China Visas

seapenarth

IF your entries are contiguous-ie Beijing/Shanghai, Shenzhen/Macau/Beijing or any such combination, single entry is all that's required.

If your entries include a foreign country (which is the route most cruises take) between Chinese entries, double entry needed.

And then there are those who may need a MULITPLE entry visa, which is a whole 'nother animal. Itinerary: fly into Beijing for a pre cruise tour (Yangtze River, pandas in Chengdu, Llhasa, etc). Board ship Japan, then to Shangai, then to Korea, then to Dalian or Beijing (this is an actual itinerary on a HAL ship-can't remember which one).

MOST cruises need double entry visa. You have to check your itinerary.

IF your entries are contiguous-ie Beijing/Shanghai, Shenzhen/Macau/Beijing or any such combination, single entry is all that's required.

If your entries include a foreign country (which is the route most cruises take) between Chinese entries, double entry needed.

And then there are those who may need a MULITPLE entry visa, which is a whole 'nother animal. Itinerary: fly into Beijing for a pre cruise tour (Yangtze River, pandas in Chengdu, Llhasa, etc). Board ship Japan, then to Shangai, then to Korea, then to Dalian or Beijing (this is an actual itinerary on a HAL ship-can't remember which one).

MOST cruises need double entry visa. You have to check your itinerary.

Itinerary is Hong Kong - Xiamen - Jiangyin - Nanjing - Shanghai - fly home. Looks like Single Entry.

I understand that the fees are different with each country, but for point of clarification for those US tourist the cost is the same for just about any visa to China so go for multi-entry one year (I have seen reference to two year, but the consulate in DC didn't seem to have that option available when we went to get our visas). As to the above wondered how a visit to Hong Kong in between "China" visits affected a visa?

I understand that the fees are different with each country, but for point of clarification for those US tourist the cost is the same for just about any visa to China so go for multi-entry one year (I have seen reference to two year, but the consulate in DC didn't seem to have that option available when we went to get our visas). As to the above wondered how a visit to Hong Kong in between "China" visits affected a visa?

As you pointed out, the Chinese adjusted their visa fees last spring and all tourist visas are now the same price. Grabbed all that extra money from tourists going to the Olympics-should have been about $75.00 per tourist for the Olympics (single entry), NOT $110 (group visa) or $130. Just another Chinese rip off.

Hong Kong is a SAR (Special Adminstrative Region). NO visa need for Hong Kong, but if you leave the Chinese Mainland, go to Hong Kong and want to go back to the Mainland, you will need at least a double entry visa. Same thing going to Llhasa/Mongolia.

Our itinerary is:

Hong Kong, Shanghai (Entry #1 in China), Busan (S Korea), Hiroshima (japan), Kyoto (Japan), Selou (S Korea), Dalian (Entry #2 in China) and Tianjin (China).

The Chinese Embassy in Canada told me to get a multi-entry because the ship could go beyond the territorial water of China between Dalian (entry #2) and our final destination in Tianjin ... I thought that was a bit weird, but I'm not going to take a chance... so I got the multi-entry even if it's 30$ more, at least for Canadians it is!!

MC

• 2 weeks later...

Marie-Claude,

Our itinerary is the same except we are leaving Hong Kong on the 28th February. We are also applying for a multiple entry visa. I would hate to be turned away for the matter of a few dollars between a double entry and a multiple entry. It is not worth the risk.

Jennie

Archived