I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

Congrats ssatterly and Dobberdog, You guys are doing great! Ssatterly, I finally get to join you, I made it down to 200 today.:D Of course, you're probably below that now:rolleyes:. I had to go buy new shoes today. My shoes are too big! I wasn't expecting that. It's just great to finally be getting smaller instead of bigger!!Everyone keep up the good work and have a good one.

Sue

I am at 199 and down to a size 14

How is everyone? So what is everyone down to now? I finally got below 200. As of this morning I am at 195.5:D It's about time!! I would really like to be down to 120 by the time of my cruise, I figure it's a little over a year from now so hopefully I'll be able to do it. Dh says no, he says last time I weighed that much (1988:eek:) I was too skinny. I don't quite remember it that way tho. I figure I'll just have to take it pound by pound. But I'm really looking forward to buying new dress up clothes for the cruise. Well, you all have a good one,

Sue

How is everyone? So what is everyone down to now? I finally got below 200. As of this morning I am at 195.5:D It's about time!! I would really like to be down to 120 by the time of my cruise, I figure it's a little over a year from now so hopefully I'll be able to do it. Dh says no, he says last time I weighed that much (1988:eek:) I was too skinny. I don't quite remember it that way tho. I figure I'll just have to take it pound by pound. But I'm really looking forward to buying new dress up clothes for the cruise. Well, you all have a good one,

Sue

I am at 198 and a stall but I am down to a size 14

I am at 198 and a stall but I am down to a size 14

Congrats Ssatterly and Kanitter, You're both doing fantastic!!! A friend of mine who started at 238 and had her surgery 6 months ago just went below 150, so keep on hanging in there, I know both of you had your surgery more recently than that.

It's funny how different people can wear different sizes, I'm down 70 pounds to 241 and am getting into size 14 now. I wore a 16 pants and 14 top yesterday and had more compliments than I've ever gotten in 1 day from both adults and kids. One of the 9 yr olds in my SS class asked me if I went on one of those shows that tells you what to wear so you look good....

I actually felt a little self conscious wearing something that actually fit me, I'm so used to covering up in loose clothes but I guess since so many people commented I must look okay.

My cruise is in 10 days.....I'm so looking forward to it.... I'm taking the Unjury chicken soup protein powders that I can mix with warm water, Protein2go packets that you just mix with cold water and drink, protein bullets that pack lots of protein in 3 oz of liquid, I like to pour them over ice, some protein bars and a couple of RTD protein shakes. I figure if I can get about 50 grams of protein thru the supplements each day, then I won't worry about what I eat the rest of the day. Of course I'll stay away from the sugar and go very light on the carbs, but I love the fruits and veggies on cruises too. I just want to make sure I get the minimum 60-70 grams each day, usually I get in 90-100 a day, which consists of 2 protein shakes in the blender and a protein coffee, but none of those are easily portable.

I think it's safe to start packing now, anything that fits me today should be okay for the next 3 weeks.... It's been a strange 6 months, clothes wise, I've gone thru so many things that fit me, then when I go to wear them again a couple of weeks later they're too big... Other things fit me in the morning at home but by the end of the day are too big, those are mostly the guazy material things, they grow during the day....

Take care,

Janet

My mother in law had the procedure done 3 years ago, and less than 3 months after having it she died. I wouldnt suggest it to anyone.

Well things have changed in 3 years with the surgery. I had it going on 4 months ago and would do it again in a heart beat. I love it. We all know going into the surgery as well that there is a chance for death, but then again without it we would die as well.

My mother in law had the procedure done 3 years ago, and less than 3 months after having it she died. I wouldnt suggest it to anyone.

I'm sorry about your mil, but are you positive that it was complications from the surgery that caused her death. And also was it something the surgeons did or something she did? I don't mean to sound cold or unfeeling, believe me, I lost my mother in 2006 so I have some idea what you are going through. But you really shouldn't make blanket statements without having proof that the surgery is what caused her death. I'm sure that anyone considering the surgery is also well aware that like any kind of surgery death can occur. But the odds of dying from the surgery are a lot less than the odds of dying without the surgery and losing the weight. And some of us, just feel that the odds are worth it.

Sue

But you really shouldn't make blanket statements without having proof that the surgery is what caused her death.

ITA! Saying something like that can make someone considering have the surgery or someone that just had it..think they are gonna die and that's just not the case. Kanitter is right, please explain more before making a blunt statement like that. :(

I have just passed my 8 year anniversary since my open RNY gastric bypass. I lost 154 lb. in the first 18 months and have maintained my current weight. I paid out of pocket since my insurance wouldn't cover it. It was about $17,000. Best money I ever spent. My advice is: Make sure you choose the right Doctor and use a hospital that cares for a lot of WLS patients. Ask about his or her mortality rate and how many surgeries they have performed. I had a great Doctor in Virginia. Since he started doing this surgery he has had only 1 patient that has passed away. He does surgeries a hospital that had a block of rooms just for us. The care there was fantastic. I was home on the 3rd day and never had any problems. Yes, some people do die from this surgery but they are usually patients that went into this surgery with multiple health risks. The majority of people sail through with no problem and are better off for it by avoiding the diseases and health risk that obesity causes. The legacy of my years of being very overweight are bad knees and a lot of loose skin. I would do it again 100 times to be where I am today.

I have just passed my 8 year anniversary since my open RNY gastric bypass. I lost 154 lb. in the first 18 months and have maintained my current weight. I paid out of pocket since my insurance wouldn't cover it. It was about $17,000. Best money I ever spent. My advice is: Make sure you choose the right Doctor and use a hospital that cares for a lot of WLS patients. Ask about his or her mortality rate and how many surgeries they have performed. I had a great Doctor in Virginia. Since he started doing this surgery he has had only 1 patient that has passed away. He does surgeries a hospital that had a block of rooms just for us. The care there was fantastic. I was home on the 3rd day and never had any problems. Yes, some people do die from this surgery but they are usually patients that went into this surgery with multiple health risks. The majority of people sail through with no problem and are better off for it by avoiding the diseases and health risk that obesity causes. The legacy of my years of being very overweight are bad knees and a lot of loose skin. I would do it again 100 times to be where I am today.

Thaoff.t is so awsome I hope I can lose as much! And keep it

I was just going over some of the great achievements everybody has had:D and think some of it is kind of weird. I'm down to 191 now but am wearing size 16, ssatterly, you was heavier than that but wearing a size 14. I know it all depends on your height and how your weight is distributed so I've decided I want my doctor to stretch my legs some. I think about 6 inches should just about work.:rolleyes: I'm just barely 5'2" so that would make me 5'8". That should definelty shift some weight around, you think? DD just laughs at me (she's 5'9":eek:) she didn't get it from me. So do you think I'd have any luck finding a doc that would do this for me or am I jus sol;). You guys keep up the good work and have a good one,

Sue

I was just going over some of the great achievements everybody has had:D and think some of it is kind of weird. I'm down to 191 now but am wearing size 16, ssatterly, you was heavier than that but wearing a size 14. I know it all depends on your height and how your weight is distributed so I've decided I want my doctor to stretch my legs some. I think about 6 inches should just about work.:rolleyes: I'm just barely 5'2" so that would make me 5'8". That should definelty shift some weight around, you think? DD just laughs at me (she's 5'9":eek:) she didn't get it from me. So do you think I'd have any luck finding a doc that would do this for me or am I jus sol;). You guys keep up the good work and have a good one,

Sue

lol you are funny

Yahoo!!:D I saw my wl surgeon today for my 3 month check up. Since my first visit with him I have lost a total of 68 pounds. That really makes me feel great.:D He said my bmi has just dropped below the obese level and is now at the overweight level. I mean, I still have a lot of work to do and I still need to lose about another 40-45 pounds but it is so great for once to not have that label of "obese" hanging over my head. And I'm sure you all know exactley what I mean. And I finally got into a size 14 today! Only for the pants, I still can't wear a 14 top, the girls won't squeeze into one. :rolleyes: I think it's time to hit the thrift stores again for some more clothes. It seems like every 2-3 weeks I go in and buy a handful of clothing and take them a handful of clothing. Oh, and I asked the doc about stretching my legs, he said no:(. But he did say I gave him his laugh for the day. Of course you'd have to see my doc. My dd asked him once how tall was he, he's 6'9". I swear when I stand next to him I feel like I'm talking to his belly button. Anyway, haven't seen anyone on here for awhile, hope everyone is doing ok. Ssatterly, wishing your dh goodluck with his assignment to the police academy. You all keep up the good work and have a good one,

