altering a rental tux

chefchick

I tried this question before with no answer, so let's try again:

I rented a tuxedo through cruiseline formalwear for my son (13 YO). He is tall and thin and I measured him according to the directions. Unfortunately, the smallest men's size jacket they had was one size too big. I rented it anyway and am hoping I can have it "altered" on board if it is in fact too large. Has anyone ever had to have small alterations done on board before?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I tried this question before with no answer, so let's try again:

I rented a tuxedo through cruiseline formalwear for my son (13 YO). He is tall and thin and I measured him according to the directions. Unfortunately, the smallest men's size jacket they had was one size too big. I rented it anyway and am hoping I can have it "altered" on board if it is in fact too large. Has anyone ever had to have small alterations done on board before?

Thank you in advance for your help.

If it is the shoulders/chest size they can't alter it...

What size is the jacket? And what are you concerned about "not fitting" - I might be able to help you with some "tricks" for better sizing or fitting...

Depending on the sizes that you are talking about, it might not end up being "that big"...

Let me know, and I'll see if I can help further.

Curt-

the jacket size is a 34 short (smallest mens size available). His chest is a 31 so I was hoping to get a 32. He's 5 foot 6 and 112 pounds. It might work, but if you have any hints I would appreciate it.

And Martin... some people were brought up properly and actually don't mind getting dressed for dinner on a special occasion (yes, even teenagers). I don't want to start ANOTHER formal clothes debate, but maybe you should just answer the question asked or skip over it.

Curt-

the jacket size is a 34 short (smallest mens size available). His chest is a 31 so I was hoping to get a 32. He's 5 foot 6 and 112 pounds. It might work, but if you have any hints I would appreciate it.

One thing to ask first (I should have asked you this before, please forgive)...

Have you actually emailed them the specific sizes he needs?

If you contact them specifically, beforehand - they can let you know if they can get that specific size to the ship for that specific sailing.

They only carry a limited amount of sizes onboard, but sometimes make the arrangements if they are requested way beforehand.

Let me know if you have done this already.

If you have already tried that option, then a 3 inch size difference in the chest, is really going to be too much for any good tricks.

I can guide you to specific websites, where you can buy/order your own - that will fit and it won't be much more than the rental fee.

They really only can slightly alter sleeves/hems and such onboard.

They really can't even do waists...

I'll keep checking back here, if you'd like more help or ideas.

Curt-

Curt's a maven on this stuff. I'm sure he'll give you some alternatives and idea's that'll help tremendously!

And Martin... some people were brought up properly and actually don't mind getting dressed for dinner on a special occasion (yes, even teenagers). I don't want to start ANOTHER formal clothes debate, but maybe you should just answer the question asked or skip over it.

Amen!

Curt-

I did give all the specific measurements requested on the form and did talk to a rep (she said they only had 34s and that the jacket size should be his chest measurement PLUS 2 inches). He might look like he's wearing a sack, but we'll do what we can. I decided to rent on board as opposed to having to lug a rental or another suit in our luggage (it has always worked out so nicely for my husband)

I'm sure the rest of it will fit, he may have to go without the jacket? At this point, I'm so looking forward to getting out of the snow and to a NYE party in the Caribbean that I'm not going to worry too much about it.

But thank you again for your assistance.

DH rented a tux for a wedding a couple of years ago and I noticed when he was measured that the jacket measurement on his card was 2" bigger than his chest measurement. Tux fit just fine.

For this cruise, I measured him at home, using http://www.blacktieformal.us/Tuxedo_Measurement.htm. They also say to add 2". (Just to double-check, he was later measured in a men's store and their measurements were the same as mine).

The 34 may be just fine. I remember several years ago, my son was in a wedding party when he was 7 and was just starting to wear size 8. When he got his measurements, the card said size 10 jacket. I remember thinking "certainly they made a mistake" but lo and behold, the 10 fit beautifully.

If you're uncertain, you can take your son to a men's formalwear store and have him try on a size 34 jacket and check the fit.

hope this helps.

Curt-

I did give all the specific measurements requested on the form and did talk to a rep (she said they only had 34s and that the jacket size should be his chest measurement PLUS 2 inches). He might look like he's wearing a sack, but we'll do what we can. I decided to rent on board as opposed to having to lug a rental or another suit in our luggage (it has always worked out so nicely for my husband)

I'm sure the rest of it will fit, he may have to go without the jacket? At this point, I'm so looking forward to getting out of the snow and to a NYE party in the Caribbean that I'm not going to worry too much about it.

But thank you again for your assistance.

DH rented a tux for a wedding a couple of years ago and I noticed when he was measured that the jacket measurement on his card was 2" bigger than his chest measurement. Tux fit just fine.

Yes on both of these. It's might be a bit big, but it's going to be okay.

For some reason this was "stuck" in my head...:o

His chest is a 31 so I was hoping to get a 32.

...so I was thinking 32 jacket, when the actual ideal is 33.

So from an ideal 33 jacket to a rental 34, it's pretty okay.;)

But, since I'm on this, just a general tip for picture taking for anyone, if you have packed clothespins in your "cruise kit", or even better binder clips - for pictures, you can always just clip on in the back waist of a jacket or top in order to just "tailor" it for the pictures only (then just take it off after the pics)...

Sometimes this little adjustment can make the clothes look a million bucks better, if it happens to look a bit "sack-like" otherwise.:cool:

Archived