I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

ssatterly and billoh, thanks for your suggestions, when I'm allowed to have food I will have to check them out. Actually I do eat the sugar free popsicles now and then. Tried the sugar free fudgesicles when they first came out and they weren't very good. But I guess I should try some of this stuff again as I'm sure they've made improvements since I first tried them. I just got used to doing without or having just a small amount of the regular stuff. But I'll have to wait awhile before I can try the key lime pie.:D My dd came over for dinner and as she walked in she said she made me a cake for mothers day. My first thought was damn, she knows I can't eat it. Then she started laughing. She put sf jello in a cake pan and added jello jigglers to spell out happy mothers day. She said she knew it was kind of silly but I thought it was cute.:) Just one more night to go, I am so looking forward to this.:D

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

Good luck! You will do fine!!! Let us know when you get home and I will be thinkibg of you!

ssatterly and billoh, thanks for your suggestions, when I'm allowed to have food I will have to check them out. Actually I do eat the sugar free popsicles now and then. Tried the sugar free fudgesicles when they first came out and they weren't very good. But I guess I should try some of this stuff again as I'm sure they've made improvements since I first tried them. I just got used to doing without or having just a small amount of the regular stuff. But I'll have to wait awhile before I can try the key lime pie.:D My dd came over for dinner and as she walked in she said she made me a cake for mothers day. My first thought was damn, she knows I can't eat it. Then she started laughing. She put sf jello in a cake pan and added jello jigglers to spell out happy mothers day. She said she knew it was kind of silly but I thought it was cute.:) Just one more night to go, I am so looking forward to this.:D

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

Good Luck!!

I had the the by-pass surgery begining of jan. and have lost 90 Lbs. No dumping, no vomitting,and can eat most anything just smaller amounts. Came out of surgery and it was like someone had removed the part of my brain that craved food. Eatting now is like an after thought not the first thought. I read the posts where everyone talks about the food on the cruise(going on my first 7-5-2009 Conquest) and all I can think of is all the things I'm gonna do, not all I'm gonna eat. Way different than my pre-surgery life. If you can, do it. It has added more life to my life and a good 15 yrs. to my life.

I had the the by-pass surgery begining of jan. and have lost 90 Lbs. No dumping, no vomitting,and can eat most anything just smaller amounts. Came out of surgery and it was like someone had removed the part of my brain that craved food. Eatting now is like an after thought not the first thought. I read the posts where everyone talks about the food on the cruise(going on my first 7-5-2009 Conquest) and all I can think of is all the things I'm gonna do, not all I'm gonna eat. Way different than my pre-surgery life. If you can, do it. It has added more life to my life and a good 15 yrs. to my life.

Wow that's excellent!! Good for you! :)

I have lost 40 lbs now in 1 month!!!!! I am so happy I already feel younger and more alive than I ever have!!!

Way to go Scott and Ssatterly!!!

I'm 3 mos post-op, down 45 pounds since surgery and not having any problems, the only thing that's bothered me is Chinese food so I'm staying away from that. My weight's not dropping as fast as I'd like, but the inches are melting off, I was wearing size 28-30 before surgery, went shopping yesterday for something to wear to my high school reunion and bought size 18!!!! Everything I tried on fit in size 18 including bathing suits.... so I'm very happy....

Janet

My paperwork was sent to the insurance company today, and I called, they did confirm receipt. Stated that I should have my answer in the next few days. This is going to be along weekend.

I am having my chest xray tomorrow, and the ECG, then I am completed with all pre-ops.

Hoping for an early June date.

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. Just go home about 10pm, Had to stop for prescriptions on the way home. Almost had a heartattack/! I use walgreens and they always have a little sticker on them that says " you're insurance saved you Whatever amount. On the one prescription it states that my insurance saved me $1159.99.:eek:This is for a 20 day supply. That's rediculous. But the main thing is I'm home.:D Actually feel pretty good. Just tired. With being diabetic they wake you up every 2 hours to do a glucose check. But going to go for now, again thanks everyone, and ssatterly and morgan , keep up the good work.And to leeanninfla, the time will go by faster than you think.

Have a good one everyone,

Sue

Welcome home! Glad everything went well, don't be surprised if you're tired for a couple of weeks, I was extrememly tired till I moved to stage 3 pureed foods. Just get in as much water as you can, and rest, your body needs to heal.

Thanks Morgan, boy are you right. Just seems like I'm really tired most of the time. I'm sure it will get better when I can start adding some more food to my diet. It hasn't helped that since getting home I decided to sleep in the recliner as dh really tosses and turns and swings arms around. My sil stayed a few days with us, she slept on air mattress in living room. She sleeps with tv on, (I don't) and snores worse than dh. :eek: Well, dh went back out on the road today and sil went home so now maybe I'll get some sleep. Did go to the park yesterday for a couple of hours for gs's birthday. It was nice to get some fresh air but after a couple of hours I was ready to come home. Feeling a little better each day, so I know it will take time. Have lost 14.5 lbs, I know it's all iv fluids and stuff but still was nice to see scale go down, not up:D. Keep up the good work on your weight loss, and have a good one.

Sue

Thanks Morgan, boy are you right. Just seems like I'm really tired most of the time. I'm sure it will get better when I can start adding some more food to my diet. It hasn't helped that since getting home I decided to sleep in the recliner as dh really tosses and turns and swings arms around. My sil stayed a few days with us, she slept on air mattress in living room. She sleeps with tv on, (I don't) and snores worse than dh. :eek: Well, dh went back out on the road today and sil went home so now maybe I'll get some sleep. Did go to the park yesterday for a couple of hours for gs's birthday. It was nice to get some fresh air but after a couple of hours I was ready to come home. Feeling a little better each day, so I know it will take time. Have lost 14.5 lbs, I know it's all iv fluids and stuff but still was nice to see scale go down, not up:D. Keep up the good work on your weight loss, and have a good one.

Sue

Sublingual B-12 will help with you not being tired...Give it a try it worked well for me!

Ssatterly, I know I have to take the b12. I've been debating the sublingual (how bad does it taste) and the monthly injections. The injections wouldn't be a problem for me as I'm diabetic so give myself injections all the time. I'm really afraid of how bad the sublingual will taste. It seems everything I've tried taste awful.:( Which do you recommend? I was joking with dh, saying that's why we lose weight, everything tastes bad. Did have some good things happen this morning, finally got dd cabin booked for our cruise. Thought I would do it while deposit was half price. Dh knows she's going but thought she was paying. Dh and I discussed it, dd does so much for me, we are going to pay for her cruise. Just a small way of saying thank you. She has been fantastic since my surgery. She's over constantly seeing if there is something she can do for me.:D She's a sweetie. But anyway, keep us the good work on those losing weight, and everyone else have a good one.

Sue

I take the sublingeaul (sp) and it's not a bad taste at all, it's such a small pill it dissolves almost on contact with my mouth. It's kind of a berry flavor. I got mine on line at Puritans Pride, they were running a special buy 2 get 3 free, I'm glad it's not bad cause I have enough to last about a year.

I also hit some pretty bad multis and calcium, I couldn't stand the flintstones chewables so I switched to Centrum 50 chewables, then found out they don't have enough iron in them for us so I bought some on line from Celebrate, I got the multis and calcium from there, one is mocha flavored and the other is hot chocolate flavored. They're pretty good. A trick I learned with the calcium is to put all 4 in a yogurt in the morning so they partially dissolve then eat half in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Ssatterly, I know I have to take the b12. I've been debating the sublingual (how bad does it taste) and the monthly injections. The injections wouldn't be a problem for me as I'm diabetic so give myself injections all the time. I'm really afraid of how bad the sublingual will taste. It seems everything I've tried taste awful.:( Which do you recommend? I was joking with dh, saying that's why we lose weight, everything tastes bad. Did have some good things happen this morning, finally got dd cabin booked for our cruise. Thought I would do it while deposit was half price. Dh knows she's going but thought she was paying. Dh and I discussed it, dd does so much for me, we are going to pay for her cruise. Just a small way of saying thank you. She has been fantastic since my surgery. She's over constantly seeing if there is something she can do for me.:D She's a sweetie. But anyway, keep us the good work on those losing weight, and everyone else have a good one.

Sue

The brand that I use is called Baratric Advantage and they do not have a taste at all I just pop them under my tounge and go! Not bad tates or taste at all.

I had the RNY 7 years ago. I have lost about 160 pounds. I feel great and it was the best thing ever. I still watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I am now a size 16-18. You may email if you have questions. shoppntchr at yahoo dot com.

I had the RNY 7 years ago. I have lost about 160 pounds. I feel great and it was the best thing ever. I still watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I am now a size 16-18. You may email if you have questions. shoppntchr at yahoo dot com.

