Which beach Coki, Sapphire or Emerald

IHATESNOW

We've been to St Thomas several times and always end up back at Coki. The snorkeling is great, the water is clear, it's a beautiful little area, the Mailman is a trip and a lot of fun to jaw with but.....

there are some seedy pesky people there, not many during the day but the biggest thing is we want to try somewhere different if it's worth it.

We've already been to Megans Bay and while I agree that it's pitcuresque, it's also like being at a lake and kind of a haul and I have no interest in going back. With that said I am looking for advice from someone who has been to both Coki and Emerald so I can compare the two. Emerald looks pretty nice and it's close to the port so I am leaning that way. I am also open to Sapphire as a back up.

Be thankful your not in ontario right now.Snowing like a son of a bitch.

We have donr Megans and yes agree it's nice. Next year we did Coki and again different but nice. Negatives to both are the 1/2 to 3/4 hour cab rides.

I have been watching this and intrigued by emerald. So close as we dock at Crown this year. Probably will do it in January anyway.

Be thankful your not in ontario right now.Snowing like a son of a bitch.

We have donr Megans and yes agree it's nice. Next year we did Coki and again different but nice. Negatives to both are the 1/2 to 3/4 hour cab rides.

I have been watching this and intrigued by emerald. So close as we dock at Crown this year. Probably will do it in January anyway.

I'm always thankful that I am not in Ontario...LOL

j/k Canada is cool, just not in the winter!

We were at Sapphire beach in November and loved it....it was beautiful. No vendors harassing you, the beach is beautiful and snorkeling is great. We swam with turtles and another couple saw a barracuda...apparently there are a couple sting rays in there too. It's a beautiful view over St John's.

Chair rentals were 7.00. Our lunch consisted of Pringles and coke from a stand on the beach as eating at the resort was pricey....something like 12.00 for a burger.

We had started out at Bolongo Beach resort, but since there was no snorkeling to speak of, took a taxi to Sapphire - we were so glad that we did.

IMG_1608.jpg.7b0f1d91921decbcc89ba5bf7ed6569f.jpg

We were at Sapphire beach in November and loved it....it was beautiful. No vendors harassing you, the beach is beautiful and snorkeling is great. We swam with turtles and another couple saw a barracuda...apparently there are a couple sting rays in there too. It's a beautiful view over St John's.

Chair rentals were 7.00. Our lunch consisted of Pringles and coke from a stand on the beach as eating at the resort was pricey....something like 12.00 for a burger.

We had started out at Bolongo Beach resort, but since there was no snorkeling to speak of, took a taxi to Sapphire - we were so glad that we did.

[ATTACH]98748[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the tip. How much was cab fare and how far was it from the port? Do they have a bar there? Did you rent snorkel equipment? If so how much was that?

We were at Sapphire in November as well, and loved our time there.

We rented Snorkel gear at the Dive Shop there; I think it was $6-8...can't remember. Pretty sure there was a bar there, but we ended up buying beers from a woman who had a small drink stand right on the beach. $2 for Coors Light.

I know there was a guy from a pizza place walking around asking if anyone wanted to order something to eat, and another woman was also taking food orders from another place...but we didn't eat there.

We took an 'official' cab, $10pp from Havensight each way. The cab driver who took us to Sapphire offered to return at a time we wanted to take us back, and we took him up on it...he returned right on time and we had a nice ride back to the ship going a different route while he gave us a 'mini-tour'...we gave him a bigger tip for the ride back to say thanks.

"Lindberg Bay, also known as Emerald Beach, is beautiful. Palm trees and sea grape trees line the shore and provide natural shade. Typically sparsely populated It is a great beach for laying back and relaxing. The water is usually very calm; perfect for swimming, wading or floating along. The shoreline provides for pleasant strolls. The beach is home to Emerald Beach Resort and Island Beachcomber Hotel. Both have neat open air beach front bars for enjoying the trade winds and a refreshing drink. Several restaurants are available for having a nice lunch or grabbing a quick snack. A water sports booth offers kayaks, snorkeling, diving, peddle boats & windsurfers among other fun activities. Families with young children will enjoy the small playground located just past the end of the beach. It is common to see iguanas in the hotel gardens and along the rocky coast close to the playground. Lingberg Bay is in close proximity to the airport and a short drive from downtown Charlotte Amalie."

