I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

Maybe that's the case for YOU but damn straight not for everyone. YES people need to learn what foods are out there, what's good bad...etc...but they should know that BEFORE even having surgery.

Yeah, right. That was my point. :rolleyes:

There ARE people who have excellent restraint and some learn along the way. It's about finding and teaching yourself different ways to make a meal healthy...not just avoiding everything in restaurants..but like I said some people need to do that..maybe yourself included.

I said nothing about "avoiding everything in restaurants". What I SAID was, there are certain restaurants that should be completely avoided if you have a problem dealing with weight loss. Big difference. And I stand by that. :cool:

You are correct in stating that education goes a long way. If you check the nutritional value at some of these places, there is simply no reason to eat there, at ALL.

Digitalgirl, Congratulations! Which type of surgery did you have? I'm glad you're feeling good and everything went well. After my RNY I didn't have the energy to get on the computer for about a week after I got home... you're doing great!

Well, I had gastric bypass four days ago. I waited and studied and worked 2 years for this. I did not make it lightly. Everyone has their own reasons and story. (I am concerned about some of the negative comments about WLS on these boards)

Anyway. I am walking around, hoping to go on a short bikeride today and sipping water and protein drink. I am lucky that I had no complications.

I forget the my energy is low and fall asleep pretty quickly.

Digitalgirl, It's great that you are doing so well so soon. Just don't fall asleep during your bike ride.:eek:. About the negative comments here, just don't listen. You are the only one who knows what you have been through to lose weight. Just because you've had to use surgery to help you does NOT mean that the ones that haven't are any better than you. Everyone needs different levels of help in their life. As for myself, I can hardly wait for wed. when I see my surgeon.:D

Keep up the good work,

Sue

Kanitter, thanks for the encouragement! I actually did a bike ride (short) and it was so fun. I actually had trouble napping today, but I don't want to push. It is weird, after waiting and working for so long, it is surreal that it actually happened.

I am keeping the water and protein drink down (in one ounce cups) and have had no pain at home.

I love my Tivo (or DVR) I record everything and good bye commercials!!

That helps (I think more than I realize as food is on all day).

I have a bunch of before photos from my cruises, can't wait until my next cruise for the after!

Yeah, right. That was my point. :rolleyes:

I said nothing about "avoiding everything in restaurants". What I SAID was, there are certain restaurants that should be completely avoided if you have a problem dealing with weight loss. Big difference. And I stand by that. :cool:

You are correct in stating that education goes a long way. If you check the nutritional value at some of these places, there is simply no reason to eat there, at ALL.

I don't care what you "SAID" or what your "POINT" is. I was simply giving my OWN opinion and that's it. No need to go back and fourth.

digitalgirl and ssaterly, been watching this thread since it started. Just have to say, my brother had WLS about 4 or 5 years ago. No problems. He worked had before and after. Now he speaks at the support group meetings. It has changed his life. Except....I think he was very surprised to learn that the food issues do not go away. He asked me once (I am a professional yo-yo dieter) "when will I not want to eat the wrong stuff anymore? ? Never. He's still under 200 lbs. but struggles with choices still. He has a newsletter to 100's of people and is very honest. Even admitted to going back to "closet eating". Everytime I lose, I swear, that's it! Well, like I said yo-yo girl here. But for you, the hardest part is done. I wish my daughter, who has PCOS, could afford the surgery. If had the money, I would gladly pay for her.

WLS is a wonderful tool in this new era. I say use everything you have available. For us it's a Godsend. Mayby some day photos of before and after.

I'am with you 199%

digitalgirl and ssaterly, been watching this thread since it started. Just have to say, my brother had WLS about 4 or 5 years ago. No problems. He worked had before and after. Now he speaks at the support group meetings. It has changed his life. Except....I think he was very surprised to learn that the food issues do not go away. He asked me once (I am a professional yo-yo dieter) "when will I not want to eat the wrong stuff anymore? ? Never. He's still under 200 lbs. but struggles with choices still. He has a newsletter to 100's of people and is very honest. Even admitted to going back to "closet eating". Everytime I lose, I swear, that's it! Well, like I said yo-yo girl here. But for you, the hardest part is done. I wish my daughter, who has PCOS, could afford the surgery. If had the money, I would gladly pay for her.

WLS is a wonderful tool in this new era. I say use everything you have available. For us it's a Godsend. Mayby some day photos of before and after.

I'am with you 199%

Thanks... I am feeling wonderfull already....I go back to work tommrow....I am so happy with my choice!

Well, I got some disappointing news today. I saw the surgeon today that did my lapband. He had said I needed to wait at least 6 months for everything to heal after having my band removed, for him to do surgery again. When I saw him today he said he wasn't sure if he would be able to do the RNY now afterall.:( He said there was a chance there would be too much scar tissue on the stomach. He said too much scar tissue would make it too hard to staple the stomach. He's going to discuss it with his associate and will get back to me in a few days. I was just so disappointed. He hadn't mentioned this when he removed my lapband. I was so looking forward to this and now it might not happen after all. So to say I'm bummed out would be an understatement.

But on a happier note, to all of you who have had surgery and are making progress, keep up the good work. I'm glad it's working out for you all.:D

Sue

YESSS!! Doctor called me today, surgery will be on May 12 or May 19.:D

He said he reviewed my file and feels it is worth the chance to try surgery again. So I am scheduled, the date will depend on if I can schedule a class on RNY (required by medicare) and get my bloodwork done soon enough. I'm hoping I'll have everything done and have my surgery on the 12th. I feel so much better today. I know a lot of people feel wls is just a crutch and won't help in the long run, but that is not how I look at it. I feel it's a tool I can use to help me achieve my weight loss goals. So I am planning on taking at least 75 pounds less of me on our cruise. YEA!!:D

Sue

He said he reviewed my file and feels it is worth the chance to try surgery again. So I am scheduled, the date will depend on if I can schedule a class on RNY (required by medicare) and get my bloodwork done soon enough. I'm hoping I'll have everything done and have my surgery on the 12th. I feel so much better today. I know a lot of people feel wls is just a crutch and won't help in the long run, but that is not how I look at it. I feel it's a tool I can use to help me achieve my weight loss goals. So I am planning on taking at least 75 pounds less of me on our cruise. YEA!!:D

Sue

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

I had gastric bypass surgery in December and have lost almost 70 lbs in 4 months. :p I have no regrets about my decision to have the surgery. I have experienced dumping and have learned to slow down my food intake and stay away from certain foods. I eat so much less and the weight is literally falling off of me. I am noticing that the lbs are slowing down now, which I expected. I am looking forward to my cruise in July and being able to enjoy things that I would have avoided with my previous weight - such as para sailing and kayaking. The new me loves eating fruit and finds it so satisfying even in small doses - something every cruise ship carries in abundance! The old me would be loading up on all you can eat buffets to make sure I got my money's worth.

I spent over a year researching and going through classes before my surgery. This is not an overnight decision and it affects the rest of your life. Do your homework and weigh the pros and cons.

Please check out this site: http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Gastric-Bypass-Surgery/support-group

Many people have had the surgery without insurance approval and can recommend doctor's in Mexico for a lower fee.

Good luck!

Sherri

Archived