Wow that's awesome! Good for you! :)

Well, I'm home again! Ended up getting admitted on Mon evening. I'm diabetic and some times the body just doesn't listen to me!:( Surgery wise everything had been going ok, but sugars went up then potassiurm went down. Had to spend a few days back in the hospital to get potassium level up, It was way too low. But really feel a lot better today. Have to continue taking potassium for a few more days, (Yuck) I seem to be tolerating everything on my meal plan and actually feel good enough to go with dh to store tomorrow. (Living wild, I know). Have lost 30.5 lbs so far, but I know some of that was due to being sick. Still nice to see scale go down, not up:D To shoppntcher, that is really great! You must be really proud. To everyone else, keep up the good work and hope you had a good holiday.

Sue

Well, I'm home again! Ended up getting admitted on Mon evening. I'm diabetic and some times the body just doesn't listen to me!:( Surgery wise everything had been going ok, but sugars went up then potassiurm went down. Had to spend a few days back in the hospital to get potassium level up, It was way too low. But really feel a lot better today. Have to continue taking potassium for a few more days, (Yuck) I seem to be tolerating everything on my meal plan and actually feel good enough to go with dh to store tomorrow. (Living wild, I know). Have lost 30.5 lbs so far, but I know some of that was due to being sick. Still nice to see scale go down, not up:D To shoppntcher, that is really great! You must be really proud. To everyone else, keep up the good work and hope you had a good holiday.

Sue

Glad your back home!!! I have in less than 7 weeks went from a size 24 to a size 18!!!!!!!!!

Glad your back home!!! I have in less than 7 weeks went from a size 24 to a size 18!!!!!!!!!

Great job Ssatterly! Took me about 13 weeks to go from size 30-32 down to 18!!! since I've been back to work I haven't worn the same top or dress more than once, I'm going thru them so fast, by the time I go to wear something a second time, it's too big already. Luckily I never threw anything away so I have plenty of clothes down to a size 14 in my basement.

Kanitter, so glad you're back home and doing better, as I've said before, the first few weeks after surgery were much harder than I had expected them to be, mostly because I had 3 prior abdominal/colon surgeries including a colostomy bag for 10 weeks so I was naively thinking this would be a walk in the park....didn't consider that after all my other surgeries I was eating real food within a couple of days therefore building my strength back up. Just concentrate on resting and getting in what you're supposed to for the stage you're at. It really will get much better soon.

I feel so good now, I enjoy walking places, I can keep up with my husband. I go up and down the steps without thinking about it. My chair in the living room is wondering where I am....I used to sit in there for hours every night, now some nights I don't even spend any time vegging out in it. If I eat something wrong, my body lets me know and it's not a feeling I want to have. I had to make cookies for my grandson's bake sale friday night, I did pretty good making them without sampling, but Saturday morning I wanted cookies with my coffee so I had 2, shortly after I got the headache, clammy feeling and just felt blah for a few hours because of the sugar. So, I won't be eating any more cookies, they don't even appeal to me anymore.

ssatterly and janet, you guys are really doing great!:D It's listening to stories like this that make it easier to keep going and doing things right for the stage of post surgery you are at. I think everyone deserves a big pat on the back for all your good work. Have a good one,

Sue

I am two months out and down from a size 26- to 20.

I am struggling to get enough water down and with my protein drinks, but I am hanging in and feeling good.

I am digging through my closet for smaller sizes to wear. I found some size 22 dresses that I already passed!

Good for you, digitgal!!! Isn't that an awesome thing? I'm just about 4 months out and still digging thru to find smaller sizes, I have complete wardrobes in my house ranging from size 30-32 down to 14, I'm currently into the size 18 now, but I am reallizing some of my older 18s are smaller than the current 18. I did buy 1 new outfit and a couple of bathing suits and 18 in the stores fits me perfectly. I can't believe how many things had shoulder pads back when I wore these smaller sizes, I'm even cutting them out of polo shirts!

I just this week seem to have learned something important. My weight loss has been going really slowly for the last 2 months, like about 1 pound a week. I have been exercising and sticking to the 60-70 grams of protein a day that my doctor recommends, but it's still been really slow. Weds, I was at a support meeting and some of the paperwork she passed out talked about getting more protein than that, like 100+ grams a day, I started that on Thurs and I've lost 5 pounds in the last 3 days. To get that much protein I'm putting it in my coffee, mixed in with pureed strawberries on shortcake, in my crystal light, drinking 2 protein shakes a day, but if this keeps working this well, it is worth it. I used chocolate in my coffee and unflavored for all the other additions. Just keep that in mind if things start slowing down for you. I had read in other places that you should get more than the recommended protein, but I never tried it before. I was carefully monitoring it to make sure I got 60-70 grams,no more and no less.

Archived