I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

I had gastric bypass surgery in December and have lost almost 70 lbs in 4 months. :p I have no regrets about my decision to have the surgery. I have experienced dumping and have learned to slow down my food intake and stay away from certain foods. I eat so much less and the weight is literally falling off of me. I am noticing that the lbs are slowing down now, which I expected. I am looking forward to my cruise in July and being able to enjoy things that I would have avoided with my previous weight - such as para sailing and kayaking. The new me loves eating fruit and finds it so satisfying even in small doses - something every cruise ship carries in abundance! The old me would be loading up on all you can eat buffets to make sure I got my money's worth.

I spent over a year researching and going through classes before my surgery. This is not an overnight decision and it affects the rest of your life. Do your homework and weigh the pros and cons.

Good luck!

Sherri

Your story sounds a lot like my wife and I. Together we have lost around 160 and were able to parasail for the first time.

para1.jpg

You can see our ship, RCI Navigator of the Seas to the left and a Carnival and Princess ship nearby. We hit the gym everyday and the running track as well. I gained 3 pounds on teh cruise, and my wife 2, but I really think we gained all of it on the day of the flight back. It came back off quickly.

Your story sounds a lot like my wife and I. Together we have lost around 160 and were able to parasail for the first time.

para1.jpg

You can see our ship, RCI Navigator of the Seas to the left and a Carnival and Princess ship nearby. We hit the gym everyday and the running track as well. I gained 3 pounds on teh cruise, and my wife 2, but I really think we gained all of it on the day of the flight back. It came back off quickly.

Didn't see the typo on the image till it was too late to fix.

Finally got the final ok for RNY surgery.:D It's going to be on May 12, the bad part is I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am. I live almost an hour away.:eek:. I told my surgeon that I needed this surgery so I didn't make the ship list to one side when I got on. He just laughed and said then he better make sure everything goes ok,:D And thinking of cruises. The 2010 ta on jewel that I had reserved got changed. At first I was really upset but ncl actually did a great job. I had a aft facing penthouse on jewel. I ended up with a 15 day ta (different ports tho ) in an aft facing deluxe penthouse with the wrap around balcony,for the same amount that I had for the jewel, plus got $200 obc for having to change ships, and I got to keep my $500 obc I already had. So not bad, huh? I'm pleased. So it's actually been a very good day! Everyone have a good one, and for all the ones working on their weight, Keep up the good work.:D

Sue

Yeah!!! That's great!

Less than 2 weeks away, I hope you've gotten most of the pre-surgery stuff out of the way, it took me the whole 4 weeks I had from when I was given my date to get the stuff done. Of course it would have helped if my PCP and cardiologist were a little accustomed to working with the bariatric patients, the cardiologist office initially said I had to wait 2 months to get in to see him for the release. Luckily my PCP nurse was able to squeeze me in, but I ended up seeing both of them just a couple of days before my appt with the surgeon which was 3 days before surgery was scheduled.

I'll be praying that all goes well for you.

Congrats on the surgery date! I had to be there at 5:30 AM as well. I was glad because I wasn't sleeping well the night before so the early hour was a blessing - especially after a day of required fasting. Plus you will sleep great once you have been given your anesthesia.

Great news on your upgrade too! No ship tipping from the balcony!!!! :eek:

Thanks Morgan, I'm lucky on I don't have to do all the pretesting again. I had done all of it when I had the first surgery last July, they said that since it was less than a year ago I was fine. They will do some labs the morning of the surgery but that is mainly because of being diabetic.

Stam, I probably won't sleep the night before either so I guess that's good. I don't have to fast until 10pm the night before but I have to start my liquid diet tomorrow.:( So my daughter took me out to dinner tonight since I won't be eating the same anymore.:D It wouldn't be so bad, but one of the drinks they tell you is good for the liquid diet is slimfast. I really hate that stuff!!:mad:

And I promise, no ship tipping. (Is a little rocking ok?:rolleyes:)

Sue

Thanks Morgan, I'm lucky on I don't have to do all the pretesting again. I had done all of it when I had the first surgery last July, they said that since it was less than a year ago I was fine. They will do some labs the morning of the surgery but that is mainly because of being diabetic.

Stam, I probably won't sleep the night before either so I guess that's good. I don't have to fast until 10pm the night before but I have to start my liquid diet tomorrow.:( So my daughter took me out to dinner tonight since I won't be eating the same anymore.:D It wouldn't be so bad, but one of the drinks they tell you is good for the liquid diet is slimfast. I really hate that stuff!!:mad:

And I promise, no ship tipping. (Is a little rocking ok?:rolleyes:)

Sue

Try the Adkins Liquid drink it is really good and a bit cheaper than Slimfast. It has 1 or 2 grams of sugard and 15 grams of protein...Start prtoein now to help you heal faster!

ssatterly, I'll try the adkins, I think it's probably the only one left that I haven't tried.

