10:20 a.m. Flight from LGB

little miss s

I'm on Princess, which I believe coming/going from the San Pedro Pier.

Would it be possible to make a 10:20 a.m. flight, getting off the ship, and going from the San Pedro pier to the Long Beach Airport?

Hmmm, if I were you, I would check to see if there's a later flight. I understand that LB Airport is much easier to deal with than LAX, but there are other factors that will be out of your control.

1) Even if your ship gets into the harbor on time (which is very likely), the disembarkation process doesn't always start on time (that was the case the last time we came into San Pedro).

2) On some cruises, there's extra time involved with the crew passing through immigration. That would affect disembarkation for the passengers.

3) Even if you get off the ship in a timely manner, if there's a major traffic jam getting into LB (which isn't far from SP, but involves the Harbor freeway), that can impede your ride to the airport.

Something to consider is if there are at least a few flights to choose from, book one that's at least 11am or later. If you get to the airport before that, see if you can get on an earlier flight.

My advice is to contact Princess to see what is the earliest flight they recommend that you book.

As noted above sometimes there is a delay getting the passengers off the ship due to the immigration process. There have been times that the immigration officers due not arrive on the ship on time or they have an insufficient number of personnel to allow for an orderly clearance of the ship. This can delay the disemabarkation.

Best advice I can give is to check with Princess.

Keith

My cousin took a Disney cruise last summer. Several other ships were disembarking in San Pedro, and there was some sort of delay in "clearing" their ship. Regardless of the cause, they were not "on the street" until 10:30. Fortunately they were coming to visit us before flying home. We had a similar experience with Carnival in Long Beach but it seemed due to their inept disembark process.

I think both cases were the exception, but it does happen....

Princess won't know ahead of time if there's going to be a delay. It's the port and federal officials who have the say.

Again, I would strongly recommend switching to a later flight, and possibly getting on standby for the earlier flight, just in case you can make it.

Princess won't know ahead of time if there's going to be a delay. It's the port and federal officials who have the say.

Again' date=' I would strongly recommend switching to a later flight, and possibly getting on standby for the earlier flight, just in case you can make it.[/quote']

I too would go with a later flight but it is always good to check with the cruise line to see what the earliest flight they would recommend. Yes, you can move it back from there but at a minimum you'll get a feel what they feel is the earliest.

Keith

It is possible, though any delay with debarkation and you could be in trouble.

We chose not do to self debarkation and were assigned 8:40am as our time to leave on our cruise last month. We tried, but they wouldn't give us an earlier time unless we did self debarkation.

We left the ship on time but had to stand in line for immigration as DW is a Canadian citizen. I believe US citizens were just waived through and did not have to wait at all. So immigration added about 20 minutes to our time. 10 minutes to get our luggage together.

But we were in a cab at 9:15am and arrived at LGB around 9:45am for our 11:15am flight. It is a very tiny airport, you get dropped off in front and walk about 20 feet to check in than walk about 30 seconds to another building were the gates are. It's very convenient actually since it is so small.

If you absolutely can't change your flight time I would suggest planning on doing self debarkation and at the very least make sure you in a group leaving by 8:40am. Also have some backup flights in mind out of LAX. I had researched some flights and had phone numbers ready in case we were not going to make our 11:15a flight. I was ready to call and book another flight if needed. (DW was all stressed out the entire last day of our cruise...for nothing I might add! :rolleyes:)

If it were not for having to wait for immigration, we would have been sitting at our gate at 9:30am...I'm not sure if they waive US citizens through on all cruises arriving in San Pedro however.

Archived