Mid 2010 Bookings? Dalmatian Gems?

TLCOhio

I have been told that mid January will be when Seabourn has the details/prices up and open for bookings on its summer 2010 cruises. I have also been told that these details on routes and especially the costs will not be made available till mid February. Any better timing details and certainty for mid January versus February?

Has anyone lately done the Dalmatian Gems cruise on Seabourn? This seems like a great cruise with the many smaller ports it hits and its focus on these Croatian Coast areas. Any reactions, insights, loves, hates, unique experiences, etc.?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Loved it, loved it, loved it! We did it for fourteen days from Venice to Venice. The small ports were delightful and interesting and the scenery was beautiful. The only drawback, nothing do to with Seabourn, was it happened near the end of August and it was hot and filled with every summer tourist making many of the ports extremely crowded. When we tendered into Dubrovonik, at the old harbor, not only was it beautiful but calm and quiet. After off loading and entering through the old arches, rounding the corner we were hit by wall to wall people. All the larger ships anchor on the 'other' side. Would we do it again?

Yes, we loved the smaller ports and of course the Seabourn life. Perhaps they would have another sailing when it would be more off season. If not......go for whenever they do this route. Would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! We did it for fourteen days from Venice to Venice. The small ports were delightful and interesting and the scenery was beautiful. The only drawback, nothing do to with Seabourn, was it happened near the end of August and it was hot and filled with every summer tourist making many of the ports extremely crowded. When we tendered into Dubrovonik, at the old harbor, not only was it beautiful but calm and quiet. After off loading and entering through the old arches, rounding the corner we were hit by wall to wall people. All the larger ships anchor on the 'other' side. Would we do it again?

Yes, we loved the smaller ports and of course the Seabourn life. Perhaps they would have another sailing when it would be more off season. If not......go for whenever they do this route. Would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

THANKS for the added info and your enjoyment from a cruise in this area! Other than Dubrovonik, were the other smaller port along the Croatian Coast more enjoyable and less crowded? Was that a nice "plus" by using a smaller boat such as Seabourn? Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry,

I will look through my notes on this trip and get back to you regarding some of the smaller ports - which were not overly crowded. Small ports, charming walled cities inviting exploration throughout the narrow streets and beautiful coves/bays from which we anchored. It may a be a few weeks before I can followup. We are on the slow boat to Hawaii and back for 15 days, leaving on Monday. Our very first HAL experience. I refuse to compare as it is completely different from our favorite line. I have prepared my husband to have the checkbook, chit signing pin, drink cards, wine cards etc handy. We will go with the flow and enjoy the trip. I hope you do take this Seaborn trip. It is a busy one.

THANKS to CrusinMatt for the added info and pictures! Looks very "Roman" in the visuals.

Understand dd@sea will take longer for added info. Will also ask for and seek, some added info and reactions on your HAL experiences. We have a tentative booking this summer for HAL in the Med on the Noordam. We know HAL is not Crystal or Seabourn, but there is also a major cost difference/advantage. The HAL cruise there hits some key locations we are seeking and we want to try their type of ship/service/size to further sample the market options. Look forward to hearing/learning more.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We are anxiously awaiting the Dalmation Gems. I believe that the ports have changed as it does not stop in Dubrovinik. I believe Split is the largest port in Croatia that we will visit. Who is the cruise director? We absolutely love Eric on the Legend. We will be staying at the Mulino Stucky, which we booked on our own. It is on the same island as I believe the ship is docked (Giuduccia). Am I correct with that assumption? Wish I was cruising now.

We are anxiously awaiting the Dalmation Gems. I believe that the ports have changed as it does not stop in Dubrovinik. Split is the largest port in Croatia that we will visit. Who is the cruise director? We absolutely love Eric on the Legend. We will be staying at the Mulino Stucky, which we booked on our own. It is on the same island as I believe the ship is docked (Giuduccia). Am I correct with that assumption? Wish I was cruising now.

THANKS for the added info and your enjoyment from a cruise in this area! Other than Dubrovonik, were the other smaller port along the Croatian Coast more enjoyable and less crowded? Was that a nice "plus" by using a smaller boat such as Seabourn? Terry in Ohio

Nothing really competes with Dubrovnik as it has more to offer than the other coastal towns but we really like Kotor which is at the end of a southern fjord. Sailing into it is most impressive past small towns and islands. Kotor is also a walled town with narrow streets and small squares but it could have been a backdrop from a Hollywood 30`s musical. :cool:

Nothing really competes with Dubrovnik as it has more to offer than the other coastal towns but we really like Kotor which is at the end of a southern fjord. Sailing into it is most impressive past small towns and islands. Kotor is also a walled town with narrow streets and small squares but it could have been a backdrop from a Hollywood 30`s musical. :cool:

THANKS for the added comments, details and feedback! BUT, I also hear that Dubrovnik can get super crowded and overrun with the big ships docking and dumping thousands of tourists on this small city during the summer. With Seabourn doing more of the smaller ports is that a major plus or do you miss that much in not being able to stop in Dubrovnik? Reactions on these trade-offs to consider? Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

In checking today, it seems that it might be more likely in mid February before Seabourn has their mid-2010 booking details, prices, etc., available. They said many new ports and stops were being added for 2010 and beyond. Let us know on these boards if any of you "insiders" pick up added info on when the past Spring 2010 details will be available. I'm sure Martita B. will know first. She's the super expert!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On my cruise through the Panama Canal recently (Legend), I had dinner at a hosted table. I can't remember who the person was (Seabourn crew member) who mentioned, in 2010, the Legend may be going to the Seychelles. Needless to say, I snapped to attention. About 20 years ago, my first sight of Seabourn was an ad in a glossy travel magazine. I'd never seen a cabin so huge, so luxurious, and they were advertising an Africa/Seychelles cruise. It was only a dream at that point in time.

I can only hope it will be a reality.

Jane

THanks Matt for the snaps of Pula. We just booked Corfu and Croation Isles for June 09....specifically because I yearn to visit Pula.

If there is anything else you'd like to add about your visit there, I'd love to read it!

Kate

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave/Mary

I can be reached at autumnhillfarm ampersand msn dot com. Just found out that a faculty member at the college that employs me may be on a Fulbright to Croatia this summer. I need more info!

I can tell you that we have done the Amalfi drive excursion(Positano Deluxe) with Seabourn and loved it. I spent most of my time on the bus along the drive "contemplating the detailed weave of my husband's polo" (I don't do heights without Xanax - and I didn't know I'd NEED the Xanax) but lunch at the San Pietro was wonderful and the shopping in Positano was outstanding. I have some really great photos I can share on photobucket. I really recommend it. I thought about getting a driver whilst in Amalfi - but the drive was hair-raising enough in a bus...not sure how I would cope with a car.

If I remember rightly, you are on for two weeks, not our one. Do you start in Rome or end in Venice?

Look forward to talking with you -

Kate

Archived