Portofino and the Spa on the Seranade---What night/day??

We will be sailing on the SOS in Jan. I am so excited about this cruise because I will actually have money to do the extras.

First question, What night is the best to do Portofino's? We like to do the Formal nights in the MDR, and we like to make all the big good shows. Any ideals?

Does anybody when the Spa offers the best deals on this intenary?? 5 ports followed with a Sea day.

One more stupid question... Do they do the horse race on the pool deck on this cruise. Just wondering because it only has one sea day.

Thanks

......and I wish I could answer your questions (which are not stupid, BTW). First time sailing this itinerary myself, and despite a fair amount of board research, your questions are ones that I will be interested in hearing responses to as well. So thanks for asking:)

Also, we will be sailing with you in January, feel free to chime in on the Roll Call at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=788656

Also, have you registered for the Meet&Mingle? You can do so at:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Happy pre-cruise planning!

bobj

I read that the formal nights are Sunday & Thursday so if you want to hit the dining room for those, you need to book another night for Portofino. The shows will vary by sailing so it's hard to say what a good night would be. If you are concerned about missing a show, book Portofino for a time that corresponds to normal dining hours. I've read that the bookings for the alternate restaurants are hard to get once you board since RC opened them up for online booking. Hubby and I used to go to Chops/Portofino on the first day. They would normally have the dining room menus available and we'd pick our date based on when the MDR menu didn't look as appealing. I guess those days are gone. :(

The spa normally offers the best deals during port times. Sometimes they will offer half price specials, but you have to give up you sightseeing/beach time. They also offer other specials during the week, like any 3 mini-services for $99 or so. Those are normally posted in the cruise compass. You can go by the spa when you first board and see what specials they have then.

I haven't seen horse racing on a cruise in about 3 years, but I haven't been on Serenade. I think RC stopped doing the races.

I read that the formal nights are Sunday & Thursday so if you want to hit the dining room for those, you need to book another night for Portofino. The shows will vary by sailing so it's hard to say what a good night would be. If you are concerned about missing a show, book Portofino for a time that corresponds to normal dining hours. I've read that the bookings for the alternate restaurants are hard to get once you board since RC opened them up for online booking. Hubby and I used to go to Chops/Portofino on the first day. They would normally have the dining room menus available and we'd pick our date based on when the MDR menu didn't look as appealing. I guess those days are gone. :(

The spa normally offers the best deals during port times. Sometimes they will offer half price specials, but you have to give up you sightseeing/beach time. They also offer other specials during the week, like any 3 mini-services for $99 or so. Those are normally posted in the cruise compass. You can go by the spa when you first board and see what specials they have then.

I haven't seen horse racing on a cruise in about 3 years, but I haven't been on Serenade. I think RC stopped doing the races.

Thanks so much. I'm thinking Monday will be a good day for Portofinos.

We will be sailing on the SOS in Jan. I am so excited about this cruise because I will actually have money to do the extras.

First question, What night is the best to do Portofino's? We like to do the Formal nights in the MDR, and we like to make all the big good shows. Any ideals?

You might consider the Murder Mystery Theatre on Day 4 in Portofino. Food, wine & entertainment for one price.

This is from a 2006 itinerary so some things might have changed :

Day-1 Puerto Rico - Casual dinner attire

Mandatory Lifeboat drill 8pm

All Aboard 9:30pm

Poolside Sail-away Party 9:45-10:30pm

Welcome Aboard show 10:30pm all guests

Day-2 St. Thomas - Formal attire Captains reception

production show 9 & 10:45pm

Honeymooner's Get Together 10:15pm

Day-3 St. Maarten - Casual 70's attire

Celebrity show 7 & 9pm

Who Wants to Feel Like a Millionaire Game Show 8pm

70's disco 11pm

Day-4 Antigua - Casual Caribbean attire

Headliner Show 7 & 9pm

Murder Mystery Theater in Portifino 7-10pm

Love & Marriage Game Show 10:30pm

Dancing Under the Stars pool party & poolside buffet 11:30pm

Day-5 St. Lucia - Smart Casual attire

Headliner Show 7 & 9pm

Quest 10:30pm

50's & 60's Sock Hop 11:15pm

Day-6 Barbados - Formal attire

Dance Production 9 & 10:45pm

Battle of the Sexes 10:15pm

Gala Buffet 11:30pm

Day-7 At Sea - Casual attire

Farewell Show 7 & 9pm

Farewell PJ Party 10pm

Here's a post from Ron27 who just got off the Serenade 11/29/08: Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron27 viewpost.gif

Hello everyone, my wife and I just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise on Serenade. Of all the cruises we've been on this one was our favorite. The ship was beautiful, the food was great and we had perfect weather. Some people (not us) were concerned that a gay group was onboard, but we didn't see anything inappropriate all week and we met some great people. Here are some pictures we took:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ron92201/Serenade112908#

DSC05554.JPG

DSC05643.JPG

DSC05711.JPG

DSC05475.JPG

This should get you in a Holiday mood.

Mike

Here is a summary of the Compass from three weeks ago:

Day 1 (sat) --Puerto Rico, Casual dinner attire

8:00 muster drill

10:30 voyage to adventure welcome show & Comedian

Day 2 (Sunday) St Thomas - first formal night

9:00 & 10:45 "stage to screen" show

Day 3 (Monday) St Maarten - Casual attire

Celebrity showtime (we saw Charo) 9:00 & 10:45

Day 4 (Tuesday) antigua - Casual/Caribbean

Love and Marriage Game Show 7:45

Dancing under the stars and buffet 11:00

Day 5 (Wed) St Lucia - Smart Casual

Production Showtime/Vibeology 7:00 & 9:00

Quest 10:30

Day 6 (Thursday) Barbados - Second formal night

Headliner Showtime, we saw Beatle Maniacs 9:00 & 10:45

Battle of the Sexes 10:15

Late night Adult comedy Midnight

Day 7 (Friday) Sea Day - Casual

Farewell Showtime 7:00 & 9:00

Farwell PJ party 10:00

:pPortofino's on board Jewel last year was SENSATIONAL!!! I've been caled frugal (okay cheap) sometimes, but this was the best 50$ my wife and I ever spent. (we over tipped) Great atmosphere, amazing food(get the portobello whatchamacallit, un BELIEVABLE) you will not be disappointed.

We were on the Serenade last November and went to the specialty restaurants when we were in Antigua and St. Lucia (at that time the murder mystery dinner was done on the Tuesday).

We made reservations for 8pm (had we gone to the MDR we would have been eating at 8:30pm anyways). We didn't miss any of the shows.

Archived