their multimedia center yet, but it offers virtual environments, 3-D and 360 degree views, animations and zoomable pictures, including a 3-D reconstruction of Tutankhamun's tomb at discovery. You can even save your own virtual collection of artifacts to access later--including by mobile device.

The Official Website for Dr. Zahi Hawass, the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, has great behind-the-scenes info. A lively interview with him was recommended in a CC post but I can't find it again so I can't thank or credit the person properly, but it's a fun show.

Quest Travel's Resource page leads to an incredible series of links of what look to be top-quality sites, including history, maps, historic places, gods and goddesses of Egypt and an Egypt glossary of terms. It includes National Geographic's site on "Egypt: Secrets of an Ancient World" with an interactive adventure of the pyramids.

I'd welcome other in-depth resources you've found helpful.

Thank you!

Sandie

Sorry, I just re-checked and the temps avg more like low 60's March to April. It was Barcelona, Rome, Athens and Izmir that were in the 50's. (I couldn't edit the post again because of a time limit.) Still curious how visiting the pyramids might be during that time. Thanks!

Hello Journeyer, and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!!:)

We did an overnight tour to Cairo from Alexandria with De Castro tours and had a fantastic time! We had an awesome guide named Dahlia.

The advantage of private tours is that you can tailor the itineray and speed to your requirements. If you can share with others on your roll call you can reduce the costs too. All the sites at Giza are quite easily accessible without climbing many steps. I have more details in my review (link in my signature below).

I have not had any experience of Quest Travel or Seven Wonders travel so I can't help here. Maybe others can help you.

As for temperatures, all I know is that when we were there in late September it was very very hot, and the airconditioned van was very welcome!

Happy planning,

Aussiecruzer.

Hi Sandie,

Your parents sound like real troopers; mine are the same way (82 and 76 and I have lost count of how many trips and cruises they have taken).

I think March will be perfect weather. Any later in the year and the heat can be brutal. I was in Egypt for 2 weeks in February and the weather was a little cool at night but could still get warm during the day. Of course, you will stay in northern Egypt so it may still be a bit chilly in the evening and morning.

My two suggestions would be:

1) Definitely book a private tour. You will have a completely different experience and for your parents I think it would be much easier.

2) I would rethink your idea of going back to the ship at night. The drive is a long 3 hours and I think it would be more restful for your parents to get to a nice hotel where they can relax than to be heading back late in the evening. You can then spread several activities across the 2 days.

There are several other "low stress" activities that you might consider (and your parents might enjoy), such as a sail on a fellucca on the Nile -- it is beautiful either at sunrise or sunset. Also, a visit to a quiet mosque such as Ibn Tulun I found to be very peaceful and more enjoyable than the busy Alabaster mosque at the Citadel.

Feel free to ask any and all questions here. We just love talking about Egypt!

:)We did Pt.Said to Alexandria overnight with 90 cruise critic passengers with NIle Blue and it was great...You must make it an overnight excursion no matter whom you pick ..the bus ride is long and after a while sand is no longer scenery if you know what I mean..It might be different however, being in Alexandria for the 2days,,I will be in ALexandria for 2 days in Feb and will forego an overnight this time..I will do the Mosque and the Library and stay onboard while most of the passengers will be off to the pyramids..If your parents are as outgoing as they seem please tell them to take a camel ride at Giza..One can ride or 2 on a camel but make sure the camel has 2 strirrups it does make a difference ..A camel gets up off the sand in 2movements...1 on his knees then the 2nd up on his feet and without the stirrups my DH had quite a time of it...It truly was the most memorable thing I have ever done and I think about it all the time..This was the best cruise I ever took and as you can tell I am redoing some of those very same ports again..

Thanks for sharing all these resources and tips...I'm so glad I found Cruise Critic.

Aussiecruzer, thank you for the welcome here! Glad to hear the sites at Giza are accessible without many steps...first-hand experience is so valuable. Appreciate your pointing out your links to your reviews...you've shared a lot of valuable info. I'm making a note on Dahlia of De Castro tours for Egypt and Nejat Incedogan for Ephesus and the Syntagma station in Athens with the changing of the guard nearby. Oh boy--this trip is getting more fun by the minute :)

Sekhmet, those are great sites, thank you! There are a lot of travel tips on the Tour Egypt! site.

Hi Cruisemom42, yes my folks are troupers just like yours. I'm so lucky we're able to travel together. So great to hear March weather in Egypt should be good. Thank you for the low stress activities suggestions, they sound really appealing, especially the fellucca sail on the Nile...how incredible would it be to experience the pyramids, camels and Nile during our brief visit? If you have any tips on choosing a fellucca sail, I'd love to hear it. (I know I'd be arranging it through a tour company but the more I learn the better I can evaluate options with the organizer.)

Appreciate your urgings on the overnight, Cruisemom42 and Kruzin'. What you say makes a lot of sense. I love how you put it, "after a while sand is no longer scenery if you know what I mean"! :D

You really inspire me with your experience riding a camel. I wasn't sure about the safety of it--the thing I fear most is one of them falling--but I definitely need to look into that for us. I really get the sense this could be the trip of a lifetime that they want. Both have said they don't know how much longer they'll be able to do things like this. It's why my dad wants to go to Europe this time. Later when he's less mobile we can do a Mexican or Pacific Coast cruise or another Alaska one, he's said (given we're on the west coast), even if he's in a wheelchair, but while he's still able to make a longer trip he wants to do that.

Thank you all for sharing with us. I really appreciate it.

Blessings,

Sandie

Hi Cruisemom42, yes my folks are troupers just like yours. I'm so lucky we're able to travel together. So great to hear March weather in Egypt should be good. Thank you for the low stress activities suggestions, they sound really appealing, especially the fellucca sail on the Nile...how incredible would it be to experience the pyramids, camels and Nile during our brief visit? If you have any tips on choosing a fellucca sail, I'd love to hear it. (I know I'd be arranging it through a tour company but the more I learn the better I can evaluate options with the organizer.)

Whatever tour guide you select for your visit can probably arrange a felucca ride for you. I had a couple of days on my own in Cairo after my tour ended and made use of a company called Casual Cairo Detours that specializes in doing some things that are a little off the beaten path. They offer a felucca ride and while I didn't do it through them (as I had already done it through my tour group) I would highly recommend them based on the time I did spend with them. Here is a link:

http://casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/index.html

I would highly recommend Egyptian Express http://www.egyptianexpress.com/shore_excursions.html

for your situation. They are a First Class tour company, not the least expensive, but definitely the best! They will completely customize a tour for you, getting you as close as possible to all the attractions. A camel ride and a felucca ride are among the options.

One big advantage is that your local Travel Agent can book with them for you, and you can pay in the US with your credit card.

You really need to do the overnight in Cairo. Going back to the ship for the night involves a three hour drive each way. Egyptian Express will book you into a first class hotel and give you that much more time in Cairo.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Cynthia, Casual Cairo Detours sounds tailored just for us--thank you! We'll definitely check them out.

Mike, appreciate the recommendation on Egyptian Express, I especially liked that they have Egyptologists on their tours. I enjoyed your review and pics. I actually loved that your guide would have helped you with the bargaining as that's not my cup of tea--but glad you had fun! You have quite a treasure trove of cruise memories to share.

My folks will be down for the weekend—won't they be surprised by all the info everyone's shared with us. This is great! :)

Many blessings,

Sandie

Cynthia,

If you're still looking for the family trip try the Ruby's TA in Oct.09. It begins in Venice but also has a good balance of ports and sea days. It is a very active roll call with three get togthers already scheduled. I would love to see you and your mother again.

Judy:)

Cynthia,

If you're still looking for the family trip try the Ruby's TA in Oct.09. It begins in Venice but also has a good balance of ports and sea days. It is a very active roll call with three get togthers already scheduled. I would love to see you and your mother again.

Judy:)

Hi Judy!

That looks like a lovely cruise. I'm not sure I can do it, but I'm going to mention it to my folks as a possibility. They love TA cruises and live near Ft Lauderdale so it would be very convenient for them.

My son (now 16) and I are going to Japan this summer for two weeks, but for his graduation (2010) I'm already looking at another Princess Mediterranean cruise.

Archived