Sue

Yahoo!!:DI saw my wl surgeon today for my 3 month check up. Since my first visit with him I have lost a total of 68 pounds. That really makes me feel great.:D He said my bmi has just dropped below the obese level and is now at the overweight level. I mean, I still have a lot of work to do and I still need to lose about another 40-45 pounds but it is so great for once to not have that label of "obese" hanging over my head. And I'm sure you all know exactley what I mean. And I finally got into a size 14 today! Only for the pants, I still can't wear a 14 top, the girls won't squeeze into one. :rolleyes: I think it's time to hit the thrift stores again for some more clothes. It seems like every 2-3 weeks I go in and buy a handful of clothing and take them a handful of clothing. Oh, and I asked the doc about stretching my legs, he said no:(. But he did say I gave him his laugh for the day. Of course you'd have to see my doc. My dd asked him once how tall was he, he's 6'9". I swear when I stand next to him I feel like I'm talking to his belly button. Anyway, haven't seen anyone on here for awhile, hope everyone is doing ok. Ssatterly, wishing your dh goodluck with his assignment to the police academy. You all keep up the good work and have a good one,

Sue

I am down 72lbs now.... and I weight 192.... I hope he does well if he goes to the poilce academy

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well. We are enjoying the terrific weather we are having right now.:D Just found out that in the next week or two I will have to have surgery on my foot, nothing real serious, but am hoping that it won't slow down my exercising too much. Got on the scales this morning and it said 185!:D It is so weird, for years there was no way in hell that I would tell anyone how much I weighed, and now I tell everyone I know! Well, everyone have a good one,

Sue

Ssatterly, just hang in there. We all know that we are going to hit plataus at different times, right now that is what you are doing. Just watch, I bet within the next couple of weeks you will get all revved up again and losing again.:D By the way, saw a different post of yours today, congrats to your dh on his post to the academy next spring, and glad you guys still get to go on your cruise. I swear the time keeps going backwards and our cruise is never going to get here.:rolleyes: Well, keep trying you'll lose more weight, remember, you're the poster child ;) I have faith in you. Have a good one.

Sue

Ssatterly, just hang in there. We all know that we are going to hit plataus at different times, right now that is what you are doing. Just watch, I bet within the next couple of weeks you will get all revved up again and losing again.:D By the way, saw a different post of yours today, congrats to your dh on his post to the academy next spring, and glad you guys still get to go on your cruise. I swear the time keeps going backwards and our cruise is never going to get here.:rolleyes: Well, keep trying you'll lose more weight, remember, you're the poster child ;) I have faith in you. Have a good one.

Sue

Thanks.. i work out 5 days a week , I am going to try to add a few more calories into my diet that should help some as well.... Or at least I hope.. And thanks for the compliment on my DH.

I still weigh 192 and not losing....:mad:

Hang in there ssatterly, your body just needs to catch up with itself. You have been doing so fantastic and luckily not hitting plateaus. I've hit at least 1 plateau every month so far on this journey, I hit a new low then bounce around it for a couple of weeks then lose again for a few weeks, then bounce again. Take your measurements, I find that when the scale isn't moving I'm usually getting smaller.

Just got back from my cruise on Saturday. We walked over 45 miles during the 9 day cruise. According to the scale I gained 2 pounds but have now lost 3 since Saturday so I think it may have been water retention. I also lost 3 inches during the cruise. I'll post more details later.

Janet

Hang in there ssatterly, your body just needs to catch up with itself. You have been doing so fantastic and luckily not hitting plateaus. I've hit at least 1 plateau every month so far on this journey, I hit a new low then bounce around it for a couple of weeks then lose again for a few weeks, then bounce again. Take your measurements, I find that when the scale isn't moving I'm usually getting smaller.

Just got back from my cruise on Saturday. We walked over 45 miles during the 9 day cruise. According to the scale I gained 2 pounds but have now lost 3 since Saturday so I think it may have been water retention. I also lost 3 inches during the cruise. I'll post more details later.

Janet

Awsome thanks for the encouragement

Archived