Great Wolf Lodge-Cruise on Land!

rebeccalouise

Hi guys- I have been meaning to mention that my son and I went to the Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg a couple weeks ago. We went on a Sunday night.

It was fantastic. We paid $ 189.00 for a really nice room. This is the cheapest that the rates get. I was told by another guest to avoid weekends (Fri. and Sat).

I was really impressed with the Great Wolf Lodge. The waterpark is fantastic. You have to check out on the day of departure at 11AM but you are free to use the waterpark for the rest of the day (guess you have to change in the bathroom)

It was just like a cruise ship on land. I really enjoyed it and am going back with a group in January for a little getaway from the cold.

For anyone wondering- it was clean, roomy and really fun for the kids. Food was decent and not overpriced. Spa treatments were very expensive but they have a kids spa- which is cute. There are also temporary tatoos, shops, and a magic wand store. The kids use the magic wands to open up treasure chests, etc. Very fun for the kids. My son loved it.

So this is a great alternative to a cruise.

Yep I love that place! We go to the one in the Poconos. They are running a special for $179.00/night but I think it's for repeat guests.

It's a great place to go in the Wintertime.

Make sure you ask for a Kids Cabin room. They have their own bunk bed and cabin in the room.

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Sounds like a great time!!

Do you have any idea if they offer day passes to the water park? My in-laws live 1/2 hour away from Williamsburg, so we're not allowed to stay in hotels near there :rolleyes: but I've thought the water park seemed like a fun day trip...

Sounds like a great time!!

Do you have any idea if they offer day passes to the water park? My in-laws live 1/2 hour away from Williamsburg, so we're not allowed to stay in hotels near there :rolleyes: but I've thought the water park seemed like a fun day trip...

I looked on Trip Advisor and some posters there said that when they called GWL they were told that the waterpark is an "exclusive ammenity for the Lodge Guests only"

They have bday parties at the one in the Poconos though. So who knows. :confused:

The one in the Poconos has had problems...specifically pollution, sewer system not connected correctly. We saw the very first one in Ohio and really planned to go to the one in PA but after their bad PR, I don't think so. I'm not a tree hugger but I have heard other bad rapps with the franchise.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't speak to any other Great Wolf Lodge but the one in Williamsburg was very clean (at least to the naked eye) and I have a really strong sense of smell- so if was dirty, I'd know.

The beds were very clean, as were the rooms and the hotel itself. I couldn't find anything wrong with the place. That isn't to say that there are un-noticed problems.

I thought it was a great value and the staff was helpful and polite. I doubt Michelle would keep going back if the place wasn't nice in the Poconos.

Anyway, give it a try. I think you would be pleasantly surprized.

The one in the Poconos has had problems...specifically pollution, sewer system not connected correctly. We saw the very first one in Ohio and really planned to go to the one in PA but after their bad PR, I don't think so. I'm not a tree hugger but I have heard other bad rapps with the franchise.

Just my 2 cents.

Details please?

Before we went the first time, I searched and searched for stuff like that. The only thing I found was some giardia (sp?) reports in another GWL. I think that was Ohio, but don't quote me on that. ;)

When it first opened or maybe even before it opened thay had problems with their sewer waste running into a local creek. I think they also had issues with rainwater flooding the businesses below them because they didn't want to spend the $$ on the recommended plan. The sewage in creek issue occured a couple times. Since its in our TV news circle it was a lead story.

We've stayed at the one at the Wisconsin Dells and it's a wonderful property. The family rooms are huge with their lofts and balconies. The one at the Dells does have a day pass, but only during the winter months.

Another great place is Kalahari Resort and Waterpark. It was listed in the top 10 waterparks in the US.

There is a Great Wolf Lodge just north of Cinncinnati, OH. We have been twice with our two sons on spring break, which is still winter in Indiana! It was very clean, lots to do and plenty of clean towels. I would recommend ordering in or taking your own snacks. There are microwaves and small refrigerators on all the rooms, even the family suites, which are the most affordable. A nice getaway and you can stay at the water park until closing on the day you have to check out of you room. They have locker rooms.

I live in the poconos. They do not offer day passes all year, but they have a fundraiser once a year. It lasts for about a month and you can purchase a day pass and the profits go to the United Way. I would check and see if the one in Williamsburg does something similar.

Giardia , Cruisinmama , is terrible , terrible , terrible.It is a gastrointestinal bug that gives awful diarreha (sp?) , stomach cramps etc.I know , because when I first moved here to Brazil I got it (not a pleasant memory).

I think it is a protozoa , but not 100% sure.You usually get it from the water.

I think the Lodge looks amazing-I know my kids would love it.

I always thought the Poconos was for honeymooners-I remember ads in the wedding magazines I bought to plan my wedding.

Kim

Giardia , Cruisinmama , is terrible , terrible , terrible.It is a gastrointestinal bug that gives awful diarreha (sp?) , stomach cramps etc.I know , because when I first moved here to Brazil I got it (not a pleasant memory).

I think it is a protozoa , but not 100% sure.You usually get it from the water.

I think the Lodge looks amazing-I know my kids would love it.

I always thought the Poconos was for honeymooners-I remember ads in the wedding magazines I bought to plan my wedding.

Kim

Yep Giardia doesn't sound like alot of fun. ;) If I remember the article correctly, they had some reports of it at one of the Lodges, so they installed powerful UV lights. Now all of the water runs through the lights along with their strong filters.

Poconos is still for honeymooners. But now with GWL built there...it's a great place for kids too. :D

Archived