Our friends went in November and said it was beautiful, but the snorkeling is poor. Depends what you want in a beach.

Looking for a beach close to port to plant my ass and have a beer. Hate the long rides to megans and coki. Read about this spot and see it's close to where we dock and emailed hotel with no repsonse. Figure chill out and then cab back to to typical shopping. Do many cruise passengers go?

We have been a fan of Emerald for over 20 years and hate to see it mentioned here :). Its perfect if you are docked at Crown Bay (the old Sub base) and we have even walked from the ship to the beach (its about a mile hike with a pretty steep hill). There is no decent snorkeling at this beach. As to Sapphire (we were just there last week) and the main restaurant is still closed (bankrupt) but there are too small places to buy food and drink as well as the well run dive shop. My only caution about Sapphire for snorkelers is that this is not for novices since you need to swim more than 100 yards with some current and waves breaking against the rocks/reef.

Hank

Looking for a beach close to port to plant my ass and have a beer. Hate the long rides to megans and coki. Read about this spot and see it's close to where we dock and emailed hotel with no repsonse. Figure chill out and then cab back to to typical shopping. Do many cruise passengers go?

You can also plant your ass over at Morningstar Beach and enjoy a few beers there. :D It's close to Havensight - about a 5-10 minute cab ride. Walking is not recommended because the hills to get there are very steep.

We have been a fan of Emerald for over 20 years and hate to see it mentioned here :). Its perfect if you are docked at Crown Bay (the old Sub base) and we have even walked from the ship to the beach (its about a mile hike with a pretty steep hill). There is no decent snorkeling at this beach. As to Sapphire (we were just there last week) and the main restaurant is still closed (bankrupt) but there are too small places to buy food and drink as well as the well run dive shop. My only caution about Sapphire for snorkelers is that this is not for novices since you need to swim more than 100 yards with some current and waves breaking against the rocks/reef.

Hank

thanks. We are likely docked at havensight and I'm curious as to how far that is to emerald.

You can also plant your ass over at Morningstar Beach and enjoy a few beers there. :D It's close to Havensight - about a 5-10 minute cab ride. Walking is not recommended because the hills to get there are very steep.

ohhhhhhh boy, another to throw into the mix!!

thanks. We are likely docked at havensight and I'm curious as to how far that is to emerald.

The distance from Havensight to Emerald is only about 3 - 3 1/2 miles, but that does not fully explain the issue. Emerald is on the other side of Charlotte Amalie (when driving from Havensight) which means the only road goes right through downtown. This road can be very congested during busy cruise days, and what should be a 10 min ride can become a 30 min stop and go in traffic. This is particularly true if you are trying to get back to the ship in late afternoon when traffic is magnified by rush hour. We once had a rental car and were driving through town in late afternoon, and it took nearly 45 min to get from downtown to Havensight (only about 1 mile). The waiting time is not an issue when pricing the taxis (the rates are set by the government) but you would want to allow adequate time to get from Emerald back to the ship.

Hank

Glad to hear these recent reports form Sapphire. We have been to St. T many, many times, but have never been to Sapphire. Thought we would give it a try next. We sail on Dec. 21st on the Mariner and will be there on Christmas Eve. We will most certainly plant our asses and have a couple of beers and I'll let you know how it was when we get back!

Glad to hear these recent reports form Sapphire. We have been to St. T many' date=' many times, but have never been to Sapphire. Thought we would give it a try next. We sail on Dec. 21st on the Mariner and will be there on Christmas Eve. We will most certainly plant our asses and have a couple of beers and I'll let you know how it was when we get back![/size']

from one assplanter to another....BOTTOMS UP!

To the best of my knowledge we dock at the other one which I guess is closer to emerald. Christmas eve you can think of your fellow posters by toasting us freezing are %#%#'s off.

I think I wll go to emerald. Any idea $$$ for a cold one there. I know at Coki they were cheaper than Megans. Mind the guy in the trailer was great on Coki. Never had to ask as just walked up and there it was all nice and cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived