Apprehensive about Singles Cruising...

mgg42

Hi all! I have been on several cruises with family and friends, but never solo.

I am giving serious consideration to trying singles cruising. But I am a little unsure about the expectations of other singles cruisers.

I have looked at some of the sights that book singles cruises, as well as some of the traveler reviews, both here and elsewhere, and I am a little suspect. It seems that most of the chatter about singles cruising is about meeting someone on board, be it the future love of your life, or just a hook-up.

What about simply singles cruising because I am single, and want to go on vacation?

I'm not interested in going "wife shopping" or trying to score. I'm interested in an enjoyable, relaxing vacation. Am I going to meet people who are interested in just having a good time, or are the other singles constantly going to be "sizing each other up".

I know it probably sounds silly, but I don't know what to expect!

Thanks!

MGG

I am giving serious consideration to trying singles cruising. But I am a little unsure about the expectations of other singles cruisers.

I have looked at some of the sights that book singles cruises, as well as some of the traveler reviews, both here and elsewhere, and I am a little suspect. It seems that most of the chatter about singles cruising is about meeting someone on board, be it the future love of your life, or just a hook-up.

What about simply singles cruising because I am single, and want to go on vacation?

I'm not interested in going "wife shopping" or trying to score. I'm interested in an enjoyable, relaxing vacation. Am I going to meet people who are interested in just having a good time, or are the other singles constantly going to be "sizing each other up".

Thanks!

MGG

Hi MGG,

Since I've never been on a "singles cruise", I can't tell you what to expect on one. However, I've been on quite a few cruises solo and have had a great time. Like you, I don't go on a cruise to hook-up, I go to have a good time. I just wanted to know that another option would be just to book a regular cruise. I've only been on Carnival which offers 1A type cabins for about 150% of the per person price. I personally love the piano bar and have met a lot of great people there.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there were other options going as a solo cruiser than just a "singles cruise."

-Mark

I'm single and have done two singles cruises with a singles cruise travel agency. I have also done 1 solo cruise and am about to do my second solo cruise. Let me say I much prefered the organized "Singles Cruise" to solo cruising (I felt a bit lonley at times on the solo cruise... but I decided to give it one more shot so we'll see how it goes.)

Now to preface this I must admit that I am one of those out there who finds that "hooking up" is an added bonus to any vacation be it at land of on sea... but that isn't why I booked the trip. I didn't see any sizing up going on and found most people were there to have fun and enjoy their vacation and relax. If you met someone you liked and it was mutual then that just happens too.

There were people on both singles cruises that ranged from 20 somethings to even 60 somethings and it was pretty easy to find people who shared your interests and ideas of what they wanted to do while on the cruise. The rowdy party bunch and the not so rowdy bunch. You have to think of it like you would any group/social setting. People are going to group themselves together with other people who enjoy the same things, but everyone was friendly and at dinner and organized cocktail parties everyone mingled equally. We all definatly felt a comraderie amongs ourselves on board as we all wore beaded necklases with our names on the beads and it was easy to spot who was with our group and who wasn't. As your walking through the boat you pass someone with a necklas we would always say hi wave smile to each other.

Your going to meet many people who are jusy looking to have a great vacation and want to relax and your going to meet people like me who want to have a great vacation but to me that means never sleeping and partying all the time, but it's pretty ballanced and I'm sure that you will have a great time! It's not a meat market type setting. So don't worry about it all. If your still unsure book a short cruise maybe 3-4 nights for your first singles cruise see how you like it, I'm sure you will do it again.

Well, after much hesitation, I booked an organized singles cruise for this March. I thought about going solo, but figured taking the singles cruise will ease me into solo cruising, if that makes any sense. I am kind of a quiet/reserved person and I thought it would be easier to make friends this way. I have my own cabin (although the price was a killer) and am really looking forward to going away for some much needed R&R after a very difficult year.

I am not looking to meet the man of my dreams and am certaintly not looking to have a one-night stand or anything like that. If I met a nice guy, that would be great, but I have zero expectations as far as men go. I would like to meet a nice group of people to hang out with and have fun on excursions with!

Well, after much hesitation, I booked an organized singles cruise for this March. I thought about going solo, but figured taking the singles cruise will ease me into solo cruising, if that makes any sense. I am kind of a quiet/reserved person and I thought it would be easier to make friends this way. I have my own cabin (although the price was a killer) and am really looking forward to going away for some much needed R&R after a very difficult year.

I am not looking to meet the man of my dreams and am certaintly not looking to have a one-night stand or anything like that. If I met a nice guy, that would be great, but I have zero expectations as far as men go. I would like to meet a nice group of people to hang out with and have fun on excursions with!

JinxyB, I am glad that you booked a singles cruise for March. I booked my first singles cruise for May 2007, I will be taking my fifth singles cruise on January 18 on the Celebrity Solstice. There are a lot of repeat singles cruisers out there. On my first singles cruise I didn't know anyone, but on my second cruise, there were some people that I knew from my first singles cruise and I know several people from previous cruises that will be on the Celebrity Solstice. You will meet a lot of fun and interesting people on these cruises and many of us previous singles cruisers watch out for one another and make sure the the quiet/reserved people are welcomed to the group. The agencies that offer single cruises also provide hosts and hostess to provide a lot of activities for the single in the group to participate in and to get aquainted with each other. These activities are always a lot of fun.

I am not looking for my future wife and I am not looking to hook up with someone. I am looking at meeting some very interesting people and making some new friends, which I have done on each singles cruise. Currently we have 213 singles booked on the Jan. 18 cruise.

Just relax, you will have a great time on this cruise.

JinxyB,

Have a great time! Don't forget to let us know how the cruise was.

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

MGG,

I just posted a mini-review of my recent solo cruise on the Carnival Fascination over in the Solo Cruising forum. You may want to try a short 4-5 day solo cruise to just dip your toe in the solo cruising waters.

Roz

If that's what you want, then don't book with a singles group. There are thousands of solos, rather than hooking up singles, that cruise every year and do this without doing a singles cruise. I've done more than 25 solo cruises all over the world, and loved every minute of them. You also limit yourself to what cruise lines you can take if you book with a singles group. Find a ship and itinerary you like and then go for it. I've met so many people on cruises, people that have become very good friends, without booking a singles cruise. Good luck and happy cruising.

• 1 month later...

Well I broke down & booked my first singles cruise for September...I love to cruise & have done my fare share with family, friends, my-ex & of course my DD but somehow on recent cruises at the single meet & mingle meetings there were like 2-4 women...in other words mostly couples or families on board. I have always met lovely people on board & was never lonely but I'm very curious on how different the organized singles events and cruises will be...looking forward to some fun & meeting some other great solo travelers...:p

Of my 9 cruises 4 or 5 of them have been Singles Cruises and the one that is listed for June 2009 is another singles cruise. What I like best about organized singles cruises is that you have a ready made group of people to hang out with. I never had a bad time on any of my cruises. Have there been people I'd rather never see again - you bet - but I also have made some great friends! When I need time to myself - I go off by myself.

I usually do the roommate matching and have never had a bad roommate. Once had a roommate that I didn't have a lot in common with, but she was a perfectly nice person. However, I call it Roommate Roulette because you never know who you'll get as a roommate and there have been people I was very happy to NOT have been matched with. But I'm willing to take my chances in order to cruise!

Overall, the pros highly outweigh the cons :)

• 4 months later...

Good for you! I cruise all the time single. This next cruise I found a roommate on http://www.travelchums.com. Good site to plan cruises and/or find cabinmates using your own search criteria.

Well I broke down & booked my first singles cruise for September...I love to cruise & have done my fare share with family, friends, my-ex & of course my DD but somehow on recent cruises at the single meet & mingle meetings there were like 2-4 women...in other words mostly couples or families on board. I have always met lovely people on board & was never lonely but I'm very curious on how different the organized singles events and cruises will be...looking forward to some fun & meeting some other great solo travelers...:p

Hi Love2cruise

I am also booked on the Sept. 19 Splendour of the Seas cruise from Venice. This will be my sixth singles cruise with this agency. I am bringing my mother with me on this cruise.

I'm sure that you will meet a lot of fun and interesting people.

You will have a great time. Dixie and Casey are among the best singles hostess and host out there.

Terry

well, Jinxy, I am going to be going on my first cruise ever and it is going on the singles hosted one at that. I don't really know what to expect, and although apprehensive, i am just going to relax and have a good time. Isn't that what vacations are for?

Thanks!

MGG

Several years ago I went as solo cruiser on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas for 7-night Caribbean cruise. Well...I was put at a dining table of two families. I asked the Maitre'd to transfer me to a different table which happen to be a part of a single's cruise group. The hostess from that travel company was also sitting at our table. She was so nice and friendly as well as all the other singles. I never felt pressured or being sized up. I think it's the "vibe" you put out there. If all you want to a do is meet and socialize with other singles when make it clear in a friendly way "that's all you want out of your vacation." Yes...and there are those for want romance and/or one-nighters and that's fine for them. If you are really concern about this speak with the cruise host/hostess prior to your cruise or once onboard. I'm sure they seen and heard everything and can reassure you of any hesitation and/or concerns you might have. Not everyone is looking for a hookup or romance. Remember also...you are not require to participate in any the singles activities other than maybe dining with the group and even that is optional is you wish. I think a singles group cruise give you the option to be with other people/singles if you want as well as being independent/alone if so desired. At least with a singles group you have some guarantee there with be other singles to socialize with exclusive activities for the group which is not always the case on a regular cruise.

Most of the companies that do singles cruises post pictures. You'll find that there are always more women then men. So, if you're a man go for it.

I went on a 'regular' cruise last year over NYE with 5 other friends. I only found 1 single guy. I guess that was because it was a Holiday cruise. This one guy hit on all of us until he scored with one. lol

As other's have said, you don't have to participate in all the functions for the Singles it's up to you.

I've read on another message board that some think only losers go on Singles cruises. I find that to be the most idiotic statement. If you don't want to be around a lot of children, you'll find the odds to be more in your favor of having other Single minded people around you, if you choose a Singles cruise. It's only at worst 1 week out of your life.