Morgan, I've tried those, to me they are just as bad a slimfast.:( I don't know what it is about all these protein drinks but they gag me. I have to use a straw way at the back of my mouth so I taste as little as possible. The only protein drinks that aren't too bad are the special k waters. but not their protein shakes, they're bad also. I know I need the protein so I do take a protein supplement. It's called pro64. You only have to take a couple of tablespoons at one time so I can usually get that down. But thanks for the ideas,

Sue

ssatterly, I'll try the adkins, I think it's probably the only one left that I haven't tried.

Morgan, I've tried those, to me they are just as bad a slimfast.:( I don't know what it is about all these protein drinks but they gag me. I have to use a straw way at the back of my mouth so I taste as little as possible. The only protein drinks that aren't too bad are the special k waters. but not their protein shakes, they're bad also. I know I need the protein so I do take a protein supplement. It's called pro64. You only have to take a couple of tablespoons at one time so I can usually get that down. But thanks for the ideas,

Sue

Once yu have your sugery you will HAVE to take at least 80 grams of protein EVRYDAY!. I hope you are aware of that and you will have to take B-12, Iron, Calcium and A Muliti Vitiam everyday as well to stay heathly. Go to the website for bariatriceating.com They have good protein that taste like jucie called Nectar its really good....But keep in mind you will need these things everyday for the rest of your life to stay heathly.

Ssatterly, My surgeon has been really good about letting me know the extra nutrients that I need to take, and I learned a lot about this when they did the lapband surgery last year. But thanks for the reminder. And I will check out that website for the protein drink. The one I use now is called prostat 64. It's not too bad but I'm all for finding a better one. I don't know why I have such a problem with the protein drinks but it's all I can do not to throw them back up. (sorry if that's tmi!!:eek:). But I keep trying. If drinking that crap is the worst I have to do I think I can handle it. :rolleyes: Have a good weekend.

Sue

Ssatterly, My surgeon has been really good about letting me know the extra nutrients that I need to take, and I learned a lot about this when they did the lapband surgery last year. But thanks for the reminder. And I will check out that website for the protein drink. The one I use now is called prostat 64. It's not too bad but I'm all for finding a better one. I don't know why I have such a problem with the protein drinks but it's all I can do not to throw them back up. (sorry if that's tmi!!:eek:). But I keep trying. If drinking that crap is the worst I have to do I think I can handle it. :rolleyes: Have a good weekend.

Sue

ok.. I am just trying to help. I know I have had the surgery and I can already tell a diffrence with the protien and extra vitimens I have been taking and I have lost 30 lbs already...Yes in 3 weeks..So I know there is somthing to the protien and vitimins!

ssaterly, great job on the 30 pounds!!!

Just a word of warning that I wish I had been told, the first few weeks do not reflect your typical loss, I lost 42 pounds (including the 15 I gained in the hospital) by 3 weeks post-op. Since then it's averaged about 2 pounds a week. That was a big let down for me at first because I wasn't aware there would be a huge initial loss before it settled in. I was figuring out how fast I'd be at goal at the rate of 14 pounds a week....

I'm 12 weeks post-op today and have lost a total of 57 pounds, but I'm currently stuck on my 4th plateau where I don't lose anything for a couple of weeks, then I lose a pound or more a day for a few days. I've gotten to the point where the plateaus don't bother me, but at first it was devastating. I just keep taking my measurements and watching the inches melt away even when the scale is stuck.

But I do follow all the rules, especially the protein, vitamins and fluids...I have felt fine and have no regrets. Some people say that it's better to lose at this 'slower' rate cause the skin doesn't get so saggy, could you imagine the excess skin if we continued to lose 10-15 pounds a week!!!

Ssatterly and Morgan, great going girls. I hope I can do as well after surgery.:D Ssatterly, I grapped some of the atkins shakes the other day, you're right, they are not as bad as slimfast. My grandson says this one must be better because I don't make the nasty faces when I'm drinking it.:D I'm afraid this week is going to just drag along. I'm ready for the surgery to be done and over. I guess you could say I'm not the most patient person around.:rolleyes: When I'm ready to do something I want to do it NOW. Like our cruise, I want to go right now.

Have a good one everyone,

Sue

Ok, this is not fun anymore.:( I need them to do the surgery already. This is the 6th day on a liquid diet and with the pre-surgery large stomach and not the post-surgery small stomach, I'm hungry.:o I keep finding myself eyeing my grandson's cocoa puffs. And I hate chocolate cereal. It's a good thing I have so much homework to help get my mind off food. My daughter said as long as I don't start eyeing up the dog's food I'm doing ok.:eek: Honestly tho I had forgotten about this part when I had the surgery before. I don't like it and I think I'll just sit here and pout for awhile.:D Have a good one everyone!

Sue

Ok, this is not fun anymore.:( I need them to do the surgery already. This is the 6th day on a liquid diet and with the pre-surgery large stomach and not the post-surgery small stomach, I'm hungry.:o I keep finding myself eyeing my grandson's cocoa puffs. And I hate chocolate cereal. It's a good thing I have so much homework to help get my mind off food. My daughter said as long as I don't start eyeing up the dog's food I'm doing ok.:eek: Honestly tho I had forgotten about this part when I had the surgery before. I don't like it and I think I'll just sit here and pout for awhile.:D Have a good one everyone!

Sue

Hang in there Sue, they told me the reason for the liquid diet prep was to make your organs (liver, etc... ) smaller so it was easier for the doctor to do the surgery and also easier on the patient for recovery.....keep that in mind when those coco puffs are calling.

Janet

Sue

You will be and do just fine.....It very important to stay on target...It does work. I promise.

OK, someone on the main RCCI thread pointed me here. I had bypass surgery in Dec. Have my first cruise scheduled in Nov. I am down 70 pounds since surgery. I have to go back and read all the messages. So glad I found this. :D

I know just what you mean about the liquid... and try 2 more weeks after the surgery with nothing bu pureed foods. Hang in there. you will do great.

Well, I have to say you guys are a lot more sympathetic that my dh (and I don't know if I mean dear :rolleyes:) He told me just turn up the radio so I can't hear my stomach growl.:eek: He's such a brat, but I love him, just not sure why.:p I know all the reasons I have to do this are for my own good and safety, At least I only have to do this until monday evening. Then I just don't get anything. I don't know if that's good or bad. I do have to say the atkins does taste a little better than slimfast. At least the college I go to is trying to work with me so that helps. I've decided at 51 years old I needed to get my masters in accounting. Ok so I'm crazy. I take all my classes online, (didn't think I could handle being in a class with 19 or 20 year olds all day without killing someone,:D). But I have to go to the local jr college for my tests. I'm scheduled for a test in economics on the 15th but my professor got me permission to put it off until the 22nd. So I'm trying to get all of next weeks homework from economics and socialology done by monday evening, so that also helps take my mind off of food, somewhat. The liquid diet after surgery won't be so bad, tummy will be smaller and won't be as hungry. So for now I guess I'll go back to chewing on my pen and get back to homework. just needed a small break.

Have a good one everyone and keep up the good work on your wl.

Sue

Ok, guys, the dog food is starting to look good now:eek:.I decided to try some sugar free hard candy today. I've been diabetic for 27 years and never tried them. Now I know why, they are really bad!! Do people really eat this stuff? I don't consider myself as a fancy eater, (give me a bologna and potato chip sandwich and I'm happy), but I have to honestly say there is a lot of diet food out there that is just plain nasty.:( Oh, well just 2 more nights to get through. For all the mom's out there have a good mother's day, and everyone else just have a good one anyway.:D

Sue

Ok, guys, the dog food is starting to look good now:eek:.I decided to try some sugar free hard candy today. I've been diabetic for 27 years and never tried them. Now I know why, they are really bad!! Do people really eat this stuff? I don't consider myself as a fancy eater, (give me a bologna and potato chip sandwich and I'm happy), but I have to honestly say there is a lot of diet food out there that is just plain nasty.:( Oh, well just 2 more nights to get through. For all the mom's out there have a good mother's day, and everyone else just have a good one anyway.:D

Sue

It depends on the brand if its good or bad if you like chocolate try Doves sugar free dark choclate...they are AWSOME!

Sue

The sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles are good. Also the Sugar free key lime pie on the ship is really good.

ssatterly and billoh, thanks for your suggestions, when I'm allowed to have food I will have to check them out. Actually I do eat the sugar free popsicles now and then. Tried the sugar free fudgesicles when they first came out and they weren't very good. But I guess I should try some of this stuff again as I'm sure they've made improvements since I first tried them. I just got used to doing without or having just a small amount of the regular stuff. But I'll have to wait awhile before I can try the key lime pie.:D My dd came over for dinner and as she walked in she said she made me a cake for mothers day. My first thought was damn, she knows I can't eat it. Then she started laughing. She put sf jello in a cake pan and added jello jigglers to spell out happy mothers day. She said she knew it was kind of silly but I thought it was cute.:) Just one more night to go, I am so looking forward to this.:D

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

Archived