San Juan Liquor Store

I was on the Crown Princess last year and it left from Pan Am in Old San Juan. After checking our luggage, there was a liquor store on both the 1st and 2nd floors (free shots on the 2nd floor) and this was literally steps before going through final security and boarding the ship.

You'll just want to make sure you know the rules for which ever ship you are sailing on.

If leaving from the Pan Am pier you will experience the best duty free on the planet. In actuality it is more like a party than a duty free. There will be an employee with a microphone alerting you to available deals, unlimited free samples and a huge champagne glass full of single serving liquor bottles that you can grab from if you spend over a certain amount (the most I was able to grab was 23). I usually end up making a dozen friends there before I even board the ship.

How are you going to get the goods home? We bought 6 bottles and got a nice 'carrying case' marked BACARDI. Of course, liqour is not allowed as carryon luggage and must be checked. Our bag contained 5 broken bottles when we got home. The minis I was able to stuff in my shorts and walked on witout a problem. RCL will stowe the bottles.:(

We buy one bottle per suitcase and wrap it up good and pray hard now.

We bought 6 bottles in the S.J. duty free, brought them on board with us in our carry on bags, and dh carried a box with 3 bottles in his hands, and no questions were asked. Those 3 in the boxes were wrapped in that bubble wrap for an extra few dollars. All bottles were intact when we placed them in our liquor cabinet. 2 bottles were opened on board and enjoyed by us and our cc group, at one of our gatherings.

• 4 weeks later...
We bought 6 bottles in the S.J. duty free, brought them on board with us in our carry on bags, and dh carried a box with 3 bottles in his hands, and no questions were asked. Those 3 in the boxes were wrapped in that bubble wrap for an extra few dollars. All bottles were intact when we placed them in our liquor cabinet. 2 bottles were opened on board and enjoyed by us and our cc group, at one of our gatherings.

Who were you cruising with? We are leaving from there on Celebrity in March, and this is our first experience with Celebrity. We know a lot of ways to get things on board Carnival, but just didn't know if there's any differences with Celebrity's attitudes on alcohol.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back on Sunday from our cruise and thought I would share some info. We have a membership with Costco and there is one in Carolina near San Juan. Had a rental car for the day before the cruise and went there and bought a few bottles of wine and champagne as well as one bottle of Malibu Rum(Great price at $10.50). Good selection of wine there, but hardly any of the same as here in Indiana. We were on Celebrity and had a total of 5 bottles wine/champagne and 1 bottle of rum. They did check each bottle in carry on. My wife carried one, I had two in my carry on and then I put the rum and one bottle in checked luggage with the rum below and both bubble wrapped. We got everything through to the room. Malibu was great with the fruit punch from the dining room.

Archived