Hi Love2cruise

I am also booked on the Sept. 19 Splendour of the Seas cruise from Venice. This will be my sixth singles cruise with this agency. I am bringing my mother with me on this cruise.

I'm sure that you will meet a lot of fun and interesting people.

You will have a great time. Dixie and Casey are among the best singles hostess and host out there.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sounds so great that you have done this before & that you will be on the same cruise with me...I talked a fried of mine 6p join so I'm getting very excited...however I need to recover from the cruise we jusy came from...

So give me some hints, pointers, etc....

BTW have you been to Venice or Europe before? Are you coming the day before also?

Regards,

Barbara

Hi Barbara, this will be my first trip to Europe, my mother has been to Europe before, but this will be her first trip to Venice. I will be booking the singles group shore excursion for Athens. You will recieve more info on this from the agency later.

The agency provides a lot of activities for the singles to participate in to get to know each other better. I attend as many of these as possible and have made a lot of friends by doing this. I don't miss very many of the group activities.

We do not have an assigned table for dinner, the singles are given a section of the dinning room and may sit at any table in that section.

I will be arriving in Venice on Sept. 17 and spending 2 nights before the cruise at the Best Western Monte Carlo Hotel.

I recommend that you attend the pre-cruise party at the BW Monte Carlo the night before we board ship, I believe that it will be from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM. You will meet a lot of people there, though not everyone attends the pre-cruise party. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the hosted singles cruises.

Looking forward to meeting you onboard ship.

akycat, we are going on the same cruise in Aug, so I guess I will meet you there! You will have a great time! I did the singles cruise in March and met some really nice people...in fact, I am cruising again with a woman I met on that cruise! There was a very diverse group of people on the March cruise and most people were very laid back and friendly. The average age was probably mid to late 40s, which kind of disappointed me, but like I said I did not go to meet my future husband.:p People seemed to pair off pretty quickly, so you were determined a "couple" right from the start. That was probably the only other thing I did not like about the cruise. PM me if you have any questions!

Hi Barbara, this will be my first trip to Europe, my mother has been to Europe before, but this will be her first trip to Venice. I will be booking the singles group shore excursion for Athens. You will recieve more info on this from the agency later.

The agency provides a lot of activities for the singles to participate in to get to know each other better. I attend as many of these as possible and have made a lot of friends by doing this. I don't miss very many of the group activities.

We do not have an assigned table for dinner, the singles are given a section of the dinning room and may sit at any table in that section.

I will be arriving in Venice on Sept. 17 and spending 2 nights before the cruise at the Best Western Monte Carlo Hotel.

I recommend that you attend the pre-cruise party at the BW Monte Carlo the night before we board ship, I believe that it will be from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM. You will meet a lot of people there, though not everyone attends the pre-cruise party. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the hosted singles cruises.

Looking forward to meeting you onboard ship.

Thanks for your answer, as it's my first I do plan on getting involved in many of the activities, I usually cruise with my DD or in the past wih my ex...eventhough I always meet wonderful people on board any ship I miss the idea of going dancing & being around similarly minded people... doubt I'll find my dream partner but I'm ready to have some fun!

You will love Europe & the Greek Islands are great, I particularly love Venice, it's odd being in a town without cars...it has a certain mistique & harm to it! If you have any questions do ask...

I'm also coming in a day early to check out some old place in Venice & stating at the BW so yes I will go to the pre-cruise party...let the fun begin!

Looking forward to meeting you & others,

Barbara

BTW At last count I heard tere were 125 singles booked (75%F/25%M)

JinxyB, Glad you are going again. I am sure the group will have fun. I am assuming you booked through one of the singles hosted agencies. And I realize that you did not go to meet your future husband.... but one just never knows what is around the corner, do they? I think just relaxing and having a good time while being yourself is the best way to go through life. Do you like to dance? If so, save one or two for me. I take it that you are not attracted to older men since you were disappointed in the last cruises age range. Maybe this one will be better.

JinxyB, Glad you are going again. I am sure the group will have fun. I am assuming you booked through one of the singles hosted agencies. And I realize that you did not go to meet your future husband.... but one just never knows what is around the corner, do they? I think just relaxing and having a good time while being yourself is the best way to go through life. Do you like to dance? If so, save one or two for me. I take it that you are not attracted to older men since you were disappointed in the last cruises age range. Maybe this one will be better.

Yes, I did book through one of the singles agencies. I am looking forward to the cruise and going to ports I have never been to! I prefer dating men no older than mid-40's as I am in my early 30s. I guess "older" is all a matter of perspective, though. Nothing wrong with older men...just not romantically interested!:p

what part of ohio are you in Jinxy B? I myself live in Northern Kentucky. I think we are going to have a blast on this cruise and i like you, am looking forward to traveling to destinations that i have never been. As far as romantic interest is concerned....... well, I guess no one knows until the chemistry is concocted. I think it will be fun just to be a part of a fun group with no expectations and no pressure..... so don't think i am an easy guy and try to pick me up or anything...lol